LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Originally posted by Pick6:
wow this thing is still going...

We REALLY need a QB.

Big understatement. Take a look a Greenbay right now. They are at the point we were in 81. New up and coming star quarterback, with a young team with playmakers, and a coach that knows how to win. Look familiar? We need to get our hands on the next Joe Montana, Aaron Rodgers,Tom Brady etc. to compete for the championship, and I'm sure Harbaugh knows it. He's looking for a stand in right now, because this top five quarterback is nowhere to be found at this time.
But we don't have either Dwight Clark OR Freddie Solomon right now...and anyone that thinks Chilo Rachal is John Ayers is just as bad off as the guy that thinks Anthony Davis is Keith Fahnhorst.

C'mon dj we have more than enough talent on this offense to be a contender.
A contender in the NFC West, but not much beyond that.

No one would like to see this team win more than me but it appears some folks have some very inflated views of the talent on this team. The only decent players on offense are Gore, who is coming off a serious injury and has a lot of miles, and Vernon Davis, who is a big strong blocker with speed but who still doesn't know how to read a defense or run good routes.

The offensive line is filled with a bunch of underachievers who have shown nothing close to expectations, Iupati excepted, and the most important position, QB, is vacant at this time. We are all hoping that Harbaugh will turn a bunch of these guys into Pro Bowlers but that is not likely to happen. Things should definitely get better but I don't see any way this current roster is competitive outside the NFCW this season. I honestly think 7 wins this year will be the upper limit...and that assumes someone other than a rookie is playing QB. If it is a rookie then 6 wins is a dream season.

134 catches, 1879 yards, and 20 TDs

For someone who doesnt read defenses or run routes pretty well, these numbers are pretty good wouldnt you say?

Anything can happen in the NFL. I dont think anyone expects Harbaugh to make us an instant title contender. I think that everyone is excited that finally we have a guy who is offensive-minded, and he will be able to make this offense formidable, instead of being a huge liability.
Originally posted by joeymac49s:
Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by joeymac49s:
OK I have to ask this question to the board b/c I was asked this question right after we lost to the Rams to be eliminated from the playoffs. Since i'm from Philly and live in South Jersey, I was asked... Do you think if McNabb was your QB this year you would have made the playoffs??

As much as it pains me to say this b/c I am NOT a McNabb fan, I said yes. I have to believe with McNabb at the helm we would have won at least 1-2 of those 3 point games. I mean I know he had a bad year in Washington but lets be realistic, everyone has bad years in Washington. I have to believe our offense is better then the skins. I mean besides QB our RB's are better, our WR's are better, our O-line is betterish, our TE's are probably even when you compare the group but they're still a strength. Now if McNabb is our QB and we make the playoffs, does Sing get fired?? Its funny how 1 thing can change the whole landscape of the year. If Sing was smart and didn't put his career on the shoulders of a kid who has fallen flat on his face 5 years in a row. He might possibly still be our head coach....

Now, the reason I bring this up is b/c I believe we should sign McNabb this year (man it really does pain me to say that...) For 3 reasons. 1. He still has 2-3 decent years left in him and he trains in AZ which is a lot closer to SF then a lot of other teams. (except for AZ which is where he'll probably go). 2. He should be a master of the West Coast offense by now and 3. He is a team player, so he should have NO problem grooming Ponder/Kaepernick or Devlin. He did a great job with Vick and Kolb. So good they kicked him out of town b/c they didn't need him anymore. He should def. be our #2 FA signing. with #1 being Asomugha

1) Ummm, no. If he can't master Shanahan's offense, and he proved it by regressing, why get the guy. PLUS how much do you think it will cost us to sign the guy??? $7-12 million range for a year?

2) Master or not, he regressed under Shanny. And Shanny is as good as they come when it comes to the WCO.

3) I'll give you that much but again, see answer 1 & 2.

I think he's going to get a rude awakening if he thinks he's going to get $7-12 Mil coming off the season he just had. I think we can get him cheap and thats why I say we get him. If 7-12 is the asking price then no way. We still have to pay a QB we draft to sit behind him. I understand Shanny is a master at the WCO but it can't all be put on Donovan. He didn't exactly have a great supporting cast. I mean they went thru what 12 rbs? and i don't even think i'm exaggerating that much. I think if McNabb goes to Minny or AZ next year he has a bounce back year and a small part of us will regret not signing him. McNabb and Hasselbeck are going to make some team happy for a year or two. Also, you didn't answer the initial question. Do you think with McNabb at the helm last year we make the playoffs??

With the crappy state of the NFC West? Hell yes. But that's not saying much.

• dj43
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

We REALLY need a QB.

Big understatement. Take a look a Greenbay right now. They are at the point we were in 81. New up and coming star quarterback, with a young team with playmakers, and a coach that knows how to win. Look familiar? We need to get our hands on the next Joe Montana, Aaron Rodgers,Tom Brady etc. to compete for the championship, and I'm sure Harbaugh knows it. He's looking for a stand in right now, because this top five quarterback is nowhere to be found at this time.
But we don't have either Dwight Clark OR Freddie Solomon right now...and anyone that thinks Chilo Rachal is John Ayers is just as bad off as the guy that thinks Anthony Davis is Keith Fahnhorst.

No one would like to see this team win more than me but it appears some folks have some very inflated views of the talent on this team. The only decent players on offense are Gore, who is coming off a serious injury and has a lot of miles, and Vernon Davis, who is a big strong blocker with speed but who still doesn't know how to read a defense or run good routes.

