LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 308 users in the forums

Mike Johnson heading to UCLA

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Double win. I am a UCLA fan and their offense has been horrible under Chow. Also as a 49er fan I don't want too many Nolan or Dingletary disciples around.
  • dj43
Originally posted by BobS:
Double win. I am a UCLA fan and their offense has been horrible under Chow. Also as a 49er fan I don't want too many Nolan or Dingletary disciples around.

I think it was pretty clear that Johnson was not a disciple of either of those two. He got a chance for an opportunity to work in the NFL and used it as a platform to get the UCLA gig. If he does well there he will be back in the NFL as OC in 5 years or less.
Originally posted by Niners99:
im hoping now that our franchise looks to be heading in the right direction, more coaches will be willing to come here.

not like Scott Linehan, who had offers to be our OC, or the NFL worst Rams OC, and he picked the Rams...

Actually he used to be the Rams HC and was fired.

He wanted no part of Sing and his stone aged offensive philosophy and went to the Lions to be their OC. We ended up with Raye.

Not surprised about Johnson leaving though. He had no real OC experience installing and running a WCO. He was QB coach or assistant where a WCO was being run by someone else.

Johnson wants to run a spread offense anyway.
wow, good move for him.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Mike Johnson, the former offensive coordinator with the San Francisco 49ers, has agreed to be UCLA's new offensive coordinator, with an announcement planned.

http://ucla.scout.com/

Solid move on his part. Now he can experiment with his "NFL ready" version of the spread and see if he can raise some eyebrows from the NFL.

Indeed, he'll finally have the freedom to test his 'spread-option' theory without some neanderthal holding either him, or his QBs back from stretching the field.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Congrats
where did norm chow go?
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
where did norm chow go?

Despite reports across the Internet, a deal to bring Norm Chow, currently UCLA's offensive coordinator, back to USC as offensive coordinator for new Coach Lane Kiffin is not done yet. A source close to Chow says while the two sides are talking, no deal has been reached.

Chow said recently that it “would take NFL-type money” to get him back to USC.

He was due to make $690,000 at UCLA next season, including a $250,000 bonus if he was still offensive coordinator on April 1.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/01/norm-chow-coming-to-usc-isnt-a-done-deal-yet.html
Originally posted by valrod33:
Good For him

I hope he does well.
Run up the gut!

See ya MJ.

Thanks for being 0-6 in developing QBs and slightly improving our offense after Raye was canned.
Originally posted by susweel:
Good for Raye Jr.

good for him. i was hoping he would get a chance to stick around here, because I think he really has potential. But I'm trusting that if Harbaugh let him walk, then he probably has other people in mind to fill whatever role MJ would have filled. I wish him luck at UCLA.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Great news for him!

I hate to say it, but it's probably great news for us too.

I think Johnson is really talented, but his talent is matched by his ambition, and I'm not sure he wouldn't go back to his old tricks were he to be demoted (and where to? Harbaugh will be working with the QBs).*

*This is all predicated on my assumption that he was in fact the "rat", and based on several things that leaked out that implied he might not have entirely been a team player.

Yed York and/or Paraag were/are the "rat". I would bet on it.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Should be in other sports.
Share 49ersWebzone