Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by drake49er:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
The release of Franklin is a financial necessity. Franklin will be 31 by the time the season starts (if it starts), and a contract that would be big enough to keep him would essentially drain all other moneys for FA. NT is not the only position of need, we also need a CB, a C, a RG, and potentially another OLB. If we put all the money into an aging NT, we lose some leverage with the other FA positions as well as paying for diminishing returns with Franklin.

I do recognize that there will be degraded performance at the NT position in the 3-4, but Fangio has said that it will be a hybrid 3-4/4-3 defense. In the hybrid defense, McDonald and Soapaga would play the DT position with the Mizzou Smiths playing DE. In a 3-4 allignment, Soapaga/McDonald slide to NT/DE (diminished play), with J.Smith at the other position.

In total, I don't think the loss of Franklin will spell doom for this defense. The run defense might drop slightly, but with the Mizzou Smiths and McDonald, the pass rush from the D-line will improve.

Prudent financial decision!

Not the money I'm worried about, it's the product after the signing.

Just my opinion...I hope we don't resign Franklin. I think he is going to disappear once he gets that big contract. I'm all for Soap moving to NT.

Heck, he disappeared after he got the franchise tag and decided to miss almost all of training camp.

-9fA

he was injured i think
e did a pretty decent job last year a 3-4 NT wont get too much stats his job is to anchor the D line

Thats the first time I've ever heard that. You got some inside info?

lol thats why i said i think i dont remember

either way if we dont resign franklin we better resign lawson our run D will take a significant hit if we lose both of them

Sopo had some back trouble early in his career.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Based on previous discussions it seems like Fangio wants more of a wide-bodied two gapper NT who can also collapse the pocket and disallow the QB to step up (and who's excellent in short yardage)...these are skills Fraklin does not posses. He's a one-gapper who must rely on veteran savy to choose the correct gap and penetrate and I don't think I've ever seen him win a short yardage battle esp. goal line stands were 99% of the time it seems teams have no problems running right up the middle between the tackles for an easy TD. No?

I think the Aldon pic solidified for me how much weight Fangio carries with this team and as a 3-4 guru, you KNOW he understands how critical it is to possess the right kind of NT to make the entire defense work (e.g. Wilkfork). I was very surprised, yet again, we passed on every NT in the draft (year after year after year) and we have an excellent DL coach in Tomsula who could have developed him quickly...so why not pick one even in the later rounds if he had the phsyical makeup and tools b/c RJF is just like Franklin?

I "think" the Niners knew Franklin wanted out and will command top money and someone is going to sell out like we did with Clements (and pay for it). I'm hoping they have a contingency plan in place...and the more "versatility" is stressed with Baalke on all of our picks, I'm starting to wonder myself if for 2011, Fangio runs many more 4-3 looks from the base 3-4 to stop the run and allow our playmakers to make plays down hill (Willis, Brooks, LaBoy, Aldon inside and out, Smith, perhaps more CB and safety blitzes) and NEXT year go NT #1 over all? This will be a new defense for the whole team and perhaps, they are anticipating a shortened season and viewing 2011 as an extended pre season to truly assess the personnel we have and how they fit into the system.

Just a theory...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Lets just put effort in signing Jamal Williams for a stop-gap and let Sopoaga rotate with him.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Lets just put effort in signing Jamal Williams for a stop-gap and let Sopoaga rotate with him.

sure worked for the broncos..
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jojomellon:

sure worked for the broncos..

Well for what its worth, the Broncos are interested in re-signing him. But I guess if he didn't work out with Denver, then he won't work out here right?? Wrong thinking IMO, at this point, what would it hurt?? I'm not sold on anyone as our starting NT on the roster, Williams at least brings more experience than any D-lineman on the roster for the NT position.
GANGSTA

or the corner of Mission and Onondaga
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:
GANGSTA

Shotta!!!
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I thought Sopoaga played better at NT then Franklin when it was a two gap scheme, but when Manusky changed it that is when Franklin emerged and played better.

Rick Jean Francois played well in preseason, then when he played in a game in winter like conditions he was not accustomed to the icy fields and he said that Franklin gave him pointers on how to play in those conditions next time.

Our defense line coach knows each players strengths and he must have convinced Harbaugh that the DL can be productive with the players already on the roster. That Tofuku guy looked pretty solid when he was brought in.
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:
GANGSTA

Shotta!!!

dont mess with the flying hawiians
Originally posted by sdninerfan:
The release of Franklin is a financial necessity. Franklin will be 31 by the time the season starts (if it starts), and a contract that would be big enough to keep him would essentially drain all other moneys for FA. NT is not the only position of need, we also need a CB, a C, a RG, and potentially another OLB. If we put all the money into an aging NT, we lose some leverage with the other FA positions as well as paying for diminishing returns with Franklin.

I do recognize that there will be degraded performance at the NT position in the 3-4, but Fangio has said that it will be a hybrid 3-4/4-3 defense. In the hybrid defense, McDonald and Soapaga would play the DT position with the Mizzou Smiths playing DE. In a 3-4 allignment, Soapaga/McDonald slide to NT/DE (diminished play), with J.Smith at the other position.

In total, I don't think the loss of Franklin will spell doom for this defense. The run defense might drop slightly, but with the Mizzou Smiths and McDonald, the pass rush from the D-line will improve.

Just my opinion...I hope we don't resign Franklin. I think he is going to disappear once he gets that big contract. I'm all for Soap moving to NT.

Heck, he disappeared after he got the franchise tag and decided to miss almost all of training camp.

-9fA

he was injured i think
e did a pretty decent job last year a 3-4 NT wont get too much stats his job is to anchor the D line

either way if we dont resign franklin we better resign lawson our run D will take a significant hit if we lose both of them

I think we'll be ok. Our run defense is so good because of those two MLBs, and because teams didn't need to run as they could pass all day on us.

Not to mention, there seems to be a de-emphasizing of the run game in general in the NFL. That doesn't mean teams won't run, but they're just not emphasizing it, and have proven that a great passing game can win championships with or without a great (or even good) run game.

Point being, more teams are looking to build up their pass rush defense more so than their run defense (very difficult to be great in both), so investing heavily into run-stopping d-linemen (3-4 NTs or otherwise) is simply not as important or highly valued.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by sdninerfan:

-9fA

he was injured i think

I think we'll be ok. Our run defense is so good because of those two MLBs, and because teams didn't need to run as they could pass all day on us.

Not to mention, there seems to be a de-emphasizing of the run game in general in the NFL. That doesn't mean teams won't run, but they're just not emphasizing it, and have proven that a great passing game can win championships with or without a great (or even good) run game.

Point being, more teams are looking to build up their pass rush defense more so than their run defense (very difficult to be great in both), so investing heavily into run-stopping d-linemen (3-4 NTs or otherwise) is simply not as important or highly valued.

Exactly, Franklin's skill set is not as imperative as it was a few years ago. A combination of Soapaga and McDonald should produce a more consistent rush than Franklin and Soapaga.

I wouldn't be surprised if Baalke pursued an NT or 3-4 DE when FA opens (whenever that happens)
Can't wait for FA time and the settling of the CBA so that we can see how the Niners will resolve the NT question.
Kris Jenkins and Sopoago will be fine at NT.
I hope so...this guys an animal...love seeing the samoan giant maulin in the middle!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by strickac:
Kris Jenkins and Sopoago will be fine at NT.

Kris Jenkins hasn't been healthy the last two years.
Share 49ersWebzone