LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Post Game Analysis (vs. Green Bay Packers)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
St. Louis and Seattle are losing right now. If both lose we'll still be one back.

I'm rooting for Carolina and Arizona so we get better draft position. As for playoff hopes, what's the point? Really? Only to get blown out in the first round? If we make it to the playoffs, it's only due to how bad the NFC west is. Draft position is the more strategic view.
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
I think front management needs to WITNESS just how bad this team really is. For the past 5 years, the s**t we've put forth on the field has given hope by playing good at season's end. That gives the front office the impression that we are ready to take it to the next level, and they let things be.

It's about time this ship sank, along with Sing, Manusky, Alex Smith, and everyone else thats been holding this team back for the past 7 years. If anything good cam,e from the Nolan era, it was that he put some pieces in place for the long haul. Hopefully, we keep our 3 headed monster (running backs) in check, and keep our LB core intact.

What we need is a coach that can put all the pieces together and make it work. I know some people feel that Harbaugh is the right choice, but how different is he from any other inexperienced head coach ? We'll be taking a shot in the dark, as we have been since 2005..........and this is NOT what this team needs.

Gruden has proven he can take a mess, and transform it into an acceptable unit. He did it in Oakland with a washed up Gannon, Tim Brown, Bruce Garner, and Jerry Rice. He took TB to its first Superbowl win after Dungy failed at it in years prior.

He is the right fit for this team. He knows offense.......he will draft a good young QB to develop.....sign a vet (possibly Kolb or McNabb) to buy us time to develop that young QB, and utilize all our pieces in the form of the WCO (thus promoting our "legacy" as Steve Young alluded to earlier this week).

No more tradeoffs, guessing games, shots in the dark. Its time to win, and we due it by purging the garbage on this roster. Out with Sing, MJ, Manusky. Out with Alex Smith, Goldson, Rachal, and every other POS on this roster that has not contributed accordingly.

The West is still young and naive, and can still be won quite easily for the next 2-3 years. We dont need to build from the bottom up. We need to rebuild from top down. And that is a lot easier to do than the s**t Bill Walsh had to work with back when he joined the team.

Kolb would cost way to much to trade for and McNabb was extended. Looking for good vets may no be a possibility. I would argue that he took Tony's team to the Superbowl, he didn't build them from scratch.

In many coaches/analysts/players/fans point of view, Tony Dungy is considered to be a better coach than Jon Gruden. The difference in TB was that Dungy could not get his team over the top. Gruden didnt change much from when he took over, and although you could argue that Gruden took Dungy's team to the SB, we could also interpret it as Gruden finishing what Dungy couldnt. The reason I feel comfortable saying that is because Gruden did a similar job in Oakland. He took a team of has-beens and made them into contenders. He has the fire and the knowledge to be a great NFL coach. Even when the Miami rumors were swirling earlier this week, the majority of analysts had a laugh......everyone knew that it would be a waste of Gruden's talents for him to "downgrade" himself to college level ball.

As for a vet pickup, another reason why I like Gruden's system. He took 2 guys with average skills (Gannon and Johnson), and made them probowlers. He doesnt require the best arm or leg(s) in his QB position. His scheme is simple enough that teams can execute it within one year of implementation. Yeah, having a McNabb or a Kolb would be a pipedream (and Gruden might be the job to pull off those trades, as McNabb's situation is precarious in Was, and Kolb seems to be playing second fiddle to Vick in Phi), but Gruden is more than capable of finding the right guy to cover the bases until a future prospectis developed.

Would YOU respect the Gruden decision to retain Alex for another year?

Gruden is smarter thatn that

answer the question
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
So coach, why did you opt to run the ball three times before the half with 56 seconds on the clock?

Coach: I don't know, I'll have to look at the film.

man this joke is getting old

-9fA

You know whats getting old is eight freaking losing seasons.

Truth. Pure truth.

I really hope the NFL seriously looks at changing the playoff entry rules THIS season IF an NFC West team wins it at 7-9 and there are other teams out there at 10-6 or better who stand to miss out.
I think front management needs to WITNESS just how bad this team really is. For the past 5 years, the s**t we've put forth on the field has given hope by playing good at season's end. That gives the front office the impression that we are ready to take it to the next level, and they let things be.

