LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

Alex Smith the starter next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • pd24
  • Veteran
From everything I have read about what Smith and Harbaugh have been doing this offseason and all the nice things Harbaugh is saying about Smith, i think Smith will be the starter next year. I think Harbaugh sees something in Smith and thinks he can be good.

Quote:
Talking to a group of reporters last month, Harbaugh said every 49er, including Smith, would have a clean slate. He later added more fuel during a KHTK radio interview, saying Smith "can be a winning quarterback" in the NFL and that he looked forward to working with him.

This month, there have been revelations that Smith is a regular visitor to the team's headquarters, though he is under no obligation to do so, and has even tossed the ball around with Harbaugh – just a couple of QBs shooting the breeze.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/02/14/3400217/49ers-smith-harbaugh-building.html#ixzz1E8kLa4rQ

Quote:
The 49ers held a fan forum Tuesday night in which fans could ask questions of coach Jim Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke over the phone. Roughly 4,000 calls were placed, according to the event's host, Joe Fonzi. About 25 callers got through during the hour-long session, including a nine year old who asked whether Alex Smith was still in the quarterback mix. "Yes, Alex Smith is definitely in it," Harbaugh replied.

-- Henry from San Jose - an Alex Smith supporter - asked Harbaugh what he's looking for in a quarterback.

Quote:
Harbaugh: "First of all, a competitive guy. A winner. Somebody that has great athletic instincts, somebody that is very athletic throwing the ball. A quick-minded guy that can think fast on his feet and make decisions quickly, has leadership ability, understands timing and makes really good decisions. ... I noticed on the board here that you typed in that you really liked Alex Smith, and I agree with you. I like him very much, too."

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/02/harbaugh-promis.html#ixzz1E8koYfTc

Quote:
But the new coach of the 49ers might try to convince Alex Smith to stick around. Jim Harbaugh, on the job for one month, has studied Smith as a player and has gotten to know him as a person.

In fact, Harbaugh and Smith have met several times face-to-face. And they have even gone out together to the practice field behind the team's Santa Clara complex.

"Yeah," Harbaugh told Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, "we were out on the field -- just two guys throwing the ball around."

Asked whether he used his on-field interaction with Smith as a chance to work on mechanics and fundamentals or whether it was just a way to break the ice, Harbaugh answered, "Both."

"I've had a couple meetings with him," Harbaugh said. "It's been good. And I look forward to continuing that (this week) when he's back in town."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/02/08/11/Harbaugh-takes-a-close-look-at-Alex-Smit/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=406339&feedID=5936

I know alot of fans are against Alex Smith being back next year, but I loved the Harbaugh hire and if he does decide to keep Smith, Im not going to question it.
I give this thread 15 pages before a few vehement posters force the mods to lock it up for inappropriate comments.

[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 16, 2011 at 08:37:41 ]
slit my wrists....right now.
Originally posted by tondiman:
slit my wrists....right now.

no1 is stoping u
  • dj43
It is quite obvious from looking at the situation with the CBA, the cost in a high draft choice for an unproved QB, and the fact that Harbaugh has seen something in Smith that he likes, that Alex has the inside track as the starter.

Now a lot could change if the CBA gets signed before the draft but that is looking more and more unlikely everyday. Even if it gets signed, the cost of a trade for Kolb or even Johnson is not very attractive.

Smith is clearly the best short-term option...perhaps long-term as well if Harbaugh is as good a coach as we all hope.
oh man i can imagine the story if harbaugh transform alex into a pro bowl qb, steve young struggled mightily until he learned from bill walsh. just saying
with all the bulls**t going on with the CBA negotiations, Alex Smith would be the best man for the job. Smart move on Harbaughs part.
another lost season if Smith starts
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Or maybe Harbaugh watch the film and realizes that the previous coaching staff sucked so bad that EVERY player deserved a fresh start and needs to be reavaluated...

I would like to see what a real coach can do for Alex. Heaven knows that Nolan and Singletary were clueless in the developing QB department. Norv Turner speaks well of Alex Smith and that was as close to a good offensive mind that we have had with the 49ers since Alex's rookie season (yeah some will say how about Mike Martz - I say not many people think too much about him since his days with the Greatest Show on Turf with his stable of HOF players). Lets see what an offensive minded coach and QB guru can do with Alex. Give him a chance and lets support our team - not our fantasies about being a NFL caliber armchair coach.
Originally posted by success710:
I would like to see what a real coach can do for Alex. Heaven knows that Nolan and Singletary were clueless in the developing QB department. Norv Turner speaks well of Alex Smith and that was as close to a good offensive mind that we have had with the 49ers since Alex's rookie season (yeah some will say how about Mike Martz - I say not many people think too much about him since his days with the Greatest Show on Turf with his stable of HOF players). Lets see what an offensive minded coach and QB guru can do with Alex. Give him a chance and lets support our team - not our fantasies about being a NFL caliber armchair coach.

alex was acually injurued and missed the whole 2007 season which was when martz was there and he acually like smith based on gametape just said something about bending knees and something about his throwing motion if i remember correctly
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I give this thread 15 pages before a few vehement posters force the mods to lock it up for inappropriate comments.

15...wow I think much less haha.

But I'm all for bringing Alex back.
If Alex does come back Harbaugh needs to somehow or some way bring in real competiton as well. He can not just hand him the job.
Troy smith would be a better pick between the smiths. Just look what he did last year when he came in. Did he struggle? I thing anyone would, but he was able to pick up a few wins with us. Alex smith will put up ok numbers but how many games will he win us. His best season we went 5 - 5. I expect better than that from a qb that is "the best qb in the division" as some have indicated.
Share 49ersWebzone