LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

CB Chris Culliver, South Carolina

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
It looked as thought New York was going after Culliver this game. He looked he got burnt a couple of times. Hopefully he is learning things to help him develop. Any input as to how he did?

Totally. Looks like he's better vs bigger WR's. Manninghams can fly.
It looked as thought New York was going after Culliver this game. He looked he got burnt a couple of times. Hopefully he is learning things to help him develop. Any input as to how he did?

Sure, in rewatching him the past couple games, he seems to be hitting a rookie wall at the moment. It "may" be physical as I believe I heard a rumor he may be nursing an injury some but most of it seems "mental."

He's been pretty well abused the last two games playing much less aggressive (more soft than anything) and decisive and most importantly, not playing through the ball or finishing the plays (see TD and almost another in the end zone). He was lucky another was dropped as he left the WR get behind him to tie the game. He's also been playing off his man and more deep it appears and not making proper breaks, if any at all.

This leads me to believe he truly is nursing an injury or is being coached up to play more vanilla or perhaps, it's a concentration thing. He seemed to play with much more vigor and confidence prior to the last two games IMHO.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Sure, in rewatching him the past couple games, he seems to be hitting a rookie wall at the moment. It "may" be physical as I believe I heard a rumor he may be nursing an injury some but most of it seems "mental."

He's been pretty well abused the last two games playing much less aggressive (more soft than anything) and decisive and most importantly, not playing through the ball or finishing the plays (see TD and almost another in the end zone). He was lucky another was dropped as he left the WR get behind him to tie the game. He's also been playing off his man and more deep it appears and not making proper breaks, if any at all.

This leads me to believe he truly is nursing an injury or is being coached up to play more vanilla or perhaps, it's a concentration thing. He seemed to play with much more vigor and confidence prior to the last two games IMHO.

Agree. Hopefully he can shake it off and get healthy. He is going to be a good draft pick for our defense
Scouts, Inc. Top Five Emerging Cornerbacks:

4. Chris Culliver

If this year's rookie crop wasn't so strong, Culliver's name would have frequented my weekly Rookie Watch. Behind Peterson, Culliver is the second-best cornerback in this rookie class at this point. Culliver is a physical player with good size. In fact, some projected him to free safety coming out of college. Not yet a true starter for San Francisco's fantastic defense, Culliver still sees a lot of snaps, as the best way to attack the 49ers is to avoid the run and go after them through the air -- often with multiple receiver sets. But that tactic doesn't work all that well either given the Niners' excellent pass rush, and because they now have a very solid young cover man in Culliver.

(BTW, Joe Haden, who we all wanted to draft in 2010 before Cleveland wisely snapped him up at #7, is first.)
Originally posted by sspiker:
Scouts, Inc. Top Five Emerging Cornerbacks:

4. Chris Culliver

If this year's rookie crop wasn't so strong, Culliver's name would have frequented my weekly Rookie Watch. Behind Peterson, Culliver is the second-best cornerback in this rookie class at this point. Culliver is a physical player with good size. In fact, some projected him to free safety coming out of college. Not yet a true starter for San Francisco's fantastic defense, Culliver still sees a lot of snaps, as the best way to attack the 49ers is to avoid the run and go after them through the air -- often with multiple receiver sets. But that tactic doesn't work all that well either given the Niners' excellent pass rush, and because they now have a very solid young cover man in Culliver.

(BTW, Joe Haden, who we all wanted to draft in 2010 before Cleveland wisely snapped him up at #7, is first.)

Culliver getting madddd love from Merrill Hodge on NFL Matchup.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Culliver getting madddd love from Merrill Hodge on NFL Matchup.

Yea I saw that too! Everybody on the Niners is getting love these days
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Here is a statistic about all Rookie CB that played so far this Season with the QB Rating against them:

It wasn't too long ago that people were blasting this pick since he played mostly safety. However, there was no questioning that he had some speed that also tranlated well on the field unlike another safety we picked that is no longer here.

However let us not get to ahead of ourselves as he is coming in only on passing situations and is not taking always on the best wr of the teams .Also, some like Peterson are playing for a bad team. As far as Brown goes, perhaps he wasn't doing well because the coaches were not using him properly and/or is finally getting good coaching?

Do you have a link for the above chart? Please share it--thanks.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
This guy is definitely impressive from a measureable standpoint:

- 6'0", 200lb
- 4.40 forty (tied for 3rd at the combine among all DBs)
- 38.5 vertical (2nd at the combine among all DBs)
- 10'3" broad jump
- 4.08 short shuttle
- 6.88 3-cone

Now, we are finding out that Culliver can also play some football.

Is it to early to say that Baalke knows football?

Today's game against Arizona will be interesting-- I hope that Culliver has a better game than Peterson.

Don't get me wrong. I do like Peterson, so I do not want him to stink up the field, but I want Culliver to outplay him.
Here is a statistic about all Rookie CB that played so far this Season with the QB Rating against them:

Richard Sherman getting roasted <sherman

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
This guy is definitely impressive from a measureable standpoint:

- 6'0", 200lb
- 4.40 forty (tied for 3rd at the combine among all DBs)
- 38.5 vertical (2nd at the combine among all DBs)
- 10'3" broad jump
- 4.08 short shuttle
- 6.88 3-cone

Now, we are finding out that Culliver can also play some football.

Is it to early to say that Baalke knows football?

Today's game against Arizona will be interesting-- I hope that Culliver has a better game than Peterson.

Don't get me wrong. I do like Peterson, so I do not want him to stink up the field, but I want Culliver to outplay him.

Agree. Hope he has a good game
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Isn't a 158.3 a perfect passer rating?
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Isn't a 158.3 a perfect passer rating?

Great article on the front page from 49ers.com on Culliver. I think he is going to be a very good player for us and seems like he is asking questions, studying, improving and learning very well from the coaches and veterans on the team. Love to read and hear these things.
He may be good one day but he's no Phillip Adams
Share 49ersWebzone