LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 343 users in the forums

Schefter: Nate Clements a 'Potential' Cut This Week

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Clements is still a good player that can be of value to the team. He is best best run defender in the secondary and does well against big, physical WRs like Larry Fitzgerald. He struggles against smaller, very quick receivers. Last season he seemed to be pressing to make plays instead of just doing his job. I believe part of that was just his frustration with a team that was under-achieving and not winning.

He isn't worth the money he would earn next season but he is far from a bum.
I'd much rather see Nate play at a reduced salary...agree, his coverage sucked at times, but he is a terrific tackler in the secondary. Definitely draft a top CB, maybe get into FA for one (not necessarily Asomugha). Although it hasn't been said (that I know of) the coaching staff may feel Adams has a future, too. He didn't get a lot of PT outside of ST's, but with some good coaching (Ed Donatell's one of the best), he may become somewhat of a factor in the overall mix. Haven't given up on Tarrel Brown, either...he had a rough start last season, but came on in the 2nd half to play pretty well.
He played well before we had him returning punts against Indy but we all knew when the contract was signed he would never see 80mil

At the time it was what our defense needed tho. A play maker with a ton of confidence that rubbed off on our D. Him and M.Lewis changed our defensive attitude for the better... I used to hate watching our defense have no energy or show emotion after big plays and Nate played a big part in changing that

Hope he comes back for less money bc he is a decent-good corner who plays the run and screens extremely well
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
AdamSchefter
Quote:
More potential cuts this week: Az QB Derek Anderson, LB Joey Porter, 49ers CB Nate Clements, Pitt OT Flozell Adams, Minn WR Bernard Berrain.
42 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/42587166890663936

If it happens... it's really no big surprise, but the urgency leads one to wonder if we're either (planning on) putting the bank down for Nnamdi Asomugha, or confident in Patrick Peterson/Prince falling to us (somewhere) within the first round.

Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Not sure why everyone is so excited? We've let all of our fa's test the market and now we are going to cut Nate. Hooray for the yorks! They've saved a ton of money. Of course now we can only field a half of team. How many daft picks do you guys think we have? We have no center, no qb, one ok corner, no NT, no starting caliber OlB. But hey, if we ever do decide to compete at least we'll have money. GTFO.

There's only a few irreplaceable players on this team. Why would we keep all the guys that were part of a 6-10 team? Clements is slow, plays dumb and jumps routes. He's completely replaceable as he was average at best. Let him walk along with Franklin, Alex Smith, and Manny Lawson.

I agree only thing these guys have been apart of is consistently under achieving.
Seems like he isn't taking a pay cut so it's time to release him.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JaxinSac:
Not sure why everyone is so excited? We've let all of our fa's test the market and now we are going to cut Nate. Hooray for the yorks! They've saved a ton of money. Of course now we can only field a half of team. How many daft picks do you guys think we have? We have no center, no qb, one ok corner, no NT, no starting caliber OlB. But hey, if we ever do decide to compete at least we'll have money. GTFO.

Do you seriously believe that the Yorks are telling Harbaugh and co to cut players to save money? I hope you're just ranting. my lord

You mean, do I seriously believe that a relatively financialy poor team owner is counting pennies and isn't willing to keep players that aren't considered a deal? Yes, that is a possiblity.

Look, you need to understand this. There are two perspectives here. That of the owners (money) and that of the fans (entertainment). I perfectly understand why an owner wouldn't want to shell out money to players they dont deam worthy. At the same time, as a fan when you start to see a quarter of your teams starters walk, you get a little concerned. My rant is about the Niners, per say. It was more of a commentary on all the people cheering as if we cut Nate and signed Asugahma.

Bottom Line: In this case subtraction is not addition. We have complete scrubs backing up the guys you dont think are very good. What does that tell you? Before I start cheering, I need to see some addition.

Once again this was the smart route to go, these are average players, let them test the market, if someone wants to overpay for average more power to them. IF not we keep them at their appropriate cost for depth. I think you just like ripping the Yorks, warranted or not. In this case, not.
See ya later Nate "burned" Dogg

the things ill remember the most about you........

