Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
crabtree is going to be our best wr

regardless if he works out with the team or not

dude held out till November and was still the leading WR. 2nd only to vernon overall on the team

last year he had career lows of receptions in games and had to deal with a changing cast of qbs, offensive coordinators and still was the leading WR and 2nd only to vernon overall on the team.

Wouldnt be surprised if crabtree shows up when Kapernick is the one throwing the ball.

He was the most targeted receiver by a large margin and yet came in at #2, and barely beat out Morgan for that spot.

I was talking yards not catches btw.

VD - Targetted 93 times, made 56 catches for 914 yards
Crabs - Targetted 101 times, made 55 catches for 741 yards
Morgan - Targetted 80 times, made 44 catches for 698 yards.

But yeah, when your 1st rounder can barely contribute more than your 6th rounder... he just flat out needs to get better.

We just flat out need to bring in some FA competition. Crabtree and Morgan are not keeping DCs up at night.

Exactly. They have 2 slow wr's with 0 athleticism. Not to mention Ginn who is fast but can't catch and scared to run routes. Long term effects of run 1st/play good defense built team. Having no speed at WR and CB are major problems.

To make matters worse at least 5/6 wr's were drafted later than Crabtree are simply outplaying him. He needs to step it up.

Nicks and Maclin are the only ones that are realy playin better and most of what Maclin has done was due to a great offense. Crabtree doesnt have the heart to become a great WR or the skill set.

What does a wide receiver need to become effective? And by the way I dont agree that Crabtree lacks either heart or the skill set. And other than 49er fans who havent got over their pique at his holdout there is little evidence, in view of the state of the team last year, to support this. With a line playing well together, which I am hoping for, and a qb handling the game rather better, which I am praying for, and a coaching staff coaching and playcalling significantly better, which I confidently expect, it will be interesting to see what he can do. Players rarely put it together at college and achieve the reputation he did, if they have no heart. I think he lacked coaching, support and the development every young player needs. Lets see how this year goes before we write him off.

I stand by what I said. He will NEVER be great. That doesnt mean he cant be good. Do you think he could ever be a top-5 WR?(not of all time jus right now)

How the hell do you know?

Never is a bit of a strong statement... but I don't think he will ever be a top 5 wr while on the Niners. He is the exact same caliber of WR he was as a rookie, he hasn't progressed at all. We had a great rookie... now we have an average #1 WR at best.

He seems like the type of player that hears all the criticism and takes it personally... rather than trying to prove his doubters wrong. The only way he becomes great is when he either mans the F up and puts in the effort or Jerry Jones makes another ridiculous Roy Williams type deal and puts him back in Dallas where he wants to be.

Players that want to be great refuse to settle when they've made a mistake... remember the first nutcracker drill when a player got the better of VD and he refused to go to the back of the line till he got another shot at that player to redeem himself. Crabtree has the talent, but he doesn't display that type of intensity or passion. IMO he is Fitzgerald if Fitz was just complacent and never strived to get better after college.
[ Edited by 5280High on Jun 1, 2011 at 4:17 PM ]
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by English:

dude held out till November and was still the leading WR. 2nd only to vernon overall on the team

last year he had career lows of receptions in games and had to deal with a changing cast of qbs, offensive coordinators and still was the leading WR and 2nd only to vernon overall on the team.

Wouldnt be surprised if crabtree shows up when Kapernick is the one throwing the ball.

He was the most targeted receiver by a large margin and yet came in at #2, and barely beat out Morgan for that spot.

But yeah, when your 1st rounder can barely contribute more than your 6th rounder... he just flat out needs to get better.

We just flat out need to bring in some FA competition. Crabtree and Morgan are not keeping DCs up at night.

Exactly. They have 2 slow wr's with 0 athleticism. Not to mention Ginn who is fast but can't catch and scared to run routes. Long term effects of run 1st/play good defense built team. Having no speed at WR and CB are major problems.

To make matters worse at least 5/6 wr's were drafted later than Crabtree are simply outplaying him. He needs to step it up.

Nicks and Maclin are the only ones that are realy playin better and most of what Maclin has done was due to a great offense. Crabtree doesnt have the heart to become a great WR or the skill set.

What does a wide receiver need to become effective? And by the way I dont agree that Crabtree lacks either heart or the skill set. And other than 49er fans who havent got over their pique at his holdout there is little evidence, in view of the state of the team last year, to support this. With a line playing well together, which I am hoping for, and a qb handling the game rather better, which I am praying for, and a coaching staff coaching and playcalling significantly better, which I confidently expect, it will be interesting to see what he can do. Players rarely put it together at college and achieve the reputation he did, if they have no heart. I think he lacked coaching, support and the development every young player needs. Lets see how this year goes before we write him off.

