LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Isaac Sopoaga moving to NT

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Im all for it.......that man is a line mover......he is sole reason why Justin Smith is a Pro Bowler.

Right, it has nothing to do with endless motor and better play in Justin Smith.

Only reason he has an endless motor is because he sees how much of a beast Soap is and he has to compete.....and the better play comes only because Soap is there to initiate and clean up Smith's few but minor mess ups.......how much pro bowls did Smith go to before he started putting his hand in the dirt next to The All Mighty Sopoaga?!!! THATS RIGHT!!!!!
I think Isaac Sopoaga will do much better this time around. My question is if Aubrayo Franklin doesn't sign then who will line up next to Justin Smith and Him? Ray McDonald needs to be resigned and stay healthy, Demetric Evans is serviceable, Will Tukuafu is a practice squad player, and Ricky Jean-Francois hasn't played much.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
As a Bias Hawaii fan, I think if Sopoaga is gonna be the starting NT, we should at least bring in someone to compete with him for the job. And I mean real competition, not some rookie UDFA or Ricky Jean-Francois (not sold on him either).
Aubrayo Franklin should get a monster deal when lockout ends - PFT

Quote:
Aubrayo Franklin should get monster deal when lockout ends

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 13, 2011, 9:28 AM EDT

Every year, a player not very well known to the general public gets a huge contract in free agency. Nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin, who has played for the Ravens and then San Francisco, has a good chance to be that guy this year.

When the lockout ends, he’s going to be the premier 3-4 nose tackle on the market. With Paul Soliai franchised in Miami and Pat Williams possibly facing suspension, Franklin is practically the only quality nose tackle available.

Matt Maiocco of ComcastBayArea.com writes that the 49ers will try to keep him, but it sounds like they know it’s a long shot. They chose against using the franchise tag on him and have already discussed moving Isaac Sopoaga to the nose if Franklin leaves.

Franklin has been a fine run stopper the last two years. The Redskins figure to be at the top of the list of teams that show interest in him. The Jets, Texans, Broncos, Vikings, and Seahawks also have a need, with the 3-4 teams making the most sense.
Originally posted by PTulini:

Quote:

Every year, a player not very well known to the general public gets a huge contract in free agency. Nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin, who has played for the Ravens and then San Francisco, has a good chance to be that guy this year.

When the lockout ends, he’s going to be the premier 3-4 nose tackle on the market. With Paul Soliai franchised in Miami and Pat Williams possibly facing suspension, Franklin is practically the only quality nose tackle available.

Matt Maiocco of ComcastBayArea.com writes that the 49ers will try to keep him, but it sounds like they know it’s a long shot. They chose against using the franchise tag on him and have already discussed moving Isaac Sopoaga to the nose if Franklin leaves.

Franklin has been a fine run stopper the last two years. The Redskins figure to be at the top of the list of teams that show interest in him. The Jets, Texans, Broncos, Vikings, and Seahawks also have a need, with the 3-4 teams making the most sense.

This shows you how incompetent the front office is they didnt address this issue last season & neither in the draft this year

moving Isaac back to NT will not solve the problem its like we are going to take a step backwards & pretty much "HOPE" that Sopoaga can finally do decent job in the trenches witch i doubt after his payday he has come at best a average player every other game even at his age Franklin is still a better player the Isaac

looks like Franklin is pretty much a goner
what made management think that we could of gotten a better player via free agency or through the draft last year when they franchised Franklin

this team is starting to crumble little by little & it all starts with the owners we have

thanks for screwing this franchise for the last 10 years Yorks!!!!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

"IF" their is even a season next year i can see our run stopping numbers drop drastically if we just stick with Sopoaga i see 100 yard rushers become more of a constant next year without Franlin in the line up

Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

Quote:

This shows you how incompetent the front office is they didnt address this issue last season & neither in the draft this year

moving Isaac back to NT will not solve the problem its like we are going to take a step backwards & pretty much "HOPE" that Sopoaga can finally do decent job in the trenches witch i doubt after his payday he has come at best a average player every other game even at his age Franklin is still a better player the Isaac

what made management think that we could of gotten a better player via free agency or through the draft last year when they franchised Franklin

this team is starting to crumble little by little & it all starts with the owners we have

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

"IF" their is even a season next year i can see our run stopping numbers drop drastically if we just stick with Sopoaga i see 100 yard rushers become more of a constant next year without Franlin in the line up

This incompetence crap is getting so dull. Balke and Harbaugh say one thing. You say the opposite.

I am going with the professionals.
Originally posted by English:

Quote:

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

This incompetence crap is getting so dull. Balke and Harbaugh say one thing. You say the opposite.

I am going with the professionals.

