There are 247 users in the forums

Harbaugh channels Walsh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Did you watch the game? He got hit 1/2 second after he snapped the ball on every play. It's pretty hard to judge the QB in that situation. This was on lack of preparation and lack of an O Line.

Yeah, and when he did have time, he threw low to Davis and behind Edwards.

Lets blame that on the OL too.
Quote:
Harbaugh was unprepared for the onslaught, stood there on the sideline grim-faced and stiff-jawed while his offensive line aided and abetted the Saints defense in committing near-murder on Niner quarterbacks. Rarely has a team been so poorly prepared for opening night anywhere. Looking at the Niners? performance, you might have thought this was a Mike Singletary team.

Harbaugh came across as what he is, a college coach hoping to make the big leap to the NFL, a man in his learning phase, a coach as a beginner.

Harbaugh apologists and 49er apologists, like the guy who did color on the TV broadcast, tell us the 49ers had only 12 practices or something like that, so requiring competence of them is unfair and gee whiz just plain un-American.

he had that same look when he was destroying Wake Forest last year. Anyone who thought he was going to instantly transform this team is f**king deluded. Thank you Lowell Captain Obvious Cohn. Any hack beat writer, columnist, or fan who knows anything figured that one out months ago.

Quite simply Cohn just needs to get his mind out of the gutter. But hey, this is the crap people want to read I guess. I'll give him credit for one thing though.....the attacking manner in which he writes his articles feeds the hungry. He was kissing Harbaugh's ass the whole offseason. He acts like he's surprised this happened.

I especially like the crack about how Harbaugh was supposed to be the second coming of Bill Walsh, as if Walsh's first couple seasons were championships or something. Cohn was probably getting coffee and donuts for real columnists back in NY when that was going on.

Yes the Saints had 12 practices too. It's pretty hard to dial up blitzes every down. Lest Cohn forget that our defense handled the Saints first team offense pretty well. But there's not much to attack there so I could see why Cohn left that part out.

I'm not defending how our offense performed, but if you're going to chastise the HC, be fair about it. Acknowledge both sides of the ball, 12 practices notwithstanding.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Aug 13, 2011 at 11:41 PM ]
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
What a QB controversy. A never was versus a raw rookie. It's pretty sad when you've kept this guy around this long and he still is hopeless. His best position is on the sidelines with a clipboard. He doesn't have "it".

agree, we all know the OL was horrible, but Alex had a couple of chances to hit WR's and passes were either low or behind. I think Kap has a real good chance to start
We're talking bout preseason! Wtf
The Saints and every other team in the league had 12 practices. Sure, the Saints have continuity with their coaching staff and the Niners don’t. You know what? That’s just too bad.

He flippantly dismissed an elemental cause of the current state of the team. It's hard to take the rest of the column seriously. Did Cohn think Harbaugh believed he could get by on sheer force of will? The dude played the game for over a decade. He knows how hard it is.

< ------ Lowell Cohn
I don't think things are as bad as it looks from the game.

I mean if it was a regular season game than we would've game planned, did film study, and had a week to better prepare for the blitz and pressure. It's obvious Harbaugh didn't really care what happened in that game from the get go and was completely focused on installing the offense for these 12 practices and judging from what happened we haven't gone over the blitz pickup part much.

That's not to completely excuse the offense as their were opportunities and some of the pressure came from just getting flat out beat but this would be far more concerning if this was the 3rd preason game and not the 1st one.
Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
What a QB controversy. A never was versus a raw rookie. It's pretty sad when you've kept this guy around this long and he still is hopeless. His best position is on the sidelines with a clipboard. He doesn't have "it".

Did you watch the game? He got hit 1/2 second after he snapped the ball on every play. It's pretty hard to judge the QB in that situation. This was on lack of preparation and lack of an O Line.

Eric davis saod the same thing im wit ya wit this san diego! That line had major rust! Or just left their a game at home
That was the worst line play I've seen in a long time and we have had a terrible line for a while. But that was just a whole new level. Wow. I didn't know they could be that bad.
This was my response...

