There are 183 users in the forums

Isaac Sopoaga moving to NT

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
The release of Franklin is a financial necessity. Franklin will be 31 by the time the season starts (if it starts), and a contract that would be big enough to keep him would essentially drain all other moneys for FA. NT is not the only position of need, we also need a CB, a C, a RG, and potentially another OLB. If we put all the money into an aging NT, we lose some leverage with the other FA positions as well as paying for diminishing returns with Franklin.

I do recognize that there will be degraded performance at the NT position in the 3-4, but Fangio has said that it will be a hybrid 3-4/4-3 defense. In the hybrid defense, McDonald and Soapaga would play the DT position with the Mizzou Smiths playing DE. In a 3-4 allignment, Soapaga/McDonald slide to NT/DE (diminished play), with J.Smith at the other position.

In total, I don't think the loss of Franklin will spell doom for this defense. The run defense might drop slightly, but with the Mizzou Smiths and McDonald, the pass rush from the D-line will improve.

Prudent financial decision!

In a passing league, I would love for an offense to be forced to be patient with getting 4.5 yards a play per run.

The key down is the 3rd down and that's the down we need to stop. Most teams pass out of that down and if they run the ball, then it will be an obvious run situation and we can put the right BIG personnel on the field.

I would rather shut down the pass in today's NFL than get burned for big TD's over our CB's every game.
Originally posted by Joecool:
The release of Franklin is a financial necessity. Franklin will be 31 by the time the season starts (if it starts), and a contract that would be big enough to keep him would essentially drain all other moneys for FA. NT is not the only position of need, we also need a CB, a C, a RG, and potentially another OLB. If we put all the money into an aging NT, we lose some leverage with the other FA positions as well as paying for diminishing returns with Franklin.

I do recognize that there will be degraded performance at the NT position in the 3-4, but Fangio has said that it will be a hybrid 3-4/4-3 defense. In the hybrid defense, McDonald and Soapaga would play the DT position with the Mizzou Smiths playing DE. In a 3-4 allignment, Soapaga/McDonald slide to NT/DE (diminished play), with J.Smith at the other position.

In total, I don't think the loss of Franklin will spell doom for this defense. The run defense might drop slightly, but with the Mizzou Smiths and McDonald, the pass rush from the D-line will improve.

In a passing league, I would love for an offense to be forced to be patient with getting 4.5 yards a play per run.

The key down is the 3rd down and that's the down we need to stop. Most teams pass out of that down and if they run the ball, then it will be an obvious run situation and we can put the right BIG personnel on the field.

I would rather shut down the pass in today's NFL than get burned for big TD's over our CB's every game.

Well said. The run-stopping NT will fall out of favor as the league shifts toward a passing predominant league.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I hope we don't sign Franklin to a big contract. Just put Soap in at Nose. He's under contract for a more years.
[ Edited by mayo49 on May 13, 2011 at 3:08 PM ]

Well said. The run-stopping NT will fall out of favor as the league shifts toward a passing predominant league.

Even a run-dominant team can't stay with the run all game. If they do, then they better have a damn good defense and not fall behind.

Not the money I'm worried about, it's the product after the signing.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Just my opinion...I hope we don't resign Franklin. I think he is going to disappear once he gets that big contract. I'm all for Soap moving to NT.
Originally posted by drake49er:

Just my opinion...I hope we don't resign Franklin. I think he is going to disappear once he gets that big contract. I'm all for Soap moving to NT.

Heck, he disappeared after he got the franchise tag and decided to miss almost all of training camp.

-9fA
Originally posted by PTulini:
How often did we play one-gap with out DL? It seemed quite often. If Ice hasn't stepped forward as a NT by now, I don't think it will happen.

But he hasn't been asked to play NT in last few seasons.

I know so doesn't that tell you more about where the DL coach felt ICE would be most effective and that they didn't feel as if he would be as good on the inside?

Or maybe the old DC thought Franklin was a better NT for his 3-4 system than Soap? And maybe Fangio thinks Soap is fine at NT for what his system requires. We as fans just don't know.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Heck, he disappeared after he got the franchise tag and decided to miss almost all of training camp.

-9fA

he was injured i think

e did a pretty decent job last year a 3-4 NT wont get too much stats his job is to anchor the D line
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

-9fA

he was injured i think
e did a pretty decent job last year a 3-4 NT wont get too much stats his job is to anchor the D line

Thats the first time I've ever heard that. You got some inside info?

-9fA

he was injured i think

lol thats why i said i think i dont remember

either way if we dont resign franklin we better resign lawson our run D will take a significant hit if we lose both of them

-9fA

he was injured i think

He did an ok job last year, but he was nowhere near how he played in 2009-2010 when he was playing at a pro-bowl level.

-9fA
---
[ Edited by communist on May 13, 2011 at 5:46 PM ]

-9fA

he was injured i think

lol thats why i said i think i dont remember

either way if we dont resign franklin we better resign lawson our run D will take a significant hit if we lose both of them

I think we'll be ok. Our run defense is so good because of those two MLBs, and because teams didn't need to run as they could pass all day on us.
Originally posted by sdninerfan:

I think we'll be ok. Our run defense is so good because of those two MLBs, and because teams didn't need to run as they could pass all day on us.

(simplistically speaking)

YES! A man who watched these games closely enough!
Share 49ersWebzone