There are 152 users in the forums

Can we bench Anthony Davis now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
HE'S A ROOKIE

He is supposed to suck and get better in yr2 before becoming a reliable player in yr3.

And in this case, since he is so YOUNG, we might want to give him an extra yr. The kid is actually pretty good considering his age. Last year he was a teenager, now he is facing Chris Long. Wait till he gets to 24.
Go take a look at the highlights of Crabtree's TD. Take a look at who stuffs Chris Long during that TD throw...Mr. Anthony Davis. What a play that was. If that's the future, I likey a lot!

That was a dominating play allowing T. Smith just over 4 seconds for that throw...4!

Very nice indeed. And yes, I am just taking that play in context. As far as the mistakes he's made, he's a rook...

end of line
Originally posted by ninertico:
Go take a look at the highlights of Crabtree's TD. Take a look at who stuffs Chris Long during that TD throw...Mr. Anthony Davis. What a play that was. If that's the future, I likey a lot!

That was a dominating play allowing T. Smith just over 4 seconds for that throw...4!

Very nice indeed. And yes, I am just taking that play in context. As far as the mistakes he's made, he's a rook...

end of line

Long must've been gassed from running around/through him all day.

I hope he can learn to stonewall people consistanly.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Tell me who is going to replace him now that Staley has a broken fibula. Yes, the kid has had it rough and committed some killer penalties today. He was also going up against Chris Long who is a handful. He is a rookie who is having to grow into his role faster than expected because of his draft status and the Niners lack of depth. I wouldn't bench him just yet, just because I don't see anyone better.

If you want someone to bench, how about Rachal? He is in year three and he still sucks.

We went through this "I don't see anyone better" crap with Alex Smith. The fact of the matter was we didn't know if we had anyone better because Singletary wouldn't let anyone else try even though Alex was stinking it up. Troy got a shot and has proven to be better. The same thing applies now with Davis. Boone is probably a better option, but we wouldn't know because Singletary doesn't give him a shot.

Our starting tackles should be Sims and Boone now that Staley is hurt.

Starting Sims for Staley is good with me. Sims did a great job when Staley was hurt last year. Alex Boone? Are you sure? The guy hasn't played a single down in a regular season game yet. Nobody knows if he can cut it on game day.

That's right, "nobody knows." We need to find out.

We do know, however, that Anthony Davis cannot cut it on game day. Not yet, at least.

Of course, you are assuming that Sing and Solari will actually make a change. This is the main problem IMO. Alex Smith stunk it up and the coaching staff never made the change till they had to. Rachal continues to stink it up yet they don't start Adam Snyder who has played much better than Rachal all year. The Niners still have Boone on the practice squad and he doesn't get a chance to prove himself.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
No.

We knew this going in that this kid most likely will go through a rough first season. More so than Iupati.

Keep him in there.

Maybe the difference is we know have a QB who can bail the rest of his teammates out by making big plays when it matters the most.

Got to agree with this. For some? It just takes a bit longer for the light to snap on. Iupati is clearly having the better season -- but he also plays a less demanding position.

There are going to be growing pains with any rookie. Some rookies will produce wonderful results in their first year of NFL play. Others will make you tear your hair out by the roots.

You cannot make snap judgements in this league. Davis deserves another year or two of seasoning.

If he's still making the same stupid mistakes in Year 3? That's when you think about pulling the plug.

But not now.

Like Chilo Rachal?

The scary thing is -- with Snyder hurt and Staley likely out for the year -- Rachal is the best we've got.

Enjoy the ride. Wear your seatbelts!

I guess you meant Davis not Rachal? I don't think Chilo is the best we have at anything! Right now if they play him at left not right, Simms is probably our best tackle IMO. Hope he gets some play!
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by ninertico:

end of line

Long must've been gassed from running around/through him all day.

I hope he can learn to stonewall people consistanly.

Consistency is what we hope follows as he gains experience. The potential is obvious though.

On that same play Iupati showed his growth as well. There were many games earlier in the season where he had nobody to block and didn't help Staley to his left or Baas to his right. On the same Crabtree play he shifted over and intercepted Staley's man and rode him past T. Smith just enough.

That was excellent pass pro from both our rookies.
KEEP IN IN.

Yes, he has struggled, but the more he plays, the more he learns and the more likely he will know what to do when things happen to him again.

We knew we were going to have O'Line issues this year when they started 2 rookies. Next year tho, they will have a fukll season under their belt and a full off-season to work and improve.

Davis will struggle the rest of the year, but the kid doesn't give up and he's working hard. You can see it in the games. He never quits.

He'll be fine, its just gonna take him some time. Continue playing him and you reap the benefit later this year and next.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
When someone is getting beat over and over and over again you either give him help or bench him. We did neither and continue to do so. Kids not the answer as of right now. Should have been starting sims from the start of the season.
It's the second or third time I heard it referenced, but AD wasn't called for the hold that negated Vernon Davis's amazing TD catch; that was called back on Staley's hold. AD was called for the hold that negated Crabtree's TD earlier in the 4th quarter (we settled for a FG). On that play, AD went to the ground and held onto Long and took him down with him.

The ref clearly said "#74"; the unofficial play-by-play on ESPN has it listed as Staley. The problem is that the announcers all just assumed it was Davis, so they talked about him (and Long) for three minutes after that play, even though he didn't deserve it. AD's coverage on that play was just as good as his coverage on the go-ahead TD to Crabtree three plays later.

Here's the video (you can clearly see Staley hold as Smith steps up in the pocket, AD is at the top of the screen. You can hear the ref call #74 and watch the announcers' misguided criticism on AD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoHMjTuJV04
Share 49ersWebzone