The great Bill Walsh was a combined 8-24 during his first 2 years with the 49ers. It wasn't until the end of his second year and into his third that things really began to click. As much as you want to be Debbie Downer, the real fans know that we have to give Harbaugh time to build this team his way. As the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day."
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
didn't read, lowell!
So much criticism for a very first preseason game for a team with a brand new coaching staff & new system. Yeah, they made a lot of mistakes out there. But don't blame it all on QB play. Don't blame it all on the O line. It's a team effort. There were times where blockers missed their assignments. There were times where Alex missed his target. It's still a very young team with a lot to work with. I'm not saying Harbaugh is "the one," but at least give him a chance to prove himself. This game was a wake up call & I'm sure Harbaugh will catch all those mistakes on film & work with the team. Who ever said this team was gonna turn it around in just a couple weeks? Things like these take time. Maybe a few weeks, maybe even next season. But have faith in your team to turn it around.

Originally posted by BayStreamin510:
So much criticism for a very first preseason game for a team with a brand new coaching staff & new system. Yeah, they made a lot of mistakes out there. But don't blame it all on QB play. Don't blame it all on the O line. It's a team effort. There were times where blockers missed their assignments. There were times where Alex missed his target. It's still a very young team with a lot to work with. I'm not saying Harbaugh is "the one," but at least give him a chance to prove himself. This game was a wake up call & I'm sure Harbaugh will catch all those mistakes on film & work with the team. Who ever said this team was gonna turn it around in just a couple weeks? Things like these take time. Maybe a few weeks, maybe even next season. But have faith in your team to turn it around.

Originally posted by PTulini:
This was my response...

The great Bill Walsh was a combined 8-24 during his first 2 years with the 49ers. It wasn't until the end of his second year and into his third that things really began to click. As much as you want to be Debbie Downer, the real fans know that we have to give Harbaugh time to build this team his way. As the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day."

yet there is still people who believe 10-6 or 11-5 will happen this year hopefully now they'll realize the shortage of time is hurting them a lot.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Yeah, and when he did have time, he threw low to Davis and behind Edwards.

Lets blame that on the OL too.

He had a whole 4 legit plays were he had an opportunity to actually throw. FOUR. And on those four, he nailed two of them. So because of two missed balls, in preseason, you're already going the HE'S HOPELESS route? Really bro, come on now. Use your noggin. Wait until he has an actual legit chance to prove himself in the preseason.
  • Veteran
Lets just be honest, we don't have many good players and its going to take a year or two before we are relevant again. This is the same OL as the last year. Nothing of a surprise there. Harbaugh is a rookie coach and I am sure he learned from this. Lets wait and see how this whole thing turns out. I just wish Jed and Baalke would shut their mouth for a while and stop talking about how they have plans and its all going to work itself out. This week's grade "F" in my book.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
he had that same look when he was destroying Wake Forest last year. Anyone who thought he was going to instantly transform this team is f**king deluded. Thank you Lowell Captain Obvious Cohn. Any hack beat writer, columnist, or fan who knows anything figured that one out months ago.

Quite simply Cohn just needs to get his mind out of the gutter. But hey, this is the crap people want to read I guess. I'll give him credit for one thing though.....the attacking manner in which he writes his articles feeds the hungry. He was kissing Harbaugh's ass the whole offseason. He acts like he's surprised this happened.

I especially like the crack about how Harbaugh was supposed to be the second coming of Bill Walsh, as if Walsh's first couple seasons were championships or something. Cohn was probably getting coffee and donuts for real columnists back in NY when that was going on.

Yes the Saints had 12 practices too. It's pretty hard to dial up blitzes every down. Lest Cohn forget that our defense handled the Saints first team offense pretty well. But there's not much to attack there so I could see why Cohn left that part out.

I'm not defending how our offense performed, but if you're going to chastise the HC, be fair about it. Acknowledge both sides of the ball, 12 practices notwithstanding.

This ~ nicely said
Share 49ersWebzone