LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Alex Smith the starter next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
For those of you who want Alex back. You better hope Harbaugh doesn't fail with his geek to sheek transformation of him. Things could get really ugly. If Harbaugh ends up being a Nick Saban...I don't know what will happen to this franchise.

With all that said, if Harbs can fix all of Alex's issues...then I'll be pleased. I don't see it happening but if Harbaugh thinks he can "fix" Alex then I'd love to see it.

Harbs is either an egotistical douche or a genius.

i dont think he seems this as fame of turning a horrible failure of a qb into a good one

isnt it possible i ean with all the first hand experiance and gametape he has he acually sees something in alex?

Of course there's something there, he's a #1 pick. Alex hasn't been able to put it all together consistently...I'm sure Harbaugh would agree with that. If Harbaugh thinks he can fix him then let him try. We'll see how that works out. Lock Alex up for 3 years and we'll see where we're at 3 years from now. Either the Alexcusers will go into hiding or they will be screaming "told you so" from the mountain tops.

I hope for everyone's sake that Harbaugh isn't the type of guy who thinks he can fix anyone.

Would we all be happy if Harbaugh said he could turn Ginn into a #1 receiver and not upgrade the position? What if he said the men he brought in can fix Nate and Terrell Brown and not upgrade the corner position?

Just saying, hope he's right.

Just because he was a #1 pick means nothing. Remember a guy name jamarcus russle? Draft position means absolutely nothing 6 years after the fact. Hell look no further than david care. Say what you will about previous coaching, there is some validity to it, but he has failed over and over. A slant is a slant, a go route is a go route, and if after all this time he still can't make nfl type passes, then its time to look for other options.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
It would be pretty gay if that happened.

expect gayness

Well it is SF, so yes expect gayness.
Originally posted by JustMike:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
For those of you who want Alex back. You better hope Harbaugh doesn't fail with his geek to sheek transformation of him. Things could get really ugly. If Harbaugh ends up being a Nick Saban...I don't know what will happen to this franchise.

With all that said, if Harbs can fix all of Alex's issues...then I'll be pleased. I don't see it happening but if Harbaugh thinks he can "fix" Alex then I'd love to see it.

Harbs is either an egotistical douche or a genius.

i dont think he seems this as fame of turning a horrible failure of a qb into a good one

isnt it possible i ean with all the first hand experiance and gametape he has he acually sees something in alex?

Of course there's something there, he's a #1 pick. Alex hasn't been able to put it all together consistently...I'm sure Harbaugh would agree with that. If Harbaugh thinks he can fix him then let him try. We'll see how that works out. Lock Alex up for 3 years and we'll see where we're at 3 years from now. Either the Alexcusers will go into hiding or they will be screaming "told you so" from the mountain tops.

I hope for everyone's sake that Harbaugh isn't the type of guy who thinks he can fix anyone.

Would we all be happy if Harbaugh said he could turn Ginn into a #1 receiver and not upgrade the position? What if he said the men he brought in can fix Nate and Terrell Brown and not upgrade the corner position?

Just saying, hope he's right.

Just because he was a #1 pick means nothing. Remember a guy name jamarcus russle? Draft position means absolutely nothing 6 years after the fact. Hell look no further than david care. Say what you will about previous coaching, there is some validity to it, but he has failed over and over. A slant is a slant, a go route is a go route, and if after all this time he still can't make nfl type passes, then its time to look for other options.

I was referring to Harbaugh seeing "something" in Alex's game that he liked. If you're a top pick, odds are you will see "something" in a QB's game that looks good. Say what you want about Jamarcus, but he made some eye opening throws down field. He looked far better in his 2nd year. My point is, you don't get picked 1st overall if you don't have some kind of talent. I personally don't think that's enough to warrant bringing Alex back but Harbaugh does.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
It would be pretty gay if that happened.

expect gayness

Well it is SF, so yes expect gayness.

Looking at it objectively and NOT considering that he's a 6-year failed #1 overall pick, Alex has been a decent, though not great, QB the last two years.

Statistically speaking, I'd say his year was on-par with Carson Palmer, while he outperformed McNabb, Sanchez, Hasselbeck, and Favre.

Unless Kyle Orton or Kevin Kolb are attainable, he's the best we've got going forward. Yes, we need to draft a QB of the future, but the QB of the present should be Alex Smith, Kyle Orton, or Kevin Kolb.

Of course, when I say statistically speaking that he's on-part with Palmer... it doesn't say anything about his ability to win games. I think that if you want to bash him for something, it'd be for our losing record. Of course, that also goes hand-in-hand with poor coaching from Nolan and Singletary.

