LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Can we bench Anthony Davis now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I can understand the frustration, but I think everyone needs to take a step back right now. Davis is young, learning on the job, and getting almost no help. He's basically played on an island for most of the year. He's also gotten almost no help from his RG as it has been in flux all year.

I'm willing to give him time.
he is mentally too young to be an NFL starter right now. But in the long run it will help him. I just wonder if it could cost us the season
Originally posted by Schulzy:
I can understand the frustration, but I think everyone needs to take a step back right now. Davis is young, learning on the job, and getting almost no help. He's basically played on an island for most of the year. He's also gotten almost no help from his RG as it has been in flux all year.

Thank you for talking some sense. Davis is 20 years old, and is still very raw. At times he flashes and other times he gets overwhelmed. I would be more concerned with Chilo than I would be with Davis.
Originally posted by 49er4life:
Originally posted by Schulzy:

Thank you for talking some sense. Davis is 20 years old, and is still very raw. At times he flashes and other times he gets overwhelmed. I would be more concerned with Chilo than I would be with Davis.

Some of those penalties on him today were actualluy pretty weak. The same thing-if not more-happens practically all of the time in the NFL.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d81c1e882/Crabtree-hangs-onto-TD-pass?module=HP_video
Kwame Harris 2.0
kwame 2.0
Originally posted by adrenaline:
The entire offensive line looked pretty abysmal, not just him. Although, he gets most of the heat because of the TD callbacks.

No, he gets the heat because he played worse than any of them, BY FAR. He made Chilo look like an all-pro by comparison.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
davis DID go against a future elite nfl pass rusher today...FYI

he sucked horribly though in his effort...

dammit

Staley went up against Strahan in his rookie year and didn't look half as bad as Anthony Davis did today.

Strahan at that time >>>>> Chris Long.

There's no excuse for the sh*tty play. The bottom line is it needs to end.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Tell me who is going to replace him now that Staley has a broken fibula. Yes, the kid has had it rough and committed some killer penalties today. He was also going up against Chris Long who is a handful. He is a rookie who is having to grow into his role faster than expected because of his draft status and the Niners lack of depth. I wouldn't bench him just yet, just because I don't see anyone better.

If you want someone to bench, how about Rachal? He is in year three and he still sucks.

We went through this "I don't see anyone better" crap with Alex Smith. The fact of the matter was we didn't know if we had anyone better because Singletary wouldn't let anyone else try even though Alex was stinking it up. Troy got a shot and has proven to be better. The same thing applies now with Davis. Boone is probably a better option, but we wouldn't know because Singletary doesn't give him a shot.

Our starting tackles should be Sims and Boone now that Staley is hurt.

Starting Sims for Staley is good with me. Sims did a great job when Staley was hurt last year. Alex Boone? Are you sure? The guy hasn't played a single down in a regular season game yet. Nobody knows if he can cut it on game day.

That's right, "nobody knows." We need to find out.

We do know, however, that Anthony Davis cannot cut it on game day. Not yet, at least.

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
cant bench him with staley goin down. the backups are gonna be needed on that side and i wouldnt want a 3rd stringer against the other teams top pass rushers

Why? Anthony Davis is playing like a 3rd stringer anyway. Maybe worse.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
I say with Staley out 4-6 weeks maybe move him back and try him out at his natrual position at LT and see how he does. Just an idea to consider.

Yeah, put a rookie who's been getting abused all year on thr QB's blind side. Smart move, real smart.

Good stuff to be sure. NT at is finest.
ADavis is a kid! Going up against grown ass men, whol have been doing this longer than he has. He has the size, skill, and strength to succeed, whoever thought he would come in and dominate off the bat, were asking for a humongus letdown....like now.

Yeup having TDs called back in one game, aint good. But we cant sit him now. We have a lot of $$$ tied up in him to let him sit on the bench and not learn. The only way he can learn is by experience...Iupati as well (his position is not nearly on the hot stove as a tackle position).

We all knew that this was coming. Now that Staley is gone again....no way we bench him now despite the cries from the armchair head coaches here.

Relax, Patience...next year we should reap the rewards for time invested. The $hit is Chess, not Checkers!

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Davis is 20 years old, a rookie and went against a very talented vet in Long. Why did people assume he would just come in and dominate as a rookie on this level?

PLEASE STOP BASHING DAVIS!!!

You ought to bashing Singletary or even Solari. Ask yourself WHY is Rachal still starting? He can't even block a safety (Lewis) and can't provide a rookie with any slack because he's a major suck. Yet the scheme CONTINUED to keep Davis out there on an island.

Ask yourself WHY was Alex Boone AND Barry Sims inactive??? Your back-up tackles are Snyder and Wragge??? Seriously? Wragge hasn't taken a snap at OT in 2 years. And don't talk to me about 45 active because the 49ers took Matt Kopa to London... that's right Kopa. (Who??)

PERSONNEL DECISIONS are the problem with this OL, not the talent. No, Davis IS NOT KWAME. Stop the ridiculous hyperbole. Even Orlando Pace had problems against the 49ers when he was a rookie and then went on to anchor a SB line.

When he has a bad game, SIMS should be at least available - you remember the guy we signed to a multi-million contract as a back-up??

stop with the ALEXcuses.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Davis is 20 years old, a rookie and went against a very talented vet in Long. Why did people assume he would just come in and dominate as a rookie on this level?

PLEASE STOP BASHING DAVIS!!!

You ought to bashing Singletary or even Solari. Ask yourself WHY is Rachal still starting? He can't even block a safety (Lewis) and can't provide a rookie with any slack because he's a major suck. Yet the scheme CONTINUED to keep Davis out there on an island.

Ask yourself WHY was Alex Boone AND Barry Sims inactive??? Your back-up tackles are Snyder and Wragge??? Seriously? Wragge hasn't taken a snap at OT in 2 years. And don't talk to me about 45 active because the 49ers took Matt Kopa to London... that's right Kopa. (Who??)

PERSONNEL DECISIONS are the problem with this OL, not the talent. No, Davis IS NOT KWAME. Stop the ridiculous hyperbole. Even Orlando Pace had problems against the 49ers when he was a rookie and then went on to anchor a SB line.

As PatrickJira says, don't destroy the kid's confidence by letting him feel like he (almost) lost the game on his own. That's not his fault his coach is so stupid to KEEP him in a situations where he's struggling without help.

When he has a bad game, SIMS should be at least available - you remember the guy we signed to a multi-million contract as a back-up??

+1. Top notch post.

Bottom line is that management needs to bring in a respected, veteran RG in the offseason to help Davis along. I've had enough of Rachal.
Share 49ersWebzone