LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Alex Smith because we're gonna have a lockout yo

Enjoy another 0-5 start then..

That's how we start off with Alex as well.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Alex Smith because we're gonna have a lockout yo

Enjoy another 0-5 start then..

That's how we start off with Alex as well.

That's what he was saying dude
I think that McNabb just might be our QB next season.

My top choice would be Orton, though.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by BMoore56:
Originally posted by susweel:
Well if we go with replacement players he can always be an option.

SIGN HIM!!! i would love to have Shane Falco

Id rater go with the former Ohio State quarterback Johnny Utah

Nah trade for this guy...

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Originally posted by Pick6:
wow this thing is still going...

We REALLY need a QB.

Big understatement. Take a look a Greenbay right now. They are at the point we were in 81. New up and coming star quarterback, with a young team with playmakers, and a coach that knows how to win. Look familiar? We need to get our hands on the next Joe Montana, Aaron Rodgers,Tom Brady etc. to compete for the championship, and I'm sure Harbaugh knows it. He's looking for a stand in right now, because this top five quarterback is nowhere to be found at this time.
But we don't have either Dwight Clark OR Freddie Solomon right now...and anyone that thinks Chilo Rachal is John Ayers is just as bad off as the guy that thinks Anthony Davis is Keith Fahnhorst.

How did Clark and Solomon do before Montana played?

Exactly!
Originally posted by pigskin:

We REALLY need a QB.

Big understatement. Take a look a Greenbay right now. They are at the point we were in 81. New up and coming star quarterback, with a young team with playmakers, and a coach that knows how to win. Look familiar? We need to get our hands on the next Joe Montana, Aaron Rodgers,Tom Brady etc. to compete for the championship, and I'm sure Harbaugh knows it. He's looking for a stand in right now, because this top five quarterback is nowhere to be found at this time.
But we don't have either Dwight Clark OR Freddie Solomon right now...and anyone that thinks Chilo Rachal is John Ayers is just as bad off as the guy that thinks Anthony Davis is Keith Fahnhorst.

How did Clark and Solomon do before Montana played?

Exactly!

Actually, Freddie had pretty much the same game in Miami before coming to the 9ers. His best years were with the 9ers in 79 and 81. 1979 was before Montana became a starter. As far as Dwight Clark is concerned he came to the 9ers with Montana in 1979, so they grew up together as football players.

Edit: In 1979 DeBerg was Solomon's QB and in Miami he had a guy named Griese.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 10, 2011 at 17:44:41 ]
Draft Kaeperncik, and trade for Josh Johnson, resign either Smiths.

A Smith, can battle it out with Johnson!

Kaeperncik can hold a clipboard for a couple of seasons.

From an article on our Qb situation:

"He's always been very competitive," Theder says of Kaepernick. "He outworks everybody. He works very hard and he has a tremendously strong arm. There are some kids that sort of don't want to catch the ball from him."

And if Harbaugh and the 49ers pass on Kaepernick, Theder has another former pupil who'd fit in nicely - Josh Johnson. Theder mentored Johnson when he was at Oakland Technical High School. In fact, Theder says that he was the one who first mentioned Johnson to Harbaugh when the two bumped into each other at Miramonte High School shortly after Harbaugh became the head coach at the University of San Diego.
Give Theder an A+ in matchmaking. Harbaugh ended up recruiting Johnson to play for the Toreros. In 2006, Harbaugh's last year at San Diego, Johnson led the nation in passing efficiency and he did it again the following season. Johnson left the school with 11,563 yards of total offense and was a fifth-round pick by the Buccaneers in the 2008 draft.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/02/qb-guru-niners.html#ixzz1Dc3IAXSI
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Quote:

I’ve had a couple meetings with him,” Harbaugh said. “It’s been good. And I look forward to continuing that [this week] when he’s back in town.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:

We REALLY need a QB.

C'mon dj we have more than enough talent on this offense to be a contender.
A contender in the NFC West, but not much beyond that.

No one would like to see this team win more than me but it appears some folks have some very inflated views of the talent on this team. The only decent players on offense are Gore, who is coming off a serious injury and has a lot of miles, and Vernon Davis, who is a big strong blocker with speed but who still doesn't know how to read a defense or run good routes.

The offensive line is filled with a bunch of underachievers who have shown nothing close to expectations, Iupati excepted, and the most important position, QB, is vacant at this time. We are all hoping that Harbaugh will turn a bunch of these guys into Pro Bowlers but that is not likely to happen. Things should definitely get better but I don't see any way this current roster is competitive outside the NFCW this season. I honestly think 7 wins this year will be the upper limit...and that assumes someone other than a rookie is playing QB. If it is a rookie then 6 wins is a dream season.