It's an interesting situation.
Harbaugh is a qb wiz and we as fans abviously dont know as much as him so i support harbaugh till the end.. plus Alex Smith QB rating last two years was an average 82. by the time harbaugh is threw with him a pro bowl QB I forsee..
I'd rather have a lock out next year then having this piece of s#it play for us next season

i really hope we trade for a QB to go along with drafting a young stud QB this year
im tired of giving this clown chances gallore
If Jim Harbaugh would have come out and said "Alex has his problems, but with some work, I think he can be a successful NFL QB" I would have absolutely ZERO problem with us potentially retaining him. But when Harbaugh describes Alex as "a winner, someone with great instincts, quick and good decision maker, understands timing, accurate and durable," it really makes me wonder. Like I said above, if Harbaugh acknowledged Alex's faults, but proclaimed he could make him a real NFL QB, I would be cool with it. But to listen to him describe Alex in ways that are CLEARLY inaccurate, it really worries me. Lets break down Jims description....

-A winner. Absolutely not. This should be abundantly clear.
-Great instincs. No. When have you ever seen Alex throw a WR open or throw the ball before a WR breaks his route in anticipation of him becoming open? Never.
-Quick and good decision maker. If by checking down before the play develops constitutes quick decision making, sure I will give that to him. Good decision making is absolutely wrong.
-Understands timing. HAHAHA. Right. Alex rarely hits receivers in stride. Hardly EVER.
-Accurate. I feel like Jim said this as a joke. How anyone can watch 6 years of footage and claim this guy is accurate is absolutely comical.
-Durable. Once again, I dont see how anyone with a brain can possibly believe this.

I am strongly against bringing Alex back. But if Harbaugh claimed he could turn a weed into a rose, I would be down to give him a chance. But to claim the weed IS a rose really makes me wonder.
JH is going to draft a young QB, either Ponder, Kaepernick,Dalton, Locker whoever and they will sit behind a short term veteran be it Alex Smith, Palmer or Hasselbeck-- Alex Smith is the best short term solution because of the CBA which will most likely drag on into August/Sept. and the fact that Smith knows the offensive playmakers regardless of the offense. No doubt JD has looked at how Smith has preformed in the red zone the past two years and likes what he sees. Can he get Smith to preform like that over the other 80 yards?? Big question but if he can he'll be a hero and if not oh well--it was the CBA that caused him to keep Smith around in the first place. Harbaugh can't lose on this one.
Just because JH is saying certain things, does not mean Alex is the answer. JH is smart in not burning bridges and keeping options open simply because of the uncertainty that the CBA brings.

Alex Smith is to Harbaugh what Steve Deberg was to Walsh. A stop gap 2 year person till Harbaugh gets his man ready, unless they can grab someone off FA or trade.

I will say it again Baalke doesn't see the long term solution on the squad and I really doubt Harbaugh does either. He would look stupid though if he has no other option and needs to use Alex but bad mouths Alex. Alex will not be a successful QB-meaning takes team to the playoffs consistently and leads them to the NFC championship game. If they make it, it will be inspite of him-like Trent Dilfer.

Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
I'd rather have a lock out next year then having this piece of s#it play for us next season

i really hope we trade for a QB to go along with drafting a young stud QB this year
im tired of giving this clown chances gallore

You'd rather have a lock out? What kind of sh1t is that? I can't even begin to try to understand you. Shame this site doesn't have an "ignore" button. Anyone who would rather lose an entire year's games has let personal hatred get in the way of judgement. Therapy seems to be indicated.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Im getting sick and tired of Harbaugh kissing Alex's ass everyday in the media. I dont understand what the hell they are doing here. Everybody and their momma knows that Alex needs to GTFO of SF and even he knows it. Harbaugh needs to shut the f**k up and try to look at other options.

I really wanted the niners to get Harbaugh but now Im already starting to wonder if was the right choice. Please dont screw up like the previous two coaches by depending on Alex to be your Huckleberry because he simply cant do it.

Stop this madness or you will suffer the same fate as your predecessors.
[ Edited by susweel on Feb 16, 2011 at 12:18 PM ]
I'm skipping 2011 lockout or no lockout... Why bother watching 2011 with the Bust at the helm... It just going to be the same 0-5 start!
Originally posted by fakers23:
I'm skipping 2011 lockout or no lockout... Why bother watching 2011 with the Bust at the helm... It just going to be the same 0-5 start!

And some people claim that Smith supporters root for Smith above the 49ers when we have people openly proclaiming the above.

It truly does go both ways.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Feb 16, 2011 at 4:05 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Im getting sick and tired of Harbaugh kissing Alex's ass everyday in the media. I dont understand what the hell they are doing here. Everybody and their momma knows that Alex needs to GTFO of SF and even he knows it. Harbaugh needs to shut the f**k up and try to look at other options.

I really wanted the niners to get Harbaugh but now Im already starting to wonder if was the right choice. Please dont screw up like the previous two coaches by depending on Alex to be your Huckleberry because he simply cant do it.

Stop this madness or you will suffer the same fate as your predecessors.

IF Harbaugh convinces Alex to stay that doesnt mean that Alex is the automatic starter, im sure we will try to bring in another vet as well as draft a QB to compete for the job
Share 49ersWebzone