LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

Can we bench Anthony Davis now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
I say with Staley out 4-6 weeks maybe move him back and try him out at his natrual position at LT and see how he does. Just an idea to consider.

Are you serious? He can't even handle RT. How in the hell is he going to hangle LT in the NFL against the absolute best pass rushers?

Troy Smith trolley will get derailed.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 14, 2010 at 6:50 PM ]
Originally posted by AC49er:
Isn't he only like 21 years old or something? Dude is young and has great potential. He was going against a great passrusher in Long. Give the kid a break

I am giving him a break, that's why I said to bench him and not fire him.
i keep telling myself.............. hes a rookie............. hes a rookie. if this team has to deal with this from him next season then itll be time to put him on the junk list
The kid is getting schooled, a lot. The good news: he's young, and pretty athletic. Just needs some time to adjust, but maybe isn't ready to start right now.

As for LT, it is back to Sims, who played well in that role last year.

P.S. I thought Wragge was shockingly adequate at LT replacing Staley today. No meltdown at all. The Rams should have flipped Long to his side for more snaps.
Isn't he only like 21 years old or something? Dude is young and has great potential. He was going against a great passrusher in Long. Give the kid a break

No one wants to hear that. People are going to call him a bust and expect him to just man handle everyone he faces. Even if he is a rookie and going up against and up and coming complete DE in Long. People have already forgotten how good he looked against the Saints and even the Broncos he did pretty well.

Plus its not likely we have a better option. We have all these people calling for Boone because they wanted him to draft him in the 3rd rd but the kid went undrafted. Off the field issues don't drop you from getting drafted if your rated that high. Sure maybe someday he might be good but hopefully Davis pans out and we don't have to see Boone.
Originally posted by skynet907:
That guy has killed more drives than I anyone I have seen in years.

I think he could make an excellent OG with his ability to pull, he just doesnt have the agility to block even average edge rushers... Even though it seems like it, he might now be a total waste of a pick if we move him inside next year.

Long is not a great pass rusher. He got Alex Smith hurt which ended up being a good thing (sounds terrible) but he cost up pts and big yds vs the Eagles and really outside of the Saints game, he has not been very good this year.

Not saying he won't be good 2 or 3 years from now, but right now he belongs on the bench.
Dont understand why Johnson wasnt giving him any help.
Chris Long was a beast and would have beat a lot of good tackles today.
Having said that I think there are some red flags but with good coaching I think he'll be fine. He's 20.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
I say with Staley out 4-6 weeks maybe move him back and try him out at his natrual position at LT and see how he does. Just an idea to consider.

Are you serious? He can't even handle RT. How in the hell is he going to hangle LT in the NFL against the absolute best pass rushers?

Troy Smith trolley will get derailed.

Maybe LT is his natural position like NC said. Some guys play better on one side over the other and some guys like Staley can play both. Not everyone can. Its just like being right handed and left handed sort of. If need proof look at Barry Sims. He was a revolving door at RT and played LT just fine when he needed too last season.
No.. He has to play to get better. He won't get better watching from the sidelines.

In the meanwhile we have to suffer the growing pains.

This is so funny!!! We were all happy that we drafted Davis. He's going through growing pains as expected. 1 really bad game (and I do mean bad) and you're calling him a bust LMAO. Also Davis wasn't the only player that had costly penalties call against him he just had a lot.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Originally posted by teeohh:
you're killin me petey, you're killin me!

isnt it you're killin me smalls?

It's both! Depends on which movie your watching. Petey was the runningback in Remember the Titans... after he fumbled during practice coach Boone went off on him.

Of course I love The Sandlot... so Ham Porter's "your killing me smalls" is also appropriate.
I liked the pick at RT in the draft..BUT didnt want us to draft HIM!!!!.. I wanted Vel De Heer, Bulaga, or Scaffold.. We took this underachieveing lazy ass kid, and now were paying for it.
davis DID go against a future elite nfl pass rusher today...FYI

he sucked horribly though in his effort...

dammit
The entire offensive line looked pretty abysmal, not just him. Although, he gets most of the heat because of the TD callbacks.
Share 49ersWebzone