LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Westbrook more valuable than Gore in a Harbaugh offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
No, but I really hope we keep Westbrook
Some of you guys really need to do your homework.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Anthony Dixon will be his main back.

Very Intresting post .....

no doubt he is aiming for a 6 + foot back

I never watched a stanford game .....

But did he ricky waters type things with his backs?
  • B650
  • Veteran
I wouldn't be surprised if the Niners drafted a shifty, speedy RB in the later rounds.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
But Harbaugh's offense in Stanford liked to run 60% of the time. They had A LOT of good backs, so we BETTER keep Westbrook!

That's an excellent point.

Westbrook should have plenty of options...............I hope he signs with us.........
he looks to have plenty of skills left......we know the desire is there................
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Gore's receiving skills = Great
Wesbtrook's receving skills = Amazing

They're both great, but Gore is a better overall back.

But Harbaugh's offense in Stanford liked to run 60% of the time. They had A LOT of good backs, so we BETTER keep Westbrook!

And I think we will. Baalke told BW it would be up to how the next coach wanted to use his RBs. I'm sure one of the 1st things Harbaugh will do when he talks to his RBs is tell them he's going to A-run the ball alot and B-use 2 or 3 backs to do it.

I'm sure he'll also be creative with it and play both of them at the same time and use Westbrooke as a WR more.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by VA49er:
NO. Gore is in my mind every bit the pass protector and route runner that Westbrook is. He's also a better runner overall and Harbaugh does like to load the line of scrimage and get between the tackles. Gore is more important. Harbaugh also uses his fullback plenty.

Now if you asked me I'd like to see Gore play some FB with Westbrook as the tail. I think if gore would be the Roger Craig style FB you could see something special in the backfield like our 84 team.

Gold Coast Twins Part Deux? I like it . I think the coming of Harbaugh looks very good to Westbrook and he may be more likely to sign with us knowing that he will be used and will have a coach that knows how to use his talents. Hope we lock him up for 2-3 years, extend Gore, and get Dixon involved more. A 60-30-10 split as it relates to carries for Gore, Westbrook, and Dixon respectively.

Thanks. I would love being in the I and they don't know where the handoff is going or if it's play action then you have two real threats to cover. It'll slow down the pash rush just because you have to worry about the swings and dumps so much.
Harbaugh uses rbs like Frank Gore really well
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Yes. Westbrook is the prototypical WCO back. Gore is not.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Some of you guys really need to do your homework.

Umm... I think if anything we will use a rotation of all 3 guys. Gore will see the field less and if he wants to b***h that's fine. Sit your ass down you need a break every now and then, you fumble inside the opps 20 cause your tired anyways!!!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Umm... I think if anything we will use a rotation of all 3 guys. Gore will see the field less and if he wants to b***h that's fine. Sit your ass down you need a break every now and then, you fumble inside the opps 20 cause your tired anyways!!!

As harsh as that sounds, I partially agree with this post. Gore DOES fumble at inopportune times sometimes, but it's not as if he's this major choke artist.

But, yes, the idea of a rotation is perfect if we can keep Westbrook. I don't think Gore will complain though if we're running 60% of the time. But I doubt in this league though that Harbaugh can effectively run SIXTY FRIKKIN PERCENT. 50-50 would be nice. That'd be about 25-30 rushes a game.
In some sene yes. We won't run a stone age offene anymore. We will pass more. And Harbaugh is not the typical idiot HC we have had (last 3). It won't take him 11 weeks into the season to figure out how to use Westbrook... And Frank is coming off a broken hip. We don't even know if he will ever be the same.
  • mod
  • Veteran
I dont think Westbrook will be back... When I heard his interview he didnt seem very excited at the idea.

Gore can catch just as good as any Running back out there... people think of him as a power back but the dude has great hands. I think Dixon as a FB in the WCO is an interesting idea... but just because he's big doesnt mean he can block sufficiently, and I dont feel like he can catch anything like Rathman did. Niners need a guy like Leonard Weaver or Earnest Graham. I cant remember the dudes name but I anticipate Harbaugh drafting his FB from Stanford.
  • mod
  • Veteran

[ Edited by modninerfan on Jan 9, 2011 at 01:39:55 ]
Share 49ersWebzone