LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Round 2, #36, the San Francisco 49ers selects Colin Kaepernick (QB) Nevada

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wonder if we clinch this week, and win 2 or 3 more...if they will let him start the last game of the season? That would be cool to see.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
I wonder if we clinch this week, and win 2 or 3 more...if they will let him start the last game of the season? That would be cool to see.

We are still trying to get that 2 seed, no way he starts unless Alex gets hurt
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
Preface - I really admire Smiths courage, heart, determination, great attitude, class, and his talent to some extent as well.

But watching tonights Saints - Giants game the speed that Drew Brees plays at in every way - mental, physical, footwork, release, progression, shuffle, step up, fake etc etc etc is so much faster than any QB we've had on the roster in so long it makes me sick. This is supposed to be the 49ers. Harbaugh couldn't get EVERYTHING done this first abbreviated year, but I have a feeling this is going to be addressed next year.

I'm sure Kap is a great kid but I'm not seeing it there either, sorry.

Aikman, Cunningham, Brady, and even Montana played with a more cerebral, fluid motion in the pocket.

Brees is like a Jitterbug that bounces around in the pocket. He does it very effectively, but you can be a great quarterback without that style of play.

Isn't Brees like 6'0"? I think that's why he appears to look like a jitterbug and IS able to move like one. Kaep is much taller which makes his movements appear different but they are nearly just as quick/fast.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 29, 2011 at 3:29 PM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:

We are still trying to get that 2 seed, no way he starts unless Alex gets hurt

Maybe if Alex can get us another blowout, then Kaep can get some live action.

RAMS WEEK!

Colon kaepertick
Kappy will only see significant playing time under 2 circumstances.

1) Alex gets hurt
2) We clinch a first round bye before week 17.

/end Kaepernick discussion until one of those two things happens because you can't judge a rookie who doesn't see the field
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Watching him in pregame warmups the other night at B-more was cool. Dude has a serious cannon, he can launch it like nothing else. Give him some time to refine his game and he could become a very valuable asset for us in the future.
Originally posted by aman49:

1) Alex gets hurt

/end Kaepernick discussion until one of those two things happens because you can't judge a rookie who doesn't see the field

Originally posted by Janitor:
Watching him in pregame warmups the other night at B-more was cool. Dude has a serious cannon, he can launch it like nothing else. Give him some time to refine his game and he could become a very valuable asset for us in the future.

I just came
Originally posted by aman49:

1) Alex gets hurt

Well, for the very reason that we have no experienced QB behind Alex, they should get him some playing time in situational plays, game out of reach, etc. before we face the situation of Alex being hurt.

So, Jim and Roman have had some encouraging things to say about Kaep lately, so a reporter from Mercury News asked Colin some questions...

How are you progressing?
"Real good."

How so?
"It's just getting more comfortable with everything that we're doing."

How is it compared to when you played Tampa?
"At that point in the season, I was comfortable. I would say I'm just more comfortable now."

Do you forsee more playing time to get under your belt before the playoffs?
"That will depend on what happens with this team, how we're doing and what coach wants."

How has it been to go through a season and not play?
"It's different. It's a lot different."

But you're in a stage where you're learning?
"I guess, somewhat. I mean at this point every week you learn because you have a different scheme. It changes week to week."

What is it like on the sideline and do you have a play-call receiver in your ear?
"Yep. I try to treat being on the sideline as if I'm in the game."

Are there throws that are more difficult to make?
"Yeah, there are always going to be throws that you feel are a little tougher, depending on what they are."

What are the toughest right now?
"Off the top of my head, I can't pick one throw out that is really bothering me. For the most part, just stay in rhythm with your progressions. The biggest thing is just being accurate with it, and none of the throws should be too tough."

When you watch film, did you start the season looking at how Alex played and now you're more alert to what the defense is doing?
"Yeah, at the beginning, I would look to see how Alex is doing different things. Whereas now, I'm getting more comfortable with what I'm doing out there, so I'm more worried about the defenses."

Were you about to go into theArizonagame if (the 49ers) scored one more touchdown?
"Yeah."
Originally posted by Afrikan:
So, Jim and Roman have had some encouraging things to say about Kaep lately, so a reporter from Mercury News asked Colin some questions...

How are you progressing?
"Real good."

How so?
"It's just getting more comfortable with everything that we're doing."

How is it compared to when you played Tampa?
"At that point in the season, I was comfortable. I would say I'm just more comfortable now."

Do you forsee more playing time to get under your belt before the playoffs?
"That will depend on what happens with this team, how we're doing and what coach wants."

How has it been to go through a season and not play?
"It's different. It's a lot different."

But you're in a stage where you're learning?
"I guess, somewhat. I mean at this point every week you learn because you have a different scheme. It changes week to week."

What is it like on the sideline and do you have a play-call receiver in your ear?
"Yep. I try to treat being on the sideline as if I'm in the game."

Are there throws that are more difficult to make?
"Yeah, there are always going to be throws that you feel are a little tougher, depending on what they are."

What are the toughest right now?
"Off the top of my head, I can't pick one throw out that is really bothering me. For the most part, just stay in rhythm with your progressions. The biggest thing is just being accurate with it, and none of the throws should be too tough."

When you watch film, did you start the season looking at how Alex played and now you're more alert to what the defense is doing?
"Yeah, at the beginning, I would look to see how Alex is doing different things. Whereas now, I'm getting more comfortable with what I'm doing out there, so I'm more worried about the defenses."

Were you about to go into theArizonagame if (the 49ers) scored one more touchdown?
"Yeah."

I fell in love with this kid during the Senior Bowl and has ecstatic to know Jim was eyeballing him as well. Once the trade was announced I knew the pic before it was announced...very happy we have him. And in a couple of weeks we will of given him something we never gave Alex, time.
  • EdEs
  • Veteran
I am an Alex Smith supporter and a supporter of giving Colin Kaepernick time to develop. I don't want to see Colin start this season unless the next game goes like yesterday's game. That being said, if Colin was in the game I am unsure if he would have thrown the ball more effectively than Alex but I believe the running game would have been more effective because of Colin's running ability. Defenses would have to respect his ability and not be as aggressive when the 49ers show run.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Get ready young Kap you gonna get your shot next year. Boy wonder is fizzling out........as expected.
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by Janitor:

I just came

Yeah beating a blitz is easier when u have a rocket arm.
Share 49ersWebzone