There are 255 users in the forums

Team Workouts Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Druckenmiller14:
Please explain to me how he has bad work ethic? Please provide proof...not stupid speculation.

Being injured during a preseason all of a sudden means you have no work ethic. Hillarious.

Lets be real, people are angry cuz of the hold out and for whatever reason can't let it go.

Davis got in Crabtree's face during practice because he didn't feel Crabtree was putting forth enough effort. Vernon felt something was wrong with the way MC was going about his business. But maybe you know better than he does.

Also Crabtree was among league leaders in dropped passes. To me thats a sign of lack of concentration. Before last season, and in the offseason, did he workout a lot with Alex Smith? Did he go the extra mile to make sure they were on the same page during the season.

Please provide proof. I can provide proof that he's a hard worker from the mouths of his coaches. So like I said, provide proof instead of speculation.

All you know about Crabtree is the limited information you get from reporters. You are not in the locker room, you're not in on his discussions with Alex. If his coaches tell me he's a hard worker, then that's who I'm going with.

So coaches quotes are infallible?

"Coach Mike Singletary, who on Sunday said Raye would remain coordinator for the rest of the season, said he made the decision to fire Raye after spending the night looking at game film."

Here's another coaches quote:

"We didn't get better on the field in practice, but we got better as a team," Singletary said. "This was a good thing that happened, it really was, for a number of reasons that I won't even go into. I appreciate Vernon speaking from his heart. ... (This) indeed is every bit the reason why I made him captain.

So I guess VD was in a heated altercation speaking from his heart because Crabtree said "yo mamma?" Doubt it.

Oh an please show me where a coach says Crabtree is a very hard worker? I know Roger Craig said he "thought" Crabtree was a hard worker but outside of his rookie season to get on the field, where has a coach said Crabtree works hard?

Speculation, speculation.

How about this...

Singletary also said he almost made first-round draft pick Michael Crabtree cry. Singletary found him running routes during the first minicamp and admonished him for running before he was cleared by the medical staff. Crabtree is recovering from off-season foot surgery.

Singletary recounted the conversation he had with his prized rookie.

"'I've got nothing against you. I'm not angry or anything. I just want you to know, you have to do everything the doctors want you to do so that you can get better.' I said, 'I'm not worried about what you can do.' I said, 'I know. We drafted you at No. 10. We know what you can do. We just want to make sure that when you come out here, you're ready to go.' So, he's done the things that he needs to do, spending a lot of time with (receivers coach Jerry] Sullivan. I know Jerry is excited about what he's seeing as well."

Funny how a guy with poor work ethic was out running routes before he was medically cleared to.

And how about this other article...

49ers coach Mike Singletary said he's been impressed with second-year WR Michael Crabtree during the offseason workouts. This is Crabtree's first full offseason after dealing with a foot injury and a holdout last year. "I think Crabtree continues to really carry himself well," Singletary said. "He works his tail off and is getting the work done that he needs to get done. So, I think Michael Crabtree has had a good OTA, a good minicamp." The offseason work should help his production, and he should develop chemistry with QB Alex Smith in training camp, which Crabtree didn't have last season.

Clearly Crabs is not a hard worker.

WHy did VD lay into Crabtree again? What did Sing say about it? Yeah...he's the hardest worker on the field.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Please explain to me how he has bad work ethic? Please provide proof...not stupid speculation.

Being injured during a preseason all of a sudden means you have no work ethic. Hillarious.

Lets be real, people are angry cuz of the hold out and for whatever reason can't let it go.

Davis got in Crabtree's face during practice because he didn't feel Crabtree was putting forth enough effort. Vernon felt something was wrong with the way MC was going about his business. But maybe you know better than he does.

Also Crabtree was among league leaders in dropped passes. To me thats a sign of lack of concentration. Before last season, and in the offseason, did he workout a lot with Alex Smith? Did he go the extra mile to make sure they were on the same page during the season.

Please provide proof. I can provide proof that he's a hard worker from the mouths of his coaches. So like I said, provide proof instead of speculation.

All you know about Crabtree is the limited information you get from reporters. You are not in the locker room, you're not in on his discussions with Alex. If his coaches tell me he's a hard worker, then that's who I'm going with.

"Coach Mike Singletary, who on Sunday said Raye would remain coordinator for the rest of the season, said he made the decision to fire Raye after spending the night looking at game film."

