There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We should thank Brian Billick

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
With Gruden saying he will not return to coaching, the Niners top three coaching targets likely will include Billick, Harbaugh, and Jeff Fisher if he leaves Tennessee.

I would take Jeff Fisher in a less than a heartbeat!! I'd snap your hands off for Harbaugh! Billick, I might give you a bag of chips. LOL
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
With Gruden saying he will not return to coaching, the Niners top three coaching targets likely will include Billick, Harbaugh, and Jeff Fisher if he leaves Tennessee.

I would take Jeff Fisher in a less than a heartbeat!! I'd snap your hands off for Harbaugh! Billick, I might give you a bag of chips. LOL

Don't forget Holmgren
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:

Don't forget Holmgren

Holmgren won't be leaving Cleveland. He has already given statements about how he wants to finish what he started in Cleveland, even if it meant returning to coaching (but for Cleveland).
Why so high on Jeff Fisher??
I don't know why no one is mentioning Brian Schottenheimer. He's young and energetic. He is offensive minded. He comes from a great football family. And last offseason he was one of the hottest head coaching candidates. I personally would prefer an experienced coach (like Gruden) but I think Schottenheimer is just as good of a candidate as Harbaugh, maybe better.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I don't want him to bring his low scoring style from baltimore here, we had enough of the baltimore nolanterry era.

edit: don't want jeff fisher either.

Hey unst4bl, don't pop off without knowing the facts. Here is Billick's track record when he was an assistant coach with the Vikings:

Assistant Coach

The Vikings made the playoffs during six of the seven seasons (1992–1998) that Billick spent with the team, and set several offensive records in the process. In 1998, Minnesota set a then-NFL record for most points scored in a season (556) (which has since been broken by the 2007 Patriots), and set a team record with 41 touchdown passes. His work under Minnesota head coach Dennis Green put Billick in the Sid Gillman coaching tree.

When he was a head coach, he played to his teams strengths and ended up with a Super Bowl ring. He wasn't the offensive coordinator for those Ravens teams, and they won according to the talent they had on the squad.

THIS

That Ravens' superbowl team didn't have much on offense, but he had a great D and he knows how to coach.

Jeff F. is staying in Tennesse and Harbaugh (more than likely) would need a couple of years to adapt/learn before he leads a team to the playoffs/superbowl.

Billick had time to sit back and observe, has a proven track record and he really wants to get back in to coaching. San Francisco is in his sights. He practically was begging for the job with all that sweet talking (on our so-called "talent") on television... I'm surprised he didn't compliment the mascot while he was doing all that ass kissin!

I'm down with Billick, or if possible; a come-back by Mariucci.
Originally posted by seeking6th:
I don't want him to bring his low scoring style from baltimore here, we had enough of the baltimore nolanterry era.

Hey unst4bl, don't pop off without knowing the facts. Here is Billick's track record when he was an assistant coach with the Vikings:

Assistant Coach

The Vikings made the playoffs during six of the seven seasons (1992–1998) that Billick spent with the team, and set several offensive records in the process. In 1998, Minnesota set a then-NFL record for most points scored in a season (556) (which has since been broken by the 2007 Patriots), and set a team record with 41 touchdown passes. His work under Minnesota head coach Dennis Green put Billick in the Sid Gillman coaching tree.

When he was a head coach, he played to his teams strengths and ended up with a Super Bowl ring. He wasn't the offensive coordinator for those Ravens teams, and they won according to the talent they had on the squad.

THIS

That Ravens' superbowl team didn't have much on offense, but he had a great D and he knows how to coach.

Jeff F. is staying in Tennesse and Harbaugh (more than likely) would need a couple of years to adapt/learn before he leads a team to the playoffs/superbowl.

Billick had time to sit back and observe, has a proven track record and he really wants to get back in to coaching. San Francisco is in his sights. He practically was begging for the job with all that sweet talking (on our so-called "talent") on television... I'm surprised he didn't compliment the mascot while he was doing all that ass kissin!

Mooch was to conservative.
Originally posted by E-49er:
I think what happen with the Ravens offense while Billick was there was the same thing that happened here since the nolan era started. Too many mistakes at the QB position. Billick had Dilfer,Grbac and Boller as his main starting QBs (anthony wright,jeff blake and chris redman bridged the gap betweeb Grbac and Boller.) We all know Dilfer was asked to just not make mistakes and then was pushed out after the Superbowl to make room for Grbac who retired after just 1 season with the Ravens after playing good in spot duty for the niners. We all know what happened when Boller started. The problem is when you miss at the QB position it sets your franchise back significantly.

