There are 86 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Colin Kaepernick’s Throwing Style

It may be an issue like 5% of the time. If the pass blocking holds up it won't be an issue. IMO if the guy is having success throwing the way he does messing with his mechanics and risking messing up what made him successful in the first place just to account for that 5% is dumb.
Originally posted by genus49:
It may be an issue like 5% of the time. If the pass blocking holds up it won't be an issue. IMO if the guy is having success throwing the way he does messing with his mechanics and risking messing up what made him successful in the first place just to account for that 5% is dumb.

However, if he's sitting behind a starter and being developed, a little refining of his technique could never hurt; Esp if he's riding the pine.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by genus49:
It may be an issue like 5% of the time. If the pass blocking holds up it won't be an issue. IMO if the guy is having success throwing the way he does messing with his mechanics and risking messing up what made him successful in the first place just to account for that 5% is dumb.

However, if he's sitting behind a starter and being developed, a little refining of his technique could never hurt; Esp if he's riding the pine.

It might. It happens all the time in baseball and sometimes when guys tweak what's working for them it gets worse or they even push so much to do it the "right way" they end up hurting themselves.

Not saying this would be the case here but I just don't think it's worth tinkering with if it works most of the time.
  • tsty
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 63
The kids throwing motion is interesting ala Cunningham but what worked for Randall and Warren Moon(every one had doubts about him too)will work for Kaerpernick.

GO NINERS
Originally posted by tsty:
The kids throwing motion is interesting ala Cunningham but what worked for Randall and Warren Moon(every one had doubts about him too)will work for Kaerpernick.

GO NINERS

Warren Moon threw one of the most beautiful passes.

Originally posted by tsty:
The kids throwing motion is interesting ala Cunningham but what worked for Randall and Warren Moon(every one had doubts about him too)will work for Kaerpernick.

GO NINERS

The doubts about Moon were do to his skin color not his throwing motion. At that time teams just didn't believe a black QB could be a franchise all-pro. As a result he didn't get drafted. If Moon were white, he would have been a top 10 pick that year.
He has always looked like he was throwing a baseball. I thought he would fall a lot further in the draft because of it. I looked at it a lot closer after we drafted him. It does look fast in comparison to a lot other pro qb's. I would leave it alone. If its a problem when he starts playing then you f**k with it. thats my take on it
I'll just say this, every QB is different. You can't say... hes Randall Cunningham or Philip Rivers. He has a unique delivery but he doesn't throw the ball exactly like any of those guys.

The most important thing is that he delivers the ball efficiently and accurately. Often times when QBs have longer deliverys, its harder for them to repeat and it takes them them a split second longer to get the ball out, resulting in more hits on the QB. Byron Leftwich comes to mind as a recent QB who didn't last largely because of his longer delivery.

Kaepernick has something of a wind-up delivery. Theres some wasted motion there. Also in the games I've seen him in, he wasn't always consistent with the way he delivered it. Sometimes he would throw it with almost no stride and other times he'd kindof stride to the side. His release point would also vary at times. In college he could get away with this because he played against WAC talent and was easily the best athlete on the field. If he couldn't throw for a 1st down, he almost could always run for it.

His delivery is definitely one of my biggest concerns. Physically he is off the page. But if you can't throw the ball in this league, you're only going to take a team so far.
As Bill Walsh and Joe Montana said in the past, the most important fundamentals are footwork and squaring your hips so you are in the right position when you throw the football. Throwing motion was down in the pecking order what you need to accomplish to become a solid NFL QB! And Harbaugh did say he wasn't going to mess with his throwing motion according to Mike Shumann on Ch-t who interviewed Harbaugh about it. Works for me as long as he comes through for us at the pro level! The more reason for concern is the CBA Lockout and all the reps he's missing in MINI Aamps, and OTAS! And if it drags on into Training Camp he's really behind the 8 ball! The other position players will have it rough also but nothing like what the OBS will be up against! Pray for a quick settlement!
Colin Kaepernick, Nevada Wolfpack: Kaepernick is the most talented and complete quarterback in this draft. Everything he does equates to being a star quarterback in the NFL. Colin has an elite arm, exceptional speed, great pocket vision, height, and a top notch work ethic. There are no red flags here, except for the manufactured worry over his delivery. NFL teams that he has worked out for have all said that it’s not a concern and there’s no need to change his throwing motion. It’s becoming apparent that he probably won’t be picked in the top 10. This will further drive up his value to potential buyers.

2011 QBs to Buy
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Colin Kaepernick, Nevada Wolfpack: Kaepernick is the most talented and complete quarterback in this draft. Everything he does equates to being a star quarterback in the NFL. Colin has an elite arm, exceptional speed, great pocket vision, height, and a top notch work ethic. There are no red flags here, except for the manufactured worry over his delivery. NFL teams that he has worked out for have all said that it’s not a concern and there’s no need to change his throwing motion. It’s becoming apparent that he probably won’t be picked in the top 10. This will further drive up his value to potential buyers.

2011 QBs to Buy

In that case, invest in Pat Delvin as a FA!
What matters most is how quick the ball comes out the instant the QB makes the decision to throw and if that QB make that throw slightly off balance.
His motion is probably the reason he can sling it 60 yards on a line. I'll take the extra %2 chance it gets stripped from behind
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
His motion is probably the reason he can sling it 60 yards on a line. I'll take the extra %2 chance it gets stripped from behind

please show me where he does that
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
His motion is probably the reason he can sling it 60 yards on a line. I'll take the extra %2 chance it gets stripped from behind

please show me where he does that

Show you? Uhhh no? How about you trust people who've watched him play foozball?

"- Nevada’s Colin Kaepernick had the strongest arm in camp."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/423314-the-manning-passing-academy-the-grades-are-in

Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick met with 14 teams at the NFL scouting combine, and he displayed the best velocity of any quarterback during testing that measures how many miles per hour.

According to a league source with knowledge of the situation, Kaepernick threw the football 59 miles per hour. Kaepernick is a former Chicago Cubs draft selection and an all-state baseball player who threw 94 miles per hour.

That edged out Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett (58 miles per hour) and Auburn quarterback Cam Newton (56 miles per hour).

The Nevada standout is the lone quarterback in Division I history to pass for over 10,000 career yards and also rush for 4,000 yards.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/3/28/2076749/2011-nfl-draft-the-colts-to-workout-colin-kaepernick