"We didn't get better on the field in practice, but we got better as a team," Singletary said. "This was a good thing that happened, it really was, for a number of reasons that I won't even go into. I appreciate Vernon speaking from his heart. ... (This) indeed is every bit the reason why I made him captain.

So I guess VD was in a heated altercation speaking from his heart because Crabtree said "yo mamma?" Doubt it.

Oh an please show me where a coach says Crabtree is a very hard worker? I know Roger Craig said he "thought" Crabtree was a hard worker but outside of his rookie season to get on the field, where has a coach said Crabtree works hard?

How about this...

Singletary also said he almost made first-round draft pick Michael Crabtree cry. Singletary found him running routes during the first minicamp and admonished him for running before he was cleared by the medical staff. Crabtree is recovering from off-season foot surgery.

"'I've got nothing against you. I'm not angry or anything. I just want you to know, you have to do everything the doctors want you to do so that you can get better.' I said, 'I'm not worried about what you can do.' I said, 'I know. We drafted you at No. 10. We know what you can do. We just want to make sure that when you come out here, you're ready to go.' So, he's done the things that he needs to do, spending a lot of time with (receivers coach Jerry] Sullivan. I know Jerry is excited about what he's seeing as well."

Funny how a guy with poor work ethic was out running routes before he was medically cleared to.

49ers coach Mike Singletary said he's been impressed with second-year WR Michael Crabtree during the offseason workouts. This is Crabtree's first full offseason after dealing with a foot injury and a holdout last year. "I think Crabtree continues to really carry himself well," Singletary said. "He works his tail off and is getting the work done that he needs to get done. So, I think Michael Crabtree has had a good OTA, a good minicamp." The offseason work should help his production, and he should develop chemistry with QB Alex Smith in training camp, which Crabtree didn't have last season.

WHy did VD lay into Crabtree again? What did Sing say about it? Yeah...he's the hardest worker on the field.

You just don't like the guy, I understand. Most people here seem to pick sides anyways.
It's not that they don't like Crabs, it is just most fans are pissed that he does seem to have a diva attitude and lack of desire to train. I was extremely excited when they drafted him, but now I am pissed too. But if tomorrow morning he showed up on the practice field and started taking the off season seriously, then I think most of us would change their mind.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
It's not that they don't like Crabs, it is just most fans are pissed that he does seem to have a diva attitude and lack of desire to train. I was extremely excited when they drafted him, but now I am pissed too. But if tomorrow morning he showed up on the practice field and started taking the off season seriously, then I think most of us would change their mind.

Shhhh. Reasonably is not allowed in this forum. every sports coach I ever had said yo play like you practice. Crabtree, other than when he was not allowed has not really participated in any camp. How many preseason games has he played? Jerry once said that Taylor was the most talented WR he had ever seen, but just needed to practice harder. Unless you are a 9er fan you probably don't know who that is. Same thing applies.
Trying to put Crabtree in perspective:

TO: a world of talent, helped the team win, but was a trainwreck waiting to happen. Ruins teams.

A Bryant: mini-TO with a good rapport with Smith but mentally unbalanced.

Lloyd: irritatingly irratic, disappears at times, not known to be a team guy, succeeds elsewhere.

After years of Dwight Clark, Jerry Rice and John Taylor, the guys above gave 9er fans a right to be a bit jumpy when a WR, who has done nothing for the team, acts like a diva. But I really think Crabtree has the ability to be a very good WR in the NFL and Harbaugh is his best shot. If he understands this (shows up to work with the team)then all will be well. If he decides that Dallas is the place he wants to be I hope the 9ers get decent picks in exchange.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 2, 2011 at 6:51 AM ]
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

I also think most fans are still living in the glory days. Understand, these workouts are NOT practice. They are not TRAINING. He is TRAINING on his own. He is a diva....but so are the elite receivers. Get over it.

When he doesn't show up for mandatory practices with you know....coaches? Then get mad. I don't get the anger that he's not showing up to a bunch of guys playing catch.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Trying to put Crabtree in perspective:

TO: a world of talent, helped the team win, but was a trainwreck waiting to happen. Ruins teams.

A Bryant: mini-TO with a good rapport with Smith but mentally unbalanced.