So the professionals have never been wrong before huh?

thats why we have been failing for the past 8 years because like i said it all starts with the owners & the people they hire
For what it is worth to this discussion, interest in Franklin is really starting to hot up here in DC. If the local sports media is to be believed, it sounds like the 'Skins are going to go after Franklin in a big way if/when free agency begins.
How often did we play one-gap with out DL? It seemed quite often. If Ice hasn't stepped forward as a NT by now, I don't think it will happen.
Originally posted by Joecool:
How often did we play one-gap with out DL? It seemed quite often. If Ice hasn't stepped forward as a NT by now, I don't think it will happen.

But he hasn't been asked to play NT in last few seasons.

Based on previous discussions it seems like Fangio wants more of a wide-bodied two gapper NT who can also collapse the pocket and disallow the QB to step up (and who's excellent in short yardage)...these are skills Fraklin does not posses. He's a one-gapper who must rely on veteran savy to choose the correct gap and penetrate and I don't think I've ever seen him win a short yardage battle esp. goal line stands were 99% of the time it seems teams have no problems running right up the middle between the tackles for an easy TD. No?

I think the Aldon pic solidified for me how much weight Fangio carries with this team and as a 3-4 guru, you KNOW he understands how critical it is to possess the right kind of NT to make the entire defense work (e.g. Wilkfork). I was very surprised, yet again, we passed on every NT in the draft (year after year after year) and we have an excellent DL coach in Tomsula who could have developed him quickly...so why not pick one even in the later rounds if he had the phsyical makeup and tools b/c RJF is just like Franklin?

I "think" the Niners knew Franklin wanted out and will command top money and someone is going to sell out like we did with Clements (and pay for it). I'm hoping they have a contingency plan in place...and the more "versatility" is stressed with Baalke on all of our picks, I'm starting to wonder myself if for 2011, Fangio runs many more 4-3 looks from the base 3-4 to stop the run and allow our playmakers to make plays down hill (Willis, Brooks, LaBoy, Aldon inside and out, Smith, perhaps more CB and safety blitzes) and NEXT year go NT #1 over all? This will be a new defense for the whole team and perhaps, they are anticipating a shortened season and viewing 2011 as an extended pre season to truly assess the personnel we have and how they fit into the system.

Just a theory...
Originally posted by NCommand:
Based on previous discussions it seems like Fangio wants more of a wide-bodied two gapper NT who can also collapse the pocket and disallow the QB to step up (and who's excellent in short yardage)...these are skills Fraklin does not posses. He's a one-gapper who must rely on veteran savy to choose the correct gap and penetrate and I don't think I've ever seen him win a short yardage battle esp. goal line stands were 99% of the time it seems teams have no problems running right up the middle between the tackles for an easy TD. No?

I think the Aldon pic solidified for me how much weight Fangio carries with this team and as a 3-4 guru, you KNOW he understands how critical it is to possess the right kind of NT to make the entire defense work (e.g. Wilkfork). I was very surprised, yet again, we passed on every NT in the draft (year after year after year) and we have an excellent DL coach in Tomsula who could have developed him quickly...so why not pick one even in the later rounds if he had the phsyical makeup and tools b/c RJF is just like Franklin?

I "think" the Niners knew Franklin wanted out and will command top money and someone is going to sell out like we did with Clements (and pay for it). I'm hoping they have a contingency plan in place...and the more "versatility" is stressed with Baalke on all of our picks, I'm starting to wonder myself if for 2011, Fangio runs many more 4-3 looks from the base 3-4 to stop the run and allow our playmakers to make plays down hill (Willis, Brooks, LaBoy, Aldon inside and out, Smith, perhaps more CB and safety blitzes) and NEXT year go NT #1 over all? This will be a new defense for the whole team and perhaps, they are anticipating a shortened season and viewing 2011 as an extended pre season to truly assess the personnel we have and how they fit into the system.

Just a theory...

Well, Vic Fangio has said that he plans to use both 3-4 and 4-3 looks in his scheme.

Quote:

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Yes, because the Yorks made the football decision to not try and re-sign Franklin.

Originally posted by Joecool:

But he hasn't been asked to play NT in last few seasons.

I know so doesn't that tell you more about where the DL coach felt ICE would be most effective and that they didn't feel as if he would be as good on the inside?
The release of Franklin is a financial necessity. Franklin will be 31 by the time the season starts (if it starts), and a contract that would be big enough to keep him would essentially drain all other moneys for FA. NT is not the only position of need, we also need a CB, a C, a RG, and potentially another OLB. If we put all the money into an aging NT, we lose some leverage with the other FA positions as well as paying for diminishing returns with Franklin.

I do recognize that there will be degraded performance at the NT position in the 3-4, but Fangio has said that it will be a hybrid 3-4/4-3 defense. In the hybrid defense, McDonald and Soapaga would play the DT position with the Mizzou Smiths playing DE. In a 3-4 allignment, Soapaga/McDonald slide to NT/DE (diminished play), with J.Smith at the other position.

In total, I don't think the loss of Franklin will spell doom for this defense. The run defense might drop slightly, but with the Mizzou Smiths and McDonald, the pass rush from the D-line will improve.

Prudent financial decision!
Share 49ersWebzone