There are 218 users in the forums

Isaac Sopoaga moving to NT

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by strickac:
Kris Jenkins and Sopoago will be fine at NT.

Kris Jenkins hasn't been healthy the last two years.

lol yes i watched him blow his knee that last time it was a shame to see, i really think he's a great player if he could just stay healthy, i'd take a flyer never know he could be like walt!
Originally posted by strickac:
Kris Jenkins and Sopoago will be fine at NT.

he wont play NT, but kris brother cullen jenkins is the jenkins u wana sign this offseason
DE Sopoaga says he'd be OK with move back to middle

Quote:
“To be honest, I would love for Aubrayo Franklin to be back with us,” Sopoaga said. “But whatever comes through, I don’t mind doing it because I did it my first four years … I’m a happy guy. It doesn’t matter where they put me. I say I’m ‘The Bullet.’ Just load me in and just go. I’m comfortable playing nose tackle or D-end. As long as it’s on the D-line area, I’m fine.”

Quote:
“To me, 320 as a nose tackle is heavy enough,” Sopoaga said. “I’d rather be comfortable than being just a big guy. I want to chase plays, beat the guy in front of me before the quarterback can hand off the ball to the running back … I used to be that (big) guy my first four years when I played at 335 or 330. It was OK, but it was not fun. It’s fun making plays on the line of scrimmage, but it’s a greater feeling when you make plays in the backfield. That’s my thing.”
Damn when I read this I thought Sopoaga was gonna move to Niner Talk as if he actually posted here
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Damn when I read this I thought Sopoaga was gonna move to Niner Talk as if he actually posted here

lol..
  • ttime
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Im all for it.......that man is a line mover......he is sole reason why Justin Smith is a Pro Bowler.

Yeah....not really, but ok!

It's one of those IMO kinda things but nobady cant deny it......

Denied. He is opposite. He holds the line and get no penetration. He has absolutely nothing to do with J.Smith being a Pro Bowler. He plays on the opposite side, does not command a double team and get no pressure. He is most responsible for the team's horrid QB pressure.
Originally posted by ttime:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Im all for it.......that man is a line mover......he is sole reason why Justin Smith is a Pro Bowler.

Yeah....not really, but ok!

It's one of those IMO kinda things but nobady cant deny it......

Denied. He is opposite. He holds the line and get no penetration. He has absolutely nothing to do with J.Smith being a Pro Bowler. He plays on the opposite side, does not command a double team and get no pressure. He is most responsible for the team's horrid QB pressure.

We are talking about Soap right? I was hoping for an upg at NT and someone to replace soap on the line, but we didnt get either. (well we got aldon smith but...)
  • ttime
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by FreddyG:

I disagree with this. He has absolutely nothing to do with Justin Smith being a pro-bowler. Soap gets zero penetration and due to this, make it easier for the offense to block Manny or who ever else in playing next to him. He holds the line well and enables Willis to make plays, but as far as him being a play maker, he is the strongest weakest link on the DL.

The strongest weakest link.....what does that even mean,....he's the Merlin Olsen to the Deacon Jones.

how many times he benched 225 at the combine...hes strong...but a weak player...*sigh*

and this is coming from........probably a guy who doesnt even weigh 225......a weak player the man has been a consistent starter in the NFL, you gotta be a strong player to do that.....

225 would be way too big for me im 5'10 175 but back on topic... yeah dude is garbage.

Dude is not garbage.....

how is he not?

Nobody moves him on the line......he does all the dirty work...... like occupie space..... takes him self along with two OL out of the play.....stats and camera angles following the ball doesnt really show what he does for our D-Line. The man may not be All Pro materiel but hes not garbage, I bet if he leaves and we go as is our D-line gets really crappy.

i doubt it hes not football smart. yeah hes strong but hes never around the ball making plays

.. Sopoaga is not asked to be a play-making DE. Wow. Come on now. He has a specific purpose and that is space-eating and containment and he does an excellent job of both. From time to time, you will see him put in a situation where he can make a play, and he has made some, but that's not his primary responsibility.

Guys like Brett Keisel (PIT), Kedrick Golston (WASH), Luis Castillo (SD), Sione Pouha (NYJ), and Marcus Spears (DAL) all play virtually the same role with their teams. Some of these guys aren't more well-known because of it, but make no mistake, they're highly valued by their teams.

Sopoaga has been doing a fine job for a long time and people need to understand that just because he's not in there racking up enormous sack numbers, that doesn't mean he's a terrible player all of a sudden. Our line would be MUCH worse without him.

