LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Schefter: Nate Clements a 'Potential' Cut This Week

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Idk about this, it's not like we have much behind him.
Originally posted by niners94:

we dont have much with him either
frees up 22
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by niners94:

we dont have much with him either

We have a lot more with him.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Not sure why everyone is so excited? We've let all of our fa's test the market and now we are going to cut Nate. Hooray for the yorks! They've saved a ton of money. Of course now we can only field a half of team. How many daft picks do you guys think we have? We have no center, no qb, one ok corner, no NT, no starting caliber OlB. But hey, if we ever do decide to compete at least we'll have money. GTFO.

Do you seriously believe that the Yorks are telling Harbaugh and co to cut players to save money? I hope you're just ranting. my lord
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I hope this story is false, we need Nate.
Originally posted by Chief:

me too, plus hes usually good for a pick a game off of hasselbeck since he got here

Finally someone in NT who uses their brain.
Originally posted by crabman82:

me too, plus hes usually good for a pick a game off of hasselbeck since he got here

there is absolutely no way we keep with his salary. If he wants to test the market, he'll be gone. I am guessing the niners will drop him last minute.

would you rather pay nate $15 mm next year or Nnamdi?
[ Edited by alburns on Mar 1, 2011 at 7:02 PM ]
If it's a guarantee Namdi will come here then yah let him go..... But it's not so I would hope we resign our best CB

• 9moon
  • Veteran
I hope he accepts a pay cut.. he may not be a shut down corner, but he's a player.. he's a good leader and he can play the FS position for us.. Heck, if the old coaching staff kept Roman for 3 years at the FS position, why not put Clements there?
Originally posted by JaxinSac:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Not sure why everyone is so excited? We've let all of our fa's test the market and now we are going to cut Nate. Hooray for the yorks! They've saved a ton of money. Of course now we can only field a half of team. How many daft picks do you guys think we have? We have no center, no qb, one ok corner, no NT, no starting caliber OlB. But hey, if we ever do decide to compete at least we'll have money. GTFO.

Do you seriously believe that the Yorks are telling Harbaugh and co to cut players to save money? I hope you're just ranting. my lord

You mean, do I seriously believe that a relatively financialy poor team owner is counting pennies and isn't willing to keep players that aren't considered a deal? Yes, that is a possiblity.

Look, you need to understand this. There are two perspectives here. That of the owners (money) and that of the fans (entertainment). I perfectly understand why an owner wouldn't want to shell out money to players they dont deam worthy. At the same time, as a fan when you start to see a quarter of your teams starters walk, you get a little concerned. My rant is about the Niners, per say. It was more of a commentary on all the people cheering as if we cut Nate and signed Asugahma.

Bottom Line: In this case subtraction is not addition. We have complete scrubs backing up the guys you dont think are very good. What does that tell you? Before I start cheering, I need to see some addition.
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
I would like to see him re structure his contract, he is our best CB. If not I see us saving a lot of money so we can make a big FA splash maybe even make a run for Namdi.

Many would argue Spencer is our best CB.

Many would be wrong.

Many are right. I want a CB that can cover and doesn't constantly get juked.

So you don't want Spencer?

bulls**t. Its a weekly occurrence for Clements. Spencer wasn't getting beat 1-2 times a game for huge gains like Clements. Spencer has been our #1 CB for 2 years end of story. As a matter of fact, Clement was benched for a couple of games for sucking so bad. Short memory some of you have.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerGM:
There is no free-agency right now so even there's no "testing the market" until there is a market created by the CBA.

For all those who don't like Nate, this defense is toast if we lose Nate and don't get a top end pass-rusher; even with a rookie CB. Rook CBs rarely come into the league and shutdown NFL receivers from day one. I don't think the 49ers let him go unless they have an alternative. I imagine however the priorities are QB, Pass-rush and center. You need those to play and our starters are "FA"s.

This.

Originally posted by NinerGM:
There is no free-agency right now so even there's no "testing the market" until there is a market created by the CBA.

For all those who don't like Nate, this defense is toast if we lose Nate and don't get a top end pass-rusher; even with a rookie CB. Rook CBs rarely come into the league and shutdown NFL receivers from day one. I don't think the 49ers let him go unless they have an alternative. I imagine however the priorities are QB, Pass-rush and center. You need those to play and our starters are "FA"s.

Not trying to pick a fight, but whether the CBA was tomorrow or next year, we have essentially decided to let them "test the market" as beyond March 3/4(?) they will have the ability to solicite other teams before they resign with us. Is that not true?
Share 49ersWebzone