LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Westbrook more valuable than Gore in a Harbaugh offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Envy
  • Veteran
If we lose Westbrook then we definitely need a technique back in the stable. Dare I say a Garrison Hearst type.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
The day of a single RB getting all the carries is over. Teams need 2 or 3 viable RBs.. Look at the Saints, they were down to their 5th RB yesterday.

I would love to see both Gore and Westbrook in the backfield next year, splitting touches.

They are not over if you have a guy who can run, catch, and block. There is still room for the Gore's, MJD's, Peterson's, CJ's, and Jackson's of the world.

You can be successful in many ways.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
But Harbaugh's offense in Stanford liked to run 60% of the time. They had A LOT of good backs, so we BETTER keep Westbrook!

That's an excellent point.

that 60% stat scares me. reminds me of Sing's philosophy. Walsh used to pass to set up the run, is Harbaugh the same?
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
The day of a single RB getting all the carries is over. Teams need 2 or 3 viable RBs.. Look at the Saints, they were down to their 5th RB yesterday.

I would love to see both Gore and Westbrook in the backfield next year, splitting touches.

They are not over if you have a guy who can run, catch, and block. There is still room for the Gore's, MJD's, Peterson's, CJ's, and Jackson's of the world.

You can be successful in many ways.

You completely missed the point of DW's post.

I like the current RBs on the squad. And Dixon could be good, can't really say.

But I am envious of the teams with one(or both) of two unique types (i) the bowling balls with speed; Rice at Baltimore, Turner at Atlanta, Jones-Drew at Jacksonville, and (ii) the pure speed game breakers; CJ at Tennessee, Charles at KC. We need one of each. Does anyone feel Dixon could be our bowling ball?

In any case, we do have to have a RB committe, as DW says.
I think we must resign him, 2 year deal
This is ridiculous. Westbrook is one hard hit away from being out of the league indefinitely. Gore is not exactly the best at staying healthy, but he does recover.
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
no
lol, wtf
Harbaugh: "Frank Gore - having studied our team, our personnel and other backs across the league - I really think Frank Gore is one of the best running backs in the National Football League, the most complete back."

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/02/harbaugh-promis.html#ixzz1E9JV9HJq
http://www.csnbayarea.com/02/16/11/Maiocco-Harbaugh-likes-Dixon-as-Gores-ba/landing.html?full_args=02/16/11/Maiocco-Harbaugh-likes-Dixon-as-Gores-ba/landing&blockID=411627&feedID=5936

while I agree Westbrook would be a nice player in Harbaugh or anyone's WCO. Harbaugh's comments seem to point towards Dixon being the #2 back. No way BW returns as the #3 guy. Sounds like Gore will still get plenty of playing time also. Signs point to BW playing elsewhere next season.

• West
  • Veteran
Gore is a Beast!! We have Dixon backing up Gore and should draft a young change of pace back like Shane Vereen. 3 back with receiving skills. Plus drafting Vereen can cover another need in our return game.
He's definitely not more valuable than Gore, but I'd love to see him back in a Niner uniform this year.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Anthony Dixon will be his main back.

yuppppp...i dnunno why these guys are talkin bout westbrook were not even bringin him bak net year
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
What do people think? Is Brian Westbrook, arguably one of the top 3 NFL running backs in terms of receiving ability (and not a bad runner either) a better fit than Frank Gore in a Harbaugh WCO-style offensive scheme?

Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
no
Share 49ersWebzone