The offensive line is filled with a bunch of underachievers who have shown nothing close to expectations, Iupati excepted, and the most important position, QB, is vacant at this time. We are all hoping that Harbaugh will turn a bunch of these guys into Pro Bowlers but that is not likely to happen. Things should definitely get better but I don't see any way this current roster is competitive outside the NFCW this season. I honestly think 7 wins this year will be the upper limit...and that assumes someone other than a rookie is playing QB. If it is a rookie then 6 wins is a dream season.

For someone who doesnt read defenses or run routes pretty well, these numbers are pretty good wouldnt you say?

Anything can happen in the NFL. I dont think anyone expects Harbaugh to make us an instant title contender. I think that everyone is excited that finally we have a guy who is offensive-minded, and he will be able to make this offense formidable, instead of being a huge liability.
Those are decent numbers for a TE, however, as we both know, a lot of that was accumulated in garbage time.

That aside, Davis has been the only receiver to accomplish much of anything. And yes, he still only runs deep seam routes well and those are not consistent. I am placing my hope on Harbaugh and staff to teach Davis and the others how to run routes and read defenses, and sit any who are not in camp doing the work to accomplish it.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Well if we go with replacement players he can always be an option.

Originally posted by susweel:

SIGN HIM!!! i would love to have Shane Falco
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by BMoore56:

I wonder if Joe would let him wear #16 ???
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

We REALLY need a QB.

Those are decent numbers for a TE, however, as we both know, a lot of that was accumulated in garbage time.

That aside, Davis has been the only receiver to accomplish much of anything. And yes, he still only runs deep seam routes well and those are not consistent. I am placing my hope on Harbaugh and staff to teach Davis and the others how to run routes and read defenses, and sit any who are not in camp doing the work to accomplish it.

If he stays on the pace he has been on, I am more than happy with his production. Harbaugh focuses his offense around his tight ends and RBs, so I fully expect him to work with Davis on all aspects of the game. Davis could be a monster in the WCO.

I think I read a post where someone showed Vernon's comment on Twitter about going to the practice field with "his new coach". If he is out there working already, I think we are in good hands.
My opinion is that we do NOT keep Alex Smith. What has he done for this franchise since he's been here? 4 losings seasons (1 0.500 season when S.Haill started half the season). We thought it was the offensive line, we drafted 2 OL last year and NO CHANGE. We thought it was the offensive coordinators so we kept J.Raye for 2 seasons and NO CHANGE. Ladies and gentlemen, we need to move on. Alex is not the answer. I'm no NFL scout, but as I watch all his games, Alex takes a long time to figure out who is going to throw too. The ball takes too long to get to where it needs to be. Our offense has been cut down to short pases (screens, dump-offs, etc.). We have been handcuffing our team when Alex is at QB. Our team will not have the weapons we have forever.

There is no qb talent in the draft that would be ready for an immediate start. In my opinion no QB in this years draft deserves better than a 3rd round grade.

Kolb has not done anything consistent for the Philadelphia Eagles. I see that Kolb wants to be a starter. I see that he is a competitor. I don't know that he has been consistent enough to give away a 2nd round, much less a 1st. He is a better option than Alex Smith though.

Orton will never get released by the Broncos after the phenomenal season he had. He will get re-signed, and Tebow will be a situational player and backup for the Broncos.

McNabb is not the answer either. His skills are degrading with age. He is not the scrambler he use to be and his accuracy and method for handling pressure is suspect.

Young could be a great fit for the 49ers, but his off the field issue may jeopardize our 2011 season at any point in time. I would not risk him being the starter. I may consider him a backup until he learns how to contain his fuse.

With that said, the best bet for the 49ers is Josh Johnson. Josh is not a household name and J.Freeman appears to be the clear cut starter in TB, which means that his trade value is favorable for the niners, maybe a 3rd round at most but most likely a 4th round. If you look at what's been done in college, he's as good on the ground as he is in the air. He can make all the passes, 15-yard outs, deep tight spirals on fly routes, and simple screen passes. He has all the physical features that you look for in a QB: tall, big hands, and quick feet.

So, if he's so good, why isn't he the starter for a non-playoff team? Well, he was drafted the same year that Jon Gruden (HC of TB at the time) was stock piling QBs. Remember when he traded for Jake Plummer, started Bruce Gradkowski, signed Chris Simms with Brian Griese on the bench and then drafted Josh Johnson? Yeah, Josh Johnson by default fell into queue behind 4 other Qbs. The following years led to Johnson having to fight his way through the teams QB line ups. Right when Johnson was primed to be starter, J. Freeman was drafted in the 1st round and stopped J.Johnson's pursuit for the starting job. The truth is, Josh Johnson was never given an opportunity to start in the NFL. Alex Smith, on the other hand, has had 5 seasons.

It's time to move on.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BMoore56:

Id rater go with the former Ohio State quarterback Johnny Utah
Alex Smith because we're gonna have a lockout yo

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

I'd rather have Shane Falco.

Enjoy another 0-5 start then..
Originally posted by fakers23:

Enjoy another 0-5 start then..

No we're going to start 3-0 with replacement playas yo
I'm kinda debating on whether or not Carson Palmer would be a good choice...
  • mod
  • Veteran
I couldnt care less between Alex, Carson and Donovan
Share 49ersWebzone