It's about time this ship sank, along with Sing, Manusky, Alex Smith, and everyone else thats been holding this team back for the past 7 years. If anything good cam,e from the Nolan era, it was that he put some pieces in place for the long haul. Hopefully, we keep our 3 headed monster (running backs) in check, and keep our LB core intact.

What we need is a coach that can put all the pieces together and make it work. I know some people feel that Harbaugh is the right choice, but how different is he from any other inexperienced head coach ? We'll be taking a shot in the dark, as we have been since 2005..........and this is NOT what this team needs.

Gruden has proven he can take a mess, and transform it into an acceptable unit. He did it in Oakland with a washed up Gannon, Tim Brown, Bruce Garner, and Jerry Rice. He took TB to its first Superbowl win after Dungy failed at it in years prior.

He is the right fit for this team. He knows offense.......he will draft a good young QB to develop.....sign a vet (possibly Kolb or McNabb) to buy us time to develop that young QB, and utilize all our pieces in the form of the WCO (thus promoting our "legacy" as Steve Young alluded to earlier this week).

No more tradeoffs, guessing games, shots in the dark. Its time to win, and we due it by purging the garbage on this roster. Out with Sing, MJ, Manusky. Out with Alex Smith, Goldson, Rachal, and every other POS on this roster that has not contributed accordingly.

The West is still young and naive, and can still be won quite easily for the next 2-3 years. We dont need to build from the bottom up. We need to rebuild from top down. And that is a lot easier to do than the s**t Bill Walsh had to work with back when he joined the team.

Kolb would cost way to much to trade for and McNabb was extended. Looking for good vets may no be a possibility. I would argue that he took Tony's team to the Superbowl, he didn't build them from scratch.

In many coaches/analysts/players/fans point of view, Tony Dungy is considered to be a better coach than Jon Gruden. The difference in TB was that Dungy could not get his team over the top. Gruden didnt change much from when he took over, and although you could argue that Gruden took Dungy's team to the SB, we could also interpret it as Gruden finishing what Dungy couldnt. The reason I feel comfortable saying that is because Gruden did a similar job in Oakland. He took a team of has-beens and made them into contenders. He has the fire and the knowledge to be a great NFL coach. Even when the Miami rumors were swirling earlier this week, the majority of analysts had a laugh......everyone knew that it would be a waste of Gruden's talents for him to "downgrade" himself to college level ball.

As for a vet pickup, another reason why I like Gruden's system. He took 2 guys with average skills (Gannon and Johnson), and made them probowlers. He doesnt require the best arm or leg(s) in his QB position. His scheme is simple enough that teams can execute it within one year of implementation. Yeah, having a McNabb or a Kolb would be a pipedream (and Gruden might be the job to pull off those trades, as McNabb's situation is precarious in Was, and Kolb seems to be playing second fiddle to Vick in Phi), but Gruden is more than capable of finding the right guy to cover the bases until a future prospectis developed.

answer the question

you're trying to get fly15 to respond with more than 10 words? Good luck

-9fA
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

answer the question

PWNED
how funny will it be if both Sea and Stl lose today and we're STILL only 1 game out with 3 divisional games left? this s**t is bizaar.

for the game....it's on the coaches and the QB.....Troy is a solid #2 QB and that's it....his accuracy killed us several times today, even on VD's big drop down the field the timing and placement were way off.

we replace Singetary/Mike Johnson/Greg Manusky and add a QB only and we're a 9-7 playoff team at worst probably a 10-6 team

if we do that AND add a RG/CB (or 2) and we're in the hunt in the NFC

we do all that AND add a big time passrusher, a home run threat either at RB or WR with blazing speed, and our young OL come together (which i believe will happen) this team would be a SB contender

I still have hope, our young core players are mostly signed long term (VD, Willis, Crabtree, Gore, Staley, Iupati, J.Smith, Clements, Spencer, A.Lee) and some players with potential (A.Davis, A.Brooks, T.Brown, T.Mays, N.Bowman, J.Morgan,RJF) some players we should be able to re-sign (D.Baas, T.Spikes, B.Westbrook)

this team should be attractive for a coach especially an offensive minded coach, comeon a great RB in Gore, the best 1-2 punch at TE with VD/Walker, Crabtree, a young OL with lots of potential. A young D that needs a couple upgrades and agressive coaching.

if i were Gruden/Harbaugh/Belicheck/Holmgren I'd be foaming at the mouth to coach this team.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
Is anyone even upset with this loss?