I stand by what I said. He will NEVER be great. That doesnt mean he cant be good. Do you think he could ever be a top-5 WR?(not of all time jus right now)

Never is a bit of a strong statement... but I don't think he will ever be a top 5 wr while on the Niners. He is the exact same caliber of WR he was as a rookie, he hasn't progressed at all. We had a great rookie... now we have an average #1 WR at best.

He seems like the type of player that hears all the criticism and takes it personally... rather than trying to prove his doubters wrong. The only way he becomes great is when he either mans the F up and puts in the effort or Jerry Jones makes another ridiculous Roy Williams type deal and puts him back in Dallas where he wants to be.

Players that want to be great refuse to settle when they've made a mistake... remember the first nutcracker drill when a player got the better of VD and he refused to go to the back of the line till he got another shot at that player to redeem himself. Crabtree has the talent, but he doesn't display that type of intensity or passion. IMO he is Fitzgerald if Fitz was just complacent and never strived to get better after college.

are you serious? he doesnt have any of the skills Fitz has..hands,speed,jumping ability but the biggest one is he deosnt have the passion for the game.

How can he progress when he missed time his rookie season due to holding out. He had the following QB's throwing him balls... Alex Smith, Troy Smith and Shaun Hill. He played in a run first offense.

Say what you want, given the circumstances he's played pretty well...look at his stats.

Also, I'd like to see what he can do in a good system and a competent receiver throwing him balls. Not every elite receiver in the league is a "yes" man "work hard" "leader" type guy. I mean, he's a receiver...he's a diva....don't try to apply FB traits to a receiver.

As far as him not being top 5. I don't think he will be with Alex as his QB.
team chemistry?

chemistry between smith an crabtree?

shouldnt smith be working on his throwing mechanics so he can accurately deliver a ball? He should work
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Quote:
Alex Smith: offensive minicamp in the works

Quarterback Alex Smith said today that plans are in the work for a minicamp-style practice involving the 49ers offensive players. Smith wouldn't give an exact date on when it would start, but he said the session would begin "shortly" and that the 49ers could have a number of sessions throughout the summer depending on how long the lockout drags on.

Asmith.jpg

The 49ers are learning new offensive and defensive playbooks, and Smith said the practices would focus on the most basic elements of that playbook. "Becoming familiar with the terminology, the formations, the motions, the concepts - things like that," he said. "So that whenever this (lockout) ends, you're not having to re-learn that."

Several teams have been holding similar sessions. The Patriots, for example, began a player-led minicamp today that attracted more than 40 players. A number of 49ers - roughly 15 or so - have been working out regularly at a South Bay location since the lockout began in March. Those sessions, however, mostly have involved weight-room training and staying in shape. Smith and a small group of receivers have worked on various aspects of the playbook together on a nearby practice field.

The upcoming camp promises to be more extensive.

Smith, who ironically is a free agent, will act as the de facto coach and essentially will run the minicamp. He said he didn't want to assemble the offensive players before now because he felt he wanted to master the playbook somewhat. "I didn't want guys to be here if it wasn't productive," Smith said. "I think there's a lot going around the league where it's a PR deal - 'Hey, we're working hard.' I don't know how efficient it is. I don't know how much guys are actually getting done. I wanted to have at least a good enough grasp on the offense so that when we did get together I could at least give these guys something and help them out."

He said the earliest practices will focus on basic elements such as calling plays, lining up correctly and snap counts. There also will be few, if any, offense vs. defense situations early on. "I've talked to the defensive guys - Justin (Smith) and Pat (Willis) - quite a bit," Smith said. "At this point, we're going to kind of keep it separate. They're on a different plan. That haven't had as much as the playbook as we've had."

In a normal offseason, the team would pay for the transportation and accommodations of young players and rookies. Smith said the 49ers veterans would share that responsibility for their upcoming camp. "Finding guys a place to stay, carpooling, picking them up, taking them home, getting them flights out - things like that," he said.

As far as veterans, Smith said that running back Frank Gore, who has recovered from last year's broken hip, plans to attend. He said he's also spoken on the phone with Michael Crabtree, one of the few receivers who has not spent time throwing with Smith this offseason. I asked why Crabtree hasn't been here to date.

"Great question," Smith said. "Asking the wrong guy."

-- Matt Barrows

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/06/alex-smith-offe.html#ixzz1O4DsedqU

Leadership. Happy to see it. Like to see it continue.

I agree. It is things like this that puts me back in Smith's corner. I just wish that his loyalty to this organization will pay out in the end for both Smith and the Niners.
facepalm.gif

How can he progress when he missed time his rookie season due to holding out. He had the following QB's throwing him balls... Alex Smith, Troy Smith and Shaun Hill. He played in a run first offense.

Say what you want, given the circumstances he's played pretty well...look at his stats.

Also, I'd like to see what he can do in a good system and a competent receiver throwing him balls. Not every elite receiver in the league is a "yes" man "work hard" "leader" type guy. I mean, he's a receiver...he's a diva....don't try to apply FB traits to a receiver.

if you go through every team in the NFL jus about everyone has a better number one. i dont think it will matter who the QB is he is not that good. TJ husmanzada 2.0

are you serious? he doesnt have any of the skills Fitz has..hands,speed,jumping ability but the biggest one is he deosnt have the passion for the game.

