There are 262 users in the forums

Mike Johnson heading to UCLA

Shop Find 49ers gear online
wait i thought Norm the puppy Chow was the Bruins OC
  • zero
  • Veteran
Very good move for him,...now bring me Shaw!
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Interesting. I thought he at least might have stayed on as QBs coach. I wish him the best.

That offense will be interesting to see.

-9fA

Kool... it's been nice..
Originally posted by boast:

from the reports that he butted heads with Sing and was not happy how he did things.

I think you need to look at what happened immediately following the "rat" talk to get your answer.

If Baalke was throwing Sing under the bus and he had Jed's ear, Sing may have gotten fired.

If Johnson was throwing Raye under the bus and he had Baalke, Sing, or Jed's ear, Raye would have gotten fired.

The second scenario is what happened. Likewise, as you recall, the prevailing wisdom was that Johnson was the "rat." Johnson as the rat fits the same profile that we saw later in the season with the Troy/Alex kerfuffle and an anonymous source going to the media and stating his preferences.

I could be way off base, but I just think Johnson is wildly ambitious, and is probably better off having his own offense at UCLA. In turn, we're better off not having a talented guy who's ambition we can't match.

Cui bono from Sing's firing.......other than us fans?

I don't think that's fair. If we didn't make the playoffs or go .500 Sing was getting fired no matter what anybody said. IMO if we 1) weren't in such a weak division and b) had someone with head coaching experience beyond NFL Europe Sing would have probably been fired after week 5. Regardless, I think blaming Baalke for Sing getting fired is extremely asinine (the counter factual being if Baalke spent every waking minute defending Sing would Sing have kept his job? I think it's more likely that Baalke would have been fired as well).
Being from SoCal and a Bruin season ticket holder...

I say good hire. No more of that damn pistol offense. Mike Johnson will bring much needed life to a dull UCLA offense.
Maybe he will hire Alex Smith as his QB coach because Alex is the greatest QB in the spread that ever existed and was unfairly measured in the NFL because there is no spread.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
wait i thought Norm the puppy Chow was the Bruins OC

He was. And at times, it seemed as if he stopped trying. I heard he was taking a job with the Tennessee Titans or something like that. I might be wrong. Don't really care as long as Norm is out.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Joecool:
Maybe he will hire Alex Smith as his QB coach because Alex is the greatest QB in the spread that ever existed and was unfairly measured in the NFL because there is no spread.

but he would be a non-functional coach
Originally posted by susweel:
Good for Raye Jr.

I think it's a littleb unfair to judge him based on more than just the final game. The offense we ran prior was not his but singletary's.

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Interesting. I thought he at least might have stayed on as QBs coach. I wish him the best.

That offense will be interesting to see.

-9fA

Why do people say things like this?

This isn't Office Space, dude. Anyone with sense isn't going to take a demotion with the same company/franchise.

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Joecool:

but he would be a non-functional coach
That's a good move for Mike. He's an LA guy so he'll feel right at home.
good for him. i i wish him luck. i hope we get someone better
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

from the reports that he butted heads with Sing and was not happy how he did things.

I think you need to look at what happened immediately following the "rat" talk to get your answer.

If Baalke was throwing Sing under the bus and he had Jed's ear, Sing may have gotten fired.

If Johnson was throwing Raye under the bus and he had Baalke, Sing, or Jed's ear, Raye would have gotten fired.

The second scenario is what happened. Likewise, as you recall, the prevailing wisdom was that Johnson was the "rat." Johnson as the rat fits the same profile that we saw later in the season with the Troy/Alex kerfuffle and an anonymous source going to the media and stating his preferences.

I could be way off base, but I just think Johnson is wildly ambitious, and is probably better off having his own offense at UCLA. In turn, we're better off not having a talented guy who's ambition we can't match.

Cui bono from Sing's firing.......other than us fans?

I don't think that's fair. If we didn't make the playoffs or go .500 Sing was getting fired no matter what anybody said. IMO if we 1) weren't in such a weak division and b) had someone with head coaching experience beyond NFL Europe Sing would have probably been fired after week 5. Regardless, I think blaming Baalke for Sing getting fired is extremely asinine (the counter factual being if Baalke spent every waking minute defending Sing would Sing have kept his job? I think it's more likely that Baalke would have been fired as well).

good breakdown and more believable. nice job.
Share 49ersWebzone