I'm not. I fully expected it. Knew they didn't have a chance in hell of winning today.

Niner losses don't even hurt me anymore, I am numb to them and the utter fail they are. There's all kinds of blame to go around, but it's hard to deny that the blame starts at the top, and rests almost fully on ownership, the front office, and then that utter failtard we have as a coach.

Yeah this loss isn't bothering me all that much. The OL looked like it is improving. By next year the OL could be league average which would be a large improvement.

Singletary still needs to be fired, the team still needs a QB and secondary help.

This team is not a power running team against real NFL defenses.

Dixon looks nowhere near as good as he did against 3rd and 4th stringers.

As long as the coaching staff is overhauled completely in the off-season I'll be happy. I don't care who it is, as long as it is someone with a current NFL ideology with some background in offense and mentoring QBs.

Oh and Dallas is whooping on Indy right now. What's all that BS about mid-season coaching changes don't change anything? Oh yeah, Minnesota blew out Buffalo too. Good thing mid-season coaching changes don't help.

[ Edited by RKab on Dec 5, 2010 at 14:18:40 ]
  • ZRF80

answer the question

No need to go into hypotheticals. All of us can agree that it takes Alex at least 2 seasons before he shows signs of executing a new offensive scheme. He failed at the WCO with McCarthy, but then again...he was only a rookie.

If you're asking me whether or not I would support Gruden's decision to give Alex another 2 years to learn a new offense and "possibly" execute it, then the answer is no. I would not.....I dont think any fan would, because chances are Alex wont be able to execute it.

The real question we should be asking ourselves is would Gruden give Alex another year or 2 to learn his WCO ? And I think everyone can agree the answer is NO.
F.A.I.L.

This loss doesn't hurt as much.

Wow good question. Probably not. I say Alex is damaged goods in SF. Remember "WE WANT CARR!" That's jumping the shark!
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
I really hope the NFL seriously looks at changing the playoff entry rules THIS season IF an NFC West team wins it at 7-9 and there are other teams out there at 10-6 or better who stand to miss out.

I disagree somewhat. I think you should be credited for winning the division....but yeah, the home game should go to the team with a better record. If the Wildcard team has a better record, they should get the home game. But dont punish a team just because they play in a poor division.....
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
So coach, why did you opt to run the ball three times before the half with 56 seconds on the clock?

Coach: I don't know, I'll have to look at the film.

Apparently he said it 5x in his post game.

OMG, I didn't know that. What a tool.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Mike Singletary as a Head Coach is simply not good and it trickles down from there to his staff pretty much. There are still a few holdovers from the last staff that should have been canned long time ago. Singletary has managed to indoctrinate the entire team with his stubborn "RAAAAGH! IM THE BIG BAD MONSTER OF THE MIDWAY" philosophy mixed in with his over the top Religious "Let's keep the faith and be thankful for our humiliation" mentality

The Equipment Staff brought slippers to the game instead of cleats.

Our starting QB is realistically a 3rd stringer at best.

Some say our previous starting QB despite how s**tty he has been, probably should play out the season because apparently our Offensive Coordinator says that our current QB knows about 1/3 of the playbook. Since we're in Week 13, I don't see a point in time when Troy will grasp the remaining 2/3 so they may have a valid point. Then again, Alex has proven he can't hack it so who are we kidding? Alex is done, Troy can come back as a 3rd stringer.

Our runningbacks are fine. I would like to see Westbrook retained and utilized properly, and I believe Anthony Dixon has a lot of upside once he settles into the NFL life.

Moran Norris does his job well but he's aging and our system may negate his abilities next season if we bring in a new staff.

