There are 253 users in the forums

What was a bigger problem last year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What was a bigger problem last year?

Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
The projected stats for Alex under both Raye and Mike J.

264 of 446 (59%) for 3276 yards, 24 TDs, 10 INTs, 90.6 QBR. (M.J.)

327 of 541 (60.4%) for 3418 yards, 26 TDs, 17 INTs, 81.5 QBR. (Raye)

Imagine what he could do with a legit OC at this point. If Harbaugh and Roman are the real deal... two rookies and then starting LT out with injury... if our OL is even marginally better... expect a 90+ QBR... and that should be plenty enough to get us a winning record. (assuming the D doesn't regress horribly)

How many games was gore out for at the end of last season? Would that have any effect on our QB's Qb rating?

5 games altogether and most of the sixth game... and heck yeah, losing your starting RB can certainly affect QB performance.

Guess Troy and Shaun Hill would have had superior numbers if Gore wasn't injured either.

No it's not Gore or the coaching the league just figured them out!

Imagine what he could do with a legit OC at this point. If Harbaugh and Roman are the real deal... two rookies and then starting LT out with injury... if our OL is even marginally better... expect a 90+ QBR... and that should be plenty enough to get us a winning record. (assuming the D doesn't regress horribly)

How many games was gore out for at the end of last season? Would that have any effect on our QB's Qb rating?

5 games altogether and most of the sixth game... and heck yeah, losing your starting RB can certainly affect QB performance.

Guess Troy and Shaun Hill would have had superior numbers if Gore wasn't injured either.

Haha, yeah... as if the reasons for why Alex will be making 5+ mil this year compared to Hill (HALF of that) and an unemployed Troy is just.... so.... confusing.

Help me out with that.... NFL teams are just so naive, is that right????

Haha, yeah... as if the reasons for why Alex will be making 5+ mil this year compared to Hill (HALF of that) and an unemployed Troy is just.... so.... confusing.

The fact that we can only compare Alex to journeyman QBs is the real joke. He's a first overall pick and playing like one are my expectations for him this season... no less no excuses!

With Hill and Troy I'll give them credit because they performed well beyond my expectations. They're backups at best in this league. So yeah Alex at the least should be better then those two but it sure looks argumentative!

Anyway staying on topic I believe coaching was the biggest problem however there were a few players who played well all season despite the fact.

No. If you make the excuse for Alex, you should make the excuse for all the other QB's. Every excuse you can make for Alex failing, you can make for all other Qb's failing. So if you're going to say that the absence of Frank contributed to Alex's less than stellar numbers, you must say the same for Troy and Hill

How did Troy come in off the street and put up better numbers against Denver and St. Louis than Alex ever has? That just doesn't make sense.

PS: The only reason why Alex is getting more of a chance than Troy and Hill has more to do with where he was picked and his age than anything else. Troy was a late round pick and is undersized. Hill is old and is a journeyman.

No. If you make the excuse for Alex, you should make the excuse for all the other QB's. Every excuse you can make for Alex failing, you can make for all other Qb's failing. So if you're going to say that the absence of Frank contributed to Alex's less than stellar numbers, you must say the same for Troy and Hill

How did Troy come in off the street and put up better numbers against Denver and St. Louis than Alex ever has? That just doesn't make sense.

PS: The only reason why Alex is getting more of a chance than Troy and Hill has more to do with where he was picked and his age than anything else. Troy was a late round pick and is undersized. Hill is old and is a journeyman.

Alex plays safe for the most part, half the major plays in the denver and st louis game were crazy throws from troy that would have been picked off against a real defense.

Ex: that deep bomb troy threw, falling backwards, off his back foot, into tripple coverage, that D. Walk snagged somehow.

[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Jun 11, 2011 at 09:32:16 ]
Safe to say it's both. Not every QBs are going to have perfect games but it's up to the coaches to make adjustments and put us in the best position to win.

Forget Alex, Shaun, JTO, etc or ANY QB, RB, WR, etc...ask yourself this: When was the last time this team was ever put in a position to win...CONSISTENTLY...from a game management/planning stand point?

Alex or any other QB we've had hasn't been good...I agree...but I've always said...we have/had bigger fish to fry. Alex Smith is/was the symptom of a MUCH LARGER problem.
^ That's right.

