LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Schefter: Nate Clements a 'Potential' Cut This Week

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
There is no free-agency right now so even there's no "testing the market" until there is a market created by the CBA.

For all those who don't like Nate, this defense is toast if we lose Nate and don't get a top end pass-rusher; even with a rookie CB. Rook CBs rarely come into the league and shutdown NFL receivers from day one. I don't think the 49ers let him go unless they have an alternative. I imagine however the priorities are QB, Pass-rush and center. You need those to play and our starters are "FA"s.

This.

We are many players away from anything, we need to tear it down some and rebuild it. mtc
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
There is no free-agency right now so even there's no "testing the market" until there is a market created by the CBA.

For all those who don't like Nate, this defense is toast if we lose Nate and don't get a top end pass-rusher; even with a rookie CB. Rook CBs rarely come into the league and shutdown NFL receivers from day one. I don't think the 49ers let him go unless they have an alternative. I imagine however the priorities are QB, Pass-rush and center. You need those to play and our starters are "FA"s.

Not trying to pick a fight, but whether the CBA was tomorrow or next year, we have essentially decided to let them "test the market" as beyond March 3/4(?) they will have the ability to solicite other teams before they resign with us. Is that not true?

If we cut Nate today or tomorrow, he is conceivably free to sign with anyone as long as deal is done before end of league year, though not sure whether he could sign after march 3rd until new CBA.
[ Edited by alburns on Mar 1, 2011 at 8:45 PM ]
Originally posted by alburns:

Not trying to pick a fight, but whether the CBA was tomorrow or next year, we have essentially decided to let them "test the market" as beyond March 3/4(?) they will have the ability to solicite other teams before they resign with us. Is that not true?

If we cut Nate today or tomorrow, he is conceivably free to sign with anyone as long as deal is done before end of league year, though not sure whether he could sign after march 3rd until new CBA.

I dont think so......
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by niners94:
Idk about this, it's not like we have much behind him.

we dont have much with him either

We have a lot more with him.
Time for an all out blitz to get Nnamdi, whatever the cost.

Adios Senior bite on the double move
I feel like Von Miller is gonna be gone for us but if a miracle happens and we get him, I totally see us going after Nnamdi to fill our hole in the secondary.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Whatever scenario frees up the $$$ to get Nnamdi, get er done
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:
I feel like Von Miller is gonna be gone for us but if a miracle happens and we get him, I totally see us going after Nnamdi to fill our hole in the secondary.

don't know how i feel about nnamdi filling our hole
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
AdamSchefter
Quote:
More potential cuts this week: Az QB Derek Anderson, LB Joey Porter, 49ers CB Nate Clements, Pitt OT Flozell Adams, Minn WR Bernard Berrain.
42 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/42587166890663936

If it happens... it's really no big surprise, but the urgency leads one to wonder if we're either (planning on) putting the bank down for Nnamdi Asomugha, or confident in Patrick Peterson/Prince falling to us (somewhere) within the first round.

I honestly hope he stays - Could see him performing much better in Fangio's man-under scheme... Nate has always been more of a physical, press-cover type of corner. Unfortunately, we rarely allowed him to lineup as such and he struggled as a result.
Nate is overpaid and over rated. Mr "Shut Down" is anything but. He is great in run support and a good tackler but I have seen enough 10 yard cushions on 3rd and short to last a lifetime. Plus he is set to make far more than he is worth this season.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:

don't know how i feel about nnamdi filling our hole

i don't want anybody filling my hole.
Originally posted by abowers1984:
AdamSchefter
Quote:
More potential cuts this week: Az QB Derek Anderson, LB Joey Porter, 49ers CB Nate Clements, Pitt OT Flozell Adams, Minn WR Bernard Berrain.
42 minutes ago

If it happens... it's really no big surprise, but the urgency leads one to wonder if we're either (planning on) putting the bank down for Nnamdi Asomugha, or confident in Patrick Peterson/Prince falling to us (somewhere) within the first round.

I honestly hope he stays - Could see him performing much better in Fangio's man-under scheme... Nate has always been more of a physical, press-cover type of corner. Unfortunately, we rarely allowed him to lineup as such and he struggled as a result.

Probem is he lost a step or two, so he lines up 7-10 yards deep to give himself a bit of a chance, problem is he' s terrible when playing off.
Also he bites on double moves, and gives up crucial long gains, he has not caught anyone form behind in the last two yers.

He had some nice games some 3-4 years ageo, forcing fumbles, yet since then he declined rapidly.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by abowers1984:
AdamSchefter
Quote:
42 minutes ago

Probem is he lost a step or two, so he lines up 7-10 yards deep to give himself a bit of a chance, problem is he' s terrible when playing off.
Also he bites on double moves, and gives up crucial long gains, he has not caught anyone form behind in the last two yers.

He had some nice games some 3-4 years ageo, forcing fumbles, yet since then he declined rapidly.

Nice post. That's exactly my point. This guy has several flaws and they've caught up to him more and more over the past 2 years. He's nothing more than a subpar corner at this point and it would be best for us to cut our losses. Try FA or the draft. It's not like we're going to be in contention next year anyway.
AdamSchefter
Quote:
42 minutes ago

yeah, but that is a big "IF"....
Not sure why everyone is so excited? We've let all of our fa's test the market and now we are going to cut Nate. Hooray for the yorks! They've saved a ton of money. Of course now we can only field a half of team. How many daft picks do you guys think we have? We have no center, no qb, one ok corner, no NT, no starting caliber OlB. But hey, if we ever do decide to compete at least we'll have money. GTFO.

TY
Share 49ersWebzone