We are a contender now in the NFC West, if our QB's hadn't choked on more than half of the games this year we most likely would've won the division. And wow your criticism of Vernon Davis couldn't be more off, hes probably the best blocking TE in the league who was underutilized last year. Davis gets much separation on his routes, there's a reason he has been our best receiver the last two years. But like you said, the QB is the most important position and our offense goes as our QB does.
Palmer or Mcnabb please.

I want Dennis Dixon and Josh Johnson
  • dj43

We REALLY need a QB.

No one would like to see this team win more than me but it appears some folks have some very inflated views of the talent on this team. The only decent players on offense are Gore, who is coming off a serious injury and has a lot of miles, and Vernon Davis, who is a big strong blocker with speed but who still doesn't know how to read a defense or run good routes.

The offensive line is filled with a bunch of underachievers who have shown nothing close to expectations, Iupati excepted, and the most important position, QB, is vacant at this time. We are all hoping that Harbaugh will turn a bunch of these guys into Pro Bowlers but that is not likely to happen. Things should definitely get better but I don't see any way this current roster is competitive outside the NFCW this season. I honestly think 7 wins this year will be the upper limit...and that assumes someone other than a rookie is playing QB. If it is a rookie then 6 wins is a dream season.

We are a contender now in the NFC West, if our QB's hadn't choked on more than half of the games this year we most likely would've won the division. And wow your criticism of Vernon Davis couldn't be more off, hes probably the best blocking TE in the league who was underutilized last year. Davis gets much separation on his routes, there's a reason he has been our best receiver the last two years. But like you said, the QB is the most important position and our offense goes as our QB does.
Davis gets separation on one route; a seam route when he has only a LB to beat underneath and a safety coming from the side. He wins that one most of the time. As to the typical curl and slant routes and blitz adjustments...not so well. The fact he has been the most productive receiver is more of a criticism of the weak crew of wide outs than his own prowess. That is his history. As to how he does in the future, I trust Harbaugh's staff will do a much better job than Pete Hoener.
Originally posted by tohara3:
I want Dennis Dixon and Josh Johnson

Johnson is intriguing because he was so successful with Harbaugh in college. It's always good to have a QB around who has run your system, if for no other reason than to help tutor other QBs. Didn't work so well with Martz and JTO, but usually helps.

Edit: This comment is deleted as it is in the wrong thread!

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 11, 2011 at 07:23:27 ]

We REALLY need a QB.

Davis gets separation on one route; a seam route when he has only a LB to beat underneath and a safety coming from the side. He wins that one most of the time. As to the typical curl and slant routes and blitz adjustments...not so well. The fact he has been the most productive receiver is more of a criticism of the weak crew of wide outs than his own prowess. That is his history. As to how he does in the future, I trust Harbaugh's staff will do a much better job than Pete Hoener.

VD is an interesting case for Harbaugh's O. It is TE friendly and Davis will have many opportunities to show what he can do. If he learns to read the D with the QB it will be an unbelievable year for him. Imagine VD cutting in front of the defender on a quick slant on blitz plays and then going the distance! Until now he usually has the pass hit him in the back because he hasn't been able to recognize when to turn around.

Walker seems much more able to separate and is one of my favorite players but he is injured often and does he fit in the Harbaugh O? His TEs block on the move and at the LOS, which VD does well but Walker not so much.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 11, 2011 at 07:12:40 ]
Originally posted by cuhran:
My First Choice Would Be To Try Getting Kolb By Trading A Draft Pick.

2nd Option Would Be To Sign A FA...Example: Orton Or Mcnabb, Draft Cam Newton If He's Available At 7th And Let Him Grow Under Mcnabb...I Would Not Take Any Other QB With Our 7th Pick. I Think All Other Qb's In The Draft Are 2nd Rounders, Mallet Is Good But Did Not Like How He Moved In The Pocket. If We Cant Get Newton @ 7 I Say We Go For a CB Or DE And Draft A QB Like Kellen Moore Or Blaine Gabbert In The 2nd Round..........

ditto........ Except that first statement. I believe Kolb is just another example of how good Andy Reid system is check Garcia, McNabb, Vick, and practically every QB he has coach the last 8 to 10 years.. Kolb is not a starting QB anywhere but Philly

[ Edited by D-NOTTE on Feb 11, 2011 at 07:16:52 ]
Share 49ersWebzone