Lloyd: irritatingly irratic, disappears at times, not known to be a team guy, succeeds elsewhere.

After years of Dwight Clark, Jerry Rice and John Taylor, the guys above gave 9er fans a right to be a bit jumpy when a WR, who has done nothing for the team, acts like a diva. But I really think Crabtree has the ability to be a very good WR in the NFL and Harbaugh is his best shot. If he understands this (shows up to work with the team)then all will be well. If he decides that Dallas is the place he wants to be I hope the 9ers get decent picks in exchange.

I don't understand. Just a handful of 9ers have showed up....why is Crabtree getting picked on? Alex himself said these workouts really serve no purpose...they're just crap to make fans and media happy. THEY ARE NOT PRACTICING!

This is why this team has sucked for almost a decade. Fans don't seem to care about results, it's all about beign a good guy, a team guy, a nice guy, a yes man. I don't give a rat's ass what a player's like, as long as the results are there on game day. Alex has been able to get by for 6 years on being a nice guy...LOL. When are fans going to stop whining about character and demand results?

When Sing talked about his interest in Vick, fans were screaming bloody murder. "But but he's a bad person". Well, Mike Vick went on to be one of the best QB's this year and went to the playoffs. Larry Fitzgerald crapped on Andersen cuz he sucked. Imagine if that was in SF? You guys would want Fitz traded cuz he's not a "team guy".

A free agent QB is throwing the ball around and people are mad that everyone hasn't showed up? LOL.

How about this...

You just don't like the guy, I understand. Most people here seem to pick sides anyways.

So when I quote Singletary it's speculation, when you quote Singletary it's gospel? Talk about double standard. The point is this; if you're a really hard worker on the team then players wouldn't say that "Crabtree isn't even the best receiver on the team." You know what voice is painfully absent instead your contradictory, recently fired coach? I don't hear TEAMMATES saying that Crabtree is a hard worker.

It's not about like, it's about hustle. No, I don't LIKE LAZY PLAYERS regardless of WHO they are.

You don't see the difference? You are SPECULATING about what the fight was about.

I posted 2 different instances straight from Sing's MOUTH that Crabs was a hard worker.

Please name a player who has come out and said something about Crabs' work ethic. Provide me some frigging quotes instead of speculation and assumption. Can you do that?

Do you even know what speculation is?

How about this...

So when I quote Singletary it's speculation, when you quote Singletary it's gospel? Talk about double standard. The point is this; if you're a really hard worker on the team then players wouldn't say that "Crabtree isn't even the best receiver on the team." You know what voice is painfully absent instead your contradictory, recently fired coach? I don't hear TEAMMATES saying that Crabtree is a hard worker.

It's not about like, it's about hustle. No, I don't LIKE LAZY PLAYERS regardless of WHO they are.

You don't see the difference? You are SPECULATING about what the fight was about.

I posted 2 different instances straight from Sing's MOUTH that Crabs was a hard worker.

Please name a player who has come out and said something about Crabs' work ethic. Provide me some frigging quotes instead of speculation and assumption. Can you do that?

Do you even know what speculation is?

Does this guy remind anybody else of Jordan? Or is it just me?
The facts still remain that Crabtree basically sat out last preseason and it showed glaringly. He was solely responsible for multiple interceptions and I blame him 100% for the lack of chemistry. Alex Smith is a FA who, although we know he is coming back, is running and paying for the offseason workouts. This is why I back Alex and not Crabs. What sticks in my mind about Crabs is that he is a holdout one year and a sit out the next year. We will have to wait and see but expect some more "lack of chemistry" interceptions next year too between Alex and Crabs, and yes they will be Crabs fault because he is the one making a trend of not showing up when it counts.

Excuse me, but the proof is in NOT showing up.

Since he's been drafted, he's demonstrated poor work ethic, period. You SHOW up. You do whatever it takes to get the chemistry down with your QB. He's NOT a hard worker. He only does enough and that's has been his MO. Heck, the last two years prove it.

Now he had a chance, and still nothing. A perfect example of this is the fact that he's in the Bay Area and has yet to practice with Alex. Over a week now and nothing.

His co-worker, Alex, is organizing "meetings", leading sessions and going out of his way to make other less advantaged players with no money a way to get them to the practices like Johnson. That's work ethic--Alex embodies it.