Saw Crabtree play in college and he made pretty good DBs look foolish. He has (had?) excellent hands and an uncanny ability to put himself between the defender and the ball. This is why I am so shocked with his performance in the NFL. I believe Harbaugh will get him to buy into the WCO and he will become a good to excellent WR.

if you go through every team in the NFL jus about everyone has a better number one. i dont think it will matter who the QB is he is not that good. TJ husmanzada 2.0

And the 9ers have arguably the worst starting QB in the league, WTF is your point? Fitzgerald's stats dropped quite a bit last year. Megatron's stats dropped quite a bit in his 2nd year as well. Did they just suck those years or were their QB's inept? You can be a great receiver, but if your QB doesn't get you the ball you will be ineffective.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that a receiver requires solid QB play to be effective?
Originally posted by servegmo:
crabtree is starting to me off!!!!

nice to see what Alex is doing!!! hope he has a good season!!!

go niners

Alex has supposedly talked to Crab over the phone and doesnt know why Crab isnt here. Sounds like Crabtree is just blowing people off and being lazy? WTF.

And the 9ers have arguably the worst starting QB in the league, WTF is your point? Fitzgerald's stats dropped quite a bit last year. Megatron's stats dropped quite a bit in his 2nd year as well. Did they just suck those years or were their QB's inept? You can be a great receiver, but if your QB doesn't get you the ball you will be ineffective.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that a receiver requires solid QB play to be effective?

Andre Johnson was puting up numbers with David Carr and then Sage Rosenfels as his QB. Jerry had good games with back ups like Bono and Grbac filling in when Young and Montana got injured. Sometimes great recievers just get open and get the ball no matter who is covering them. Crabtree doesnt seem like that.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Andre Johnson was puting up numbers with David Carr and then Sage Rosenfels as his QB. Jerry had good games with back ups like Bono and Grbac filling in when Young and Montana got injured. Sometimes great recievers just get open and get the ball no matter who is covering them. Crabtree doesnt seem like that.

One thing you failed to mention is that Houston and the 49ers had systems in place that were offensive minded. Crabtree has had neanderthal coaching by Sullivan and Singletary since he has been here. Lets not forget Sully had failed to produce a number one receiver for this team in his whole tenure here and Nolan and Singletary knew nothing about offense. Crabtree has to take some of the blame because of his lack of work ethic but he is full of talent. I can only imagine what he could accomplish if Rice could mentor Crabtree and show him how to work hard in this league much like Roger Craig help Jerry learn. He has to want to be great and Im not sure if that passion for the game is there.
Originally posted by E-49er:

One thing you failed to mention is that Houston and the 49ers had systems in place that were offensive minded. Crabtree has had neanderthal coaching by Sullivan and Singletary since he has been here. Lets not forget Sully had failed to produce a number one receiver for this team in his whole tenure here and Nolan and Singletary knew nothing about offense. Crabtree has to take some of the blame because of his lack of work ethic but he is full of talent. I can only imagine what he could accomplish if Rice could mentor Crabtree and show him how to work hard in this league much like Roger Craig help Jerry learn. He has to want to be great and Im not sure if that passion for the game is there.

That's my problem with him. I know he has talent, I really wanted us to pick him in 2009. But he hasnt shown the work to go with it and let that talent shine. He still has good size, shiftiness, and really long arms. If he worked like Rice did he could be a number one option for sure. But IIRC he even shied away from Jerry because Jerry was a little bit critical of him.
Originally posted by E-49er:

That's my problem with him. I know he has talent, I really wanted us to pick him in 2009. But he hasnt shown the work to go with it and let that talent shine. He still has good size, shiftiness, and really long arms. If he worked like Rice did he could be a number one option for sure. But IIRC he even shied away from Jerry because Jerry was a little bit critical of him.

The way I see it and you might agree is Crabtree's downfall has been: 1) Bad work ethic/no passion 2) bad offensive system/coaching 3) Lack of talent at QB 4) Crabtree's lack of talent. In that order. A competitor would have taken Jerry's comments and used that as fuel to prove him wrong not shy away from the guy.

Are you seriously comparing Sing's smash mouth up the gut system with the system Bono and Grbac played in? Are you frigging serious?

Andre Johnson is a beast....he's better than Crabs....he's faster...a lot of his TD's are based off of sheer speed. Crabs is not that kind of WR. Now what other receivers have put up big numbers with crappy QB's and systems?

How did TO do with Trent Edwards throwing him balls?
How did Brandon Marshall do with Henne throwing him balls?
How did Megatron do with Daunte Culpepper throwing him balls?
How did Fitz do with Anderson, Skelton, Hall throwing him balls?
Share 49ersWebzone