Containment??? How about this? He is asked to contain because he can not make plays! A play maker commands the opponent's attention and thus no need to simply contain. A container holds while others have to make the play. He is not a container by choice; it's due to lack of ability.
Balke should have drafted a replacement NT late in the draft, instead of the fringe players that he did. Taking the example of Andy Reid in Philly, the offense and defensive lines are where the games are won. Extra linemen on both sides of the ball are always handy.
Originally posted by rwkellett3:
Balke should have drafted a replacement NT late in the draft, instead of the fringe players that he did. Taking the example of Andy Reid in Philly, the offense and defensive lines are where the games are won. Extra linemen on both sides of the ball are always handy.

Completely Agree.

I disagree with this. He has absolutely nothing to do with Justin Smith being a pro-bowler. Soap gets zero penetration and due to this, make it easier for the offense to block Manny or who ever else in playing next to him. He holds the line well and enables Willis to make plays, but as far as him being a play maker, he is the strongest weakest link on the DL.

The strongest weakest link.....what does that even mean,....he's the Merlin Olsen to the Deacon Jones.

how many times he benched 225 at the combine...hes strong...but a weak player...*sigh*

and this is coming from........probably a guy who doesnt even weigh 225......a weak player the man has been a consistent starter in the NFL, you gotta be a strong player to do that.....

225 would be way too big for me im 5'10 175 but back on topic... yeah dude is garbage.

Dude is not garbage.....

how is he not?

Nobody moves him on the line......he does all the dirty work...... like occupie space..... takes him self along with two OL out of the play.....stats and camera angles following the ball doesnt really show what he does for our D-Line. The man may not be All Pro materiel but hes not garbage, I bet if he leaves and we go as is our D-line gets really crappy.

i doubt it hes not football smart. yeah hes strong but hes never around the ball making plays

.. Sopoaga is not asked to be a play-making DE. Wow. Come on now. He has a specific purpose and that is space-eating and containment and he does an excellent job of both. From time to time, you will see him put in a situation where he can make a play, and he has made some, but that's not his primary responsibility.

Guys like Brett Keisel (PIT), Kedrick Golston (WASH), Luis Castillo (SD), Sione Pouha (NYJ), and Marcus Spears (DAL) all play virtually the same role with their teams. Some of these guys aren't more well-known because of it, but make no mistake, they're highly valued by their teams.

Sopoaga has been doing a fine job for a long time and people need to understand that just because he's not in there racking up enormous sack numbers, that doesn't mean he's a terrible player all of a sudden. Our line would be MUCH worse without him.

Containment??? How about this? He is asked to contain because he can not make plays! A play maker commands the opponent's attention and thus no need to simply contain. A container holds while others have to make the play. He is not a container by choice; it's due to lack of ability.

I don't believe that it has anything to do with a lack of ability at all. I think it's because we ask the d-line to funnel plays to our LB core, where we have outstanding talent.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame

Dude is not garbage.....

how is he not?

Every player has a role. And it's very rare that you field a team with 11 superstars. We have two or three superstars on our defense. J. Smith, P. Willis and A. Franklin (if he stays).

On any given play Soap's role can change. I think saying something like "he's asked to contain because he can't make plays" is a little off the mark. In general, given the fact that he is a 3-4 end Soap's primary responsibility is to maintain the line and stuff the run. It's not a flashy position and Soap isn't going to be a season after season Pro Bowler. But he carries his weight.

Weather he can do it at the NT position is a different question entirely.
Originally posted by Oscar:

Dude is not garbage.....

how is he not?

Every player has a role. And it's very rare that you field a team with 11 superstars. We have two or three superstars on our defense. J. Smith, P. Willis and A. Franklin (if he stays).

On any given play Soap's role can change. I think saying something like "he's asked to contain because he can't make plays" is a little off the mark. In general, given the fact that he is a 3-4 end Soap's primary responsibility is to maintain the line and stuff the run. It's not a flashy position and Soap isn't going to be a season after season Pro Bowler. But he carries his weight.

I think we should be fine stoping the run. And he will come out on passing downs, but who starts at end, Ray? RFJ? I think were thin on dline we have a great coach but we need to get him some talent outside smith!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Dude is not garbage.....

how is he not?

I think we should be fine stoping the run. And he will come out on passing downs, but who starts at end, Ray? RFJ? I think were thin on dline we have a great coach but we need to get him some talent outside smith!

We really need to keep Franklin if we can, he is a very good NT and that is a hard position to find quality players at.
  • ttime

Dude is not garbage.....

how is he not?

I could agree with this position 100% but for the likes of J.Smith and BY who are/were play makers. BY didn't and J.Smith doesn't rely on someone else as the OL has to try to contain them, as opposed to SOAP who has to contain the line so that someone else can make a play. Unfortunately, there is no evidence that SOAP is the type of disruptive player that demands that the OL contain him as you have already stated, he is self contained.
Share 49ersWebzone