When you are a backup QB coming in off the bench, you have multiple things in your favor. You don't have the huge pressure on you, as generally no one expects a backup to save the day in spectacular fashion. You can have a wilder, care-free attitude and just relax... play the game. You also don't have defenses watching all your game film and breaking down your tendencies. So they are fairly unprepared for what the backup offers. At least for a while...

See, I actually am a big fan of Hill.... much respect. Now that said, he completely LOST it. His composure went straight south after time and time again of getting quick pressure. He got to the point where (like JTO) he would just slump down and allow a sack rather than even try to escape or make a play (think: Chrissy Everett).

Troy was also figured out after a couple of games and a couple of insanely thrown jump-balls that were actually caught. Once figured out, he was the absolute worst QB I have seen under center in the last decade... just terrible.

So yes, all of the problems on offense do somewhat extend to the others. But all of those other QBs just completely collapsed at some point... this is why Hill was dumped for a future 7th rounder, JTO is long gone, and Troy is surely tossed out for free.

Alex's latest play has him at around a 90 QBR with 11 TDs and 3 INTs. I know his career stats are fugly, but the trend is this... the more he actually plays? The better he gets. Where's his ceiling? Well, we just don't really know... but Harbaugh's gonna find out.
^ That's right.

When you are a backup QB coming in off the bench, you have multiple things in your favor. You don't have the huge pressure on you, as generally no one expects a backup to save the day in spectacular fashion. You can have a wilder, care-free attitude and just relax... play the game. You also don't have defenses watching all your game film and breaking down your tendencies. So they are fairly unprepared for what the backup offers. At least for a while...

See, I actually am a big fan of Hill.... much respect. Now that said, he completely LOST it. His composure went straight south after time and time again of getting quick pressure. He got to the point where (like JTO) he would just slump down and allow a sack rather than even try to escape or make a play (think: Chrissy Everett).

Troy was also figured out after a couple of games and a couple of insanely thrown jump-balls that were actually caught. Once figured out, he was the absolute worst QB I have seen under center in the last decade... just terrible.

So yes, all of the problems on offense do somewhat extend to the others. But all of those other QBs just completely collapsed at some point... this is why Hill was dumped for a future 7th rounder, JTO is long gone, and Troy is surely tossed out for free.

Alex's latest play has him at around a 90 QBR with 11 TDs and 3 INTs. I know his career stats are fugly, but the trend is this... the more he actually plays? The better he gets. Where's his ceiling? Well, we just don't really know... but Harbaugh's gonna find out.

this, plus an offense that is friendly and SMARt is why I am excited about alex's chances this year.
^ That's right.

Consistency is key. I just want one season from Alex where we don't have to extrapolate statistics in his favor. Yes, the last few games he played were impressive statistically but we're going to need to see a MUCH bigger improvement than 81.5 QB rating to 82.1. It's gotta be 87+ this season or bust.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
we're going to need to see a MUCH bigger improvement than 81.5 QB rating to 82.1. It's gotta be 87+ this season or bust.

Inclined to agree with this. Might start out a bit ugly early on (lockout "excuse"), but overall, he will need to up the numbers. It will take an upper 80 to 90 QBR for Jim to re-sign him to a long-term deal. This would keep CK on the bench to learn a while longer, obviously. He's a 2nd round pick though, and that alone doesn't make him "a must" to start anytime soon.

QB play, which has held this team back since Garcia. We could put a HOF caliber coaching staff in place but if your QB sucks you arent winning s**t.
Originally posted by JustaFan45:

The fact that we can only compare Alex to journeyman QBs is the real joke. He's a first overall pick and playing like one are my expectations for him this season... no less no excuses!

It isn't his fault he was drafted where he was, he hasn't and never will play on that level and will likely be an average QB at most. Please lower your expectations and try to make the best of what you see as a s**tty situation, instead of giving yourself fuel to incessantly complain about.

Alex had to come in for Troy in his 2nd rams game

Troy was FLUKE! He had one good game.

Anyways, the biggest problem last year was Singletary being our head coach
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:

One good game that was our 1st win
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:

One good game that was our 1st win

Alex could have won that game, and he c ould have won that game against carolina also.. (that c arr lost for us) he also could have won the 2nd rams game, if he had started.
Share 49ersWebzone