GETTING OVER PAID

GETTING STRIPED BY RODDY WHITE LAST YEAR WHEN WE HAD SEALED THE GAME

THANKS FOR THE UNPLEASANT MEMORIES NATE

WE WONT MISS YOU!!!!

I was stoked when we got clements. he had swagger, which you need to play the game, but he never backed it up.with a website like "lockdown22" you have to locksomebody down.... he was good on the run and had some good strips of the football, but he was usually burned by speedy receivers. Adios nate
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by JaxinSac:

Do you seriously believe that the Yorks are telling Harbaugh and co to cut players to save money? I hope you're just ranting. my lord

You mean, do I seriously believe that a relatively financialy poor team owner is counting pennies and isn't willing to keep players that aren't considered a deal? Yes, that is a possiblity.

Look, you need to understand this. There are two perspectives here. That of the owners (money) and that of the fans (entertainment). I perfectly understand why an owner wouldn't want to shell out money to players they dont deam worthy. At the same time, as a fan when you start to see a quarter of your teams starters walk, you get a little concerned. My rant is about the Niners, per say. It was more of a commentary on all the people cheering as if we cut Nate and signed Asugahma.

Bottom Line: In this case subtraction is not addition. We have complete scrubs backing up the guys you dont think are very good. What does that tell you? Before I start cheering, I need to see some addition.

Once again this was the smart route to go, these are average players, let them test the market, if someone wants to overpay for average more power to them. IF not we keep them at their appropriate cost for depth. I think you just like ripping the Yorks, warranted or not. In this case, not.[/quote]

I've already said my peace. What these "average " players are asking for is complete speculation (except for Nate). Moreover, you can always use the average argument as most teams rosters are filled with average (by definition). You aren't going to have a Patrick Willis at every position.

Question: does it make sense to you that year after year we have been well under the salary cap, but have not produced a winning season? Do you really believe that there have been no FAs that could of helped us over the last couple of years?
Originally posted by dj43:
Clements is still a good player that can be of value to the team. He is best best run defender in the secondary and does well against big, physical WRs like Larry Fitzgerald. He struggles against smaller, very quick receivers. Last season he seemed to be pressing to make plays instead of just doing his job. I believe part of that was just his frustration with a team that was under-achieving and not winning.

He isn't worth the money he would earn next season but he is far from a bum.

But you must factor in the money which makes him a bum for that amount.

Cutting Nate gives us a very good idea of what we want at #7.

Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by alburns:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
There is no free-agency right now so even there's no "testing the market" until there is a market created by the CBA.

For all those who don't like Nate, this defense is toast if we lose Nate and don't get a top end pass-rusher; even with a rookie CB. Rook CBs rarely come into the league and shutdown NFL receivers from day one. I don't think the 49ers let him go unless they have an alternative. I imagine however the priorities are QB, Pass-rush and center. You need those to play and our starters are "FA"s.

Not trying to pick a fight, but whether the CBA was tomorrow or next year, we have essentially decided to let them "test the market" as beyond March 3/4(?) they will have the ability to solicite other teams before they resign with us. Is that not true?

If we cut Nate today or tomorrow, he is conceivably free to sign with anyone as long as deal is done before end of league year, though not sure whether he could sign after march 3rd until new CBA.

I dont think so......

i am 100% sure this is the case. if he is released, he is free to sign with anyone until tomorrow. This differs from others who are due to be FAs (Like Alex Smith) since they aren't due to be FAs until the new league year.

For example, Shaun rogers was released by cleveland and was just signed by the Saints.

I am pretty sure, that after tomorrow, everyone will have to wait until new CBA
WOOOOOOOWWWWW

Niner fans are so disrespectful.

What was the very first play that this guy saw come his way?

Oh that's right,

a Hasselbeck pick
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
WOOOOOOOWWWWW

Niner fans are so disrespectful.

What was the very first play that this guy saw come his way?

Oh that's right,

a Hasselbeck pick

What?
Yea when he made that INT of Hasselbeck on the first pass this season I thought we were about to have a special year...
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Yea when he made that INT of Hasselbeck on the first pass this season I thought we were about to have a special year...

it was special, just not the kind of special we were hoping for

Share 49ersWebzone