Michael just doesn't get "it". His work ethic speaks volumes to his lack of understanding what it means. Even Vernon had to clarify it with him at huge volumes. It seems more about entitlement with Crabs more than anything else.

He needs to get in there period, right now! Stop hangin' out with his buds and work out with who he needs to work with--that's his teammates, not some QB who is not even showing him the new ropes and making random throws.

WTH is soooo confusing about Michael Crabtree's LACK of work ethic?

Originally posted by walker807:
The facts still remain that Crabtree basically sat out last preseason and it showed glaringly. He was solely responsible for multiple interceptions and I blame him 100% for the lack of chemistry. Alex Smith is a FA who, although we know he is coming back, is running and paying for the offseason workouts. This is why I back Alex and not Crabs. What sticks in my mind about Crabs is that he is a holdout one year and a sit out the next year. We will have to wait and see but expect some more "lack of chemistry" interceptions next year too between Alex and Crabs, and yes they will be Crabs fault because he is the one making a trend of not showing up when it counts.

I agree, though I still want Crabs to start showing up as an all-star, but I just dont see it in his play or demeanor. I'm not an Alex guy, but he deserves some credit for not taking the easy route and leaving the 49ers. He sees a team that has showed dedication to him, albeit not always in the correct way, and he wants to prove to them that they didn't make a mistake. He knows he is gonna get boo'd on his first incomplete pass but he is determined to prove the fanbase wrong and show he can be a quality starter.

Crabs demeanor reminds me allot of Marvin Harrison. The difference is that Marvin instilled confidence in his QB to get him the ball whenever possible. It is the WR's responsibility to make the QB notice him as the best option on the field. Whether its work ethic, motivation, etc. at this point I don't care... but Crabs has to start putting in the effort with Smith and CK to show them that there is no point in looking at another target because he is their man. Missing these practices even though voluntary isn't helping that cause. Missing practices and preseason games doesnt help that cause either. We don't know the severity of the injury that kept him out, and that's fine... but at some point he has to do something else to prove to his QB that he is the best option rather than just being complacent that he has the most talent.
what are we doing with Morran Norris?
Originally posted by ninertico:

Excuse me, but the proof is in NOT showing up.

Since he's been drafted, he's demonstrated poor work ethic, period. You SHOW up. You do whatever it takes to get the chemistry down with your QB. He's NOT a hard worker. He only does enough and that's has been his MO. Heck, the last two years prove it.

Now he had a chance, and still nothing. A perfect example of this is the fact that he's in the Bay Area and has yet to practice with Alex. Over a week now and nothing.

His co-worker, Alex, is organizing "meetings", leading sessions and going out of his way to make other less advantaged players with no money a way to get them to the practices like Johnson. That's work ethic--Alex embodies it.

Michael just doesn't get "it". His work ethic speaks volumes to his lack of understanding what it means. Even Vernon had to clarify it with him at huge volumes. It seems more about entitlement with Crabs more than anything else.

He needs to get in there period, right now! Stop hangin' out with his buds and work out with who he needs to work with--that's his teammates, not some QB who is not even showing him the new ropes and making random throws.

WTH is soooo confusing about Michael Crabtree's LACK of work ethic?

LOL, you seem to have your mind made up anyways. the facts don't seem to matter.

I guess every other receiver who's not out there catching balls has poor work ethic too.

Where's Vernon? Poor work ethic.
Frank? He's fully recovered. Where is he? Poor work ethic.
I sat out the last 2 weeks or so and the discussions are still the same... the lockout really sucks.

People are mad at Crabs because of the holdout. Most of us would have done the same thing. If you have an agent telling you to holdout because you deserve more than heyward-bey, you would do the same. How long it took though just sucked...
The Vernon/Crabs arguement I say who cares. Maybe he is a diva but I can't see a 20 something year old guy scheming in his head how he is going to fake an injury so he can sit out some preseason games. If he was hurt than i believe him, but i would like to see him play through it if it's not as severe.
So far this year, I don't blame him. Football's on hold. We have about 12 guys there. People don't care about the other guys, they just want someone to go after. Where's Vernon, Gore, Ginn, the other TE's, etc... He'll show up probably when there is something organized to show up to... Not just backyard toss in the park and working out in front of the media.
Share 49ersWebzone