If Billick can get the right QB under center for the 49ers if hired, I believe he has enough creativity from his OC calling days at Minnesota to make the 49er offense a formidable one. The other offensive weapins are in place.

Agreed... I just want a good experienced coach for a change!
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
yep Westbrook, Morgan, and Davis all had 70+ yard receiving.

Too bad he couldn't stay around to help out MS.

take his job is what he should do...the way he talks about our playmakers and D and all our talent I think he wants the job

ya he is definitely a strong dark horse candidate with SF ties.
I think billick goes after cunningham errrr.....cam newton
The problems I see here is that whoever the coach is has to turn it around quickly because before you know it the fans will be yelling for whoever the new coach's head is.

I remember when M Singletary took over for M Nolan and finished out what was it 3-1 EVERYBODY wanted Singletary as HC...ok maybe not everybody but most here wanted him. 1st full year of Singletary he goes 8-8 Not Good but not bad and this is with Johnny Raye as the OC.

As someone here pointed out...Bill Walsh started 8 - 24 his 1st 2 seasons with the Niners Now I can see everyone (Not knowing how things would have turned out as they did) would want Walsh's head on a platter. Only reason people would want to keep Walsh here is cause they know what happened. Now Im not saying my any means that Singletary will be as successful because he's already got 13 wins with 3 games left. But what Im saying is the fans here give Coaches almost no leash at all for getting things done.

The Thing that Killed the Niners IMHO is when N Turner late in the offseason bolted for the Chargers. A Smith improved leaps and bounds over his rookie season. A Season that NO QB would have done well with that team. And then you have a coach that basically calls you a sissy cause you cant play with a seperated shoulder...For those of you that think A Smith failed as a QB during that season a few years back after the Giants injured that shoulder that agrred with Nolan thinking he was a sissy. I'd like to see you try playing even in a leasure game of football...and wait til you got hit in that shoulder just once see what would happen.

Alot of people here are going by A Smith's record to say weather or not he's a bust I say forget the record. As I stated above his rookie season he was on a team that was lucky to win a game...comeon when you have B Lloyd as your STAR WR and Barlow your Main RB til Gore took over, and a line that would have you running for your life all game long...But I think if B Billick were to take this team as HC I think he'd have something he didnt have in Baltimore to work with... a QB thats better than what he had in Balt. a TE wno is a better athlete not sure he's a better TE though, and definitely better WR s with Morgan and Crabtree. than what he had to work with in Baltimore. And I think if the Niners keep B Westbrook somehow then B Billick wont be afraid to use him together with F Gore.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
If billick came here and did what he did with minnesota......
Originally posted by dmax:

That would be cool, in Minnesota he had a lot of weapons (Chris Cater, Jake Reed, Randy Moss, Robert Smith..etc )

He gets knocked a lot for having a boring offense in Baltimore, but in Baltimore he had Trent Dilfer at QB and an offense built for running the ball, versus in Minnesota where he had the weapons for an all out air assault on a defense.

If he came to SF he would have Crabtree, Davis, Gore and a young and improving offensive line..and plus Billick is a disciple of Bill Walsh and would bring a true WCO back to SF
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by dmax:

That would be cool, in Minnesota he had a lot of weapons (Chris Cater, Jake Reed, Randy Moss, Robert Smith..etc )

He gets knocked a lot for having a boring offense in Baltimore, but in Baltimore he had Trent Dilfer at QB and an offense built for running the ball, versus in Minnesota where he had the weapons for an all out air assault on a defense.

If he came to SF he would have Crabtree, Davis, Gore and a young and improving offensive line..and plus Billick is a disciple of Bill Walsh and would bring a true WCO back to SF
As you and others have noted, Billick would have more offensive weapons here than he had in Baltimore. Being a pretty bright guy, it is more reasonable to expect the offense to look more like Minne than Baltimore.

The biggest plus for Billick is that fact he has had good success running a team that won by offense, AND has won a Super Bowl relying on defense. That shows me an ability to adapt a system to the talent and be a winner.

We all want an interesting offense, especially given what we have endured the past 6 years, but we must not neglect defense. Billick has shown the ability to create that offense and he also understands how to win with defense. For me, that is the greatest attraction about Brian Billick. He has shown he knows how to make it work from both sides of the ball.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by seeking6th:

Assistant Coach

THIS

Mooch was to conservative.

True. However, maybe the big layoff, time to sit back and analyze games with his buddies at NFLN, maybe things could be different... same goes for Billick