There are 158 users in the forums

Harbaugh channels Walsh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Otter
  • Veteran
that gave me chills.
Seems to me that there has been a lot of revisionist history being broadcast about Walsh's doings re: a quarterback during the year he came back as a GM. If I recall correctly that numbnuts OC who was with Mooch wanted his pet ape drafted and we got a qb who played like a gorilla on a unicycle. I think that whole situation finally lead to Walsh leaving. As for Brady, there was little evidence that he was exceptional and few were clamoring for his abilities. Even though they say there are not many qbs this year, I think we may be surprised. I think there may be quite a few good ones especially if they get picked by a good coach. IMO there are some Brady types although I think there may be a few duds too mainly tied to their personas. I think the lack of judgment re: character is the one glaring weakness since Walsh left. Harry Edwards and McCay gave Walsh insight into his picks. Since Dorkus dismantled all that, we have had the same s**t drivel down the ranks as at the top.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by HailJerry:
What gets me is how "small" the OL linemen were in the 70's. John Ayers at 238 lbs playing OG? Wow...!

Actually, though when they were drafted they were small when they started for Walsh they tended to be in the 265 lb range. Still small by NFL standards at the time. the OL at the time was generally 285 lbs with the bigges being the hogs at 300+ (well least most of them).

Walsh and his fellow coaches (Bobb) liked small, quick linemen who were able to punch fast and first, to put it in Walshian vernacular. They knew that stationary big men were less effective because it generally kept the line of scrimage static. Quick linemen allow for better sweeps, moving pockets, and down field blocking. Blocking at the second and third level is a lost art for many teams. How often do you see an OLman flatten a safety or CB these days? If the bigs do pull and lead they are just objects to go around, not dangerous blockers. No one wanted to get in front of Guy McIntire!

Also, Walsh knew that smaller linemen were not regarded highly, so he had his pick every year.
JR has been right about a certain college player once already. You know, that cat in Philly from Cal that should have been picked up by a certain team that has 5 SB rings..

just sayin'...

Originally posted by kidash:
JR has been right about a certain college player once already. You know, that cat in Philly from Cal that should have been picked up by a certain team that has 5 SB rings..

just sayin'...

i know! dallas and the steelers totally missed on this guy at the time!
Brick hands can be cured, or at least improved on dramatically. Ask Vernon Davis.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
JERRY RICE FOR GM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Brick hands can be cured, or at least improved on dramatically. Ask Vernon Davis.

Maybe - if you have time to develop someone. The point of the quote isn't about whether or not a player can be "cured", it's about an insistence on perfection - or striving to be perfect, always hungry, in pursuit. It's about an attitude to accept nothing less but your absolute best effort all the time - no poor route running, no whiffs on blocks, no constantly requesting absences for "personal reasons". Commitment to excellence is more than just curing brick hands, it's about personal responsibility to make sure you don't let your team down. I think that's what's lacking and hopefully Harbaugh brings that back.

Great points.

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

Maybe - if you have time to develop someone. The point of the quote isn't about whether or not a player can be "cured", it's about an insistence on perfection - or striving to be perfect, always hungry, in pursuit. It's about an attitude to accept nothing less but your absolute best effort all the time - no poor route running, no whiffs on blocks, no constantly requesting absences for "personal reasons". Commitment to excellence is more than just curing brick hands, it's about personal responsibility to make sure you don't let your team down. I think that's what's lacking and hopefully Harbaugh brings that back.

I agree with what you are saying. My point was along the topic of discussion within the article. A guy like Vernon (or Julio) wouldn't have had a chance to even be drafted by Walsh. I agree with striving to be perfect in everything you do, but some guys just need a little help and guidance to get there. They need a chance. Julio might be one of them.
Originally posted by susweel:

i can picture it now

Quote:
Twenty-two wide receivers have been cut from the San Francisco 49ers, finalizing the 53 man roster.

• Veteran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-MfNd-SjZo
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
So do I
So do I
Thanks for understanding my pain
otb
Share 49ersWebzone