Teams are scheming to take our best Defender out of games and our Defensive Coordinator has made zero adjustments to counter this. Oh, wait, maybe he has. His solution is to simply blitz Willis up the A gap a couple times a game to try and get a sack. WOW! What ingenuity!

Our defensive backs play 9-12 yards off the ball no matter who we play. It could be a West Coast Offense team like the Packers who we saw today running 5-yard ins and outs or it could be the Saints who play a more Spread attack. Doesn't matter, we're lining up at 9-12 yards and hoping for the best. The times you see our corners actually playing close to the line is when we're either playing Cover-2 or we're backed up on our own goal line. Pathetic scheming once again.

Dashon Goldson isn't helping himself land a big contract this off-season with the way he's played thus far but something tells me he's hurt. I dunno. Could be just a feeling I have but he seems like he's played hurt most the year... I could be wrong though, he may have regressed. Shawntae Spencer isn't having as solid a season as I'd hope but he's certainly not a liability and he's a good veteran that we need in the locker room since Walt Harris departed. I'm still on the fence when it comes to Taylor Mays. A LOT of teams passed on him because they didn't think he'd be able to cover in the NFL and make plays on the ball....Singletary on the other hand saw otherwise (what else is new?) and decided to pick him with a high draft choice. So, is Mays really the guy many people thought he'd be? Is this another example of Singletary's Stubborn Sight clouding his judgment of talent and potential? Or is Mays the rising star that Rod Woodson and Ronnie Lott and others say he will be?
Many questions in our secondary. It's obvious we need help. Drafting and signing quality free agents is the only solution. Clements will need to be replaced after next season (Solid-FA), Spencer will need to be replaced eventually (High Draft-Rookie), we need a proper Nickelback (Brown is not it). Phillip Adams can get better but I don't see him as more than a Special Teamer and Nickel at best. At safety, I hope Goldson is just off his game and will get back to form but its concerning. Reggie Smith is okay but I don't think he's the guy (FA).

Turns out our so-called Pro Bowl Nose Tackle isn't so Pro Bowl after all, now that he's got a few more zeros in his paycheck. What's that you say Justin Smith? "Best Nose in the game"? "Tape don't lie"? Well, like your Head Coach, I dont need to look at the film again and again to know that #92 has sucked eggs this season. Let's get RJF in there more often.

Our offensive line for what its worth has been just about what I expected this season. I had level expectations for our rookies and they haven't exceeded nor fallen short too much. Iupati seems a bit sloppy at times but I think Solari will clean it up if he's retained after this season..... Anthony Davis actually is what I thought he'd be. A young, energetic-type player that is verrrrrrrrrrrry new but has a good attitude and generally plays with vigor. Too me, AD has been one of the few guys on this offense that make me smile when I see them out there.

Our receivers. I don't think we have an elite corps but I think Crabtree will be elite one day soon, he's shown flashes. Josh Morgan has absolutely disappeared this season and his attitude and lack of effort really bothers me. Going forward, I don't see him being with this team beyond perhaps next year. I wouldn't mind if we got rid of him because quite frankly, he dogs it way too much. If you're going to be kept as the #2 guy because you're such a great BLOCKER that should translate to you being one of the more scrapy players on the team that gives his all even when others don't (see Ward, Hines). So, we're missing one receiver in my opinion. If Ginn can improve his hands and route running, we'd only really need to acquire one to replace Morgan. If we keep Westbrook and utilize him as we should and Kyle Williams shows anything as a receiver that should help stimulate Crabtree's development since opponents would need to respect the others. Speaking of development, Wide Receivers Coach Jerry Sullivan has done NOTHING in that department his entire tenure....why is he still receiving a paycheck from the 49ers? David Boston is your claim to fame??? Nuff said.

Our Tight Ends are fine. I would like to see Bynam improve some more in the pass blocking department so Vernon can move around more.

Nedney is done after 2 years I think...time to start grooming a replacement.

This team has great talent in terms of players but thats about it. The coaching staff is walking these guys off the plank and the front office doesn't seem to care. One can only hope that Jed York makes drastic changes this off-season and pumps some actually FOOTBALL INTELLIGENCE into this once envied franchise.
Share 49ersWebzone