LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Can we bench Anthony Davis now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Many of you zoners have spoken the truth....virtually every rookie OT in this league gets torched at first. Usually, the coaching staff has the sense to put a veteran guard next to the rookie tackle to help him along during the bumps in the road of a rookie season. Yet another reason why this coaching staff needs to be replaced at the end of the season.

That being said, I certainly understand the criticism of Davis. He has had a rough time. However, I think he has had some good moments too. He certainly has shown potential. It was my hope that once he got some experience, he and Staley could switch positions and Davis could go back to the left side where he probably feels more comfortable.

I see this season as an investment....in the experience that both Davis and Iupati are getting. We all knew when these guys were drafted that they would have some rough moments. Here they are. Deal with them.

By the time Davis is 22 or 23 he will probably be a stud and we will all be laughing that we had this conversation. In the meantime, let us all take heart. It looks like Troy Smith may be a half way decent QB....and with a coming draft that has few if any real QB prospects that may fall to the Niners (forget about Andrew Luck), that is some good news in this very disappointing season.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
ADavis is a kid! Going up against grown ass men, whol have been doing this longer than he has. He has the size, skill, and strength to succeed, whoever thought he would come in and dominate off the bat, were asking for a humongus letdown....like now.

Yeup having TDs called back in one game, aint good. But we cant sit him now. We have a lot of $$$ tied up in him to let him sit on the bench and not learn. The only way he can learn is by experience...Iupati as well (his position is not nearly on the hot stove as a tackle position).

We all knew that this was coming. Now that Staley is gone again....no way we bench him now despite the cries from the armchair head coaches here.

Relax, Patience...next year we should reap the rewards for time invested. The $hit is Chess, not Checkers!

Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Many of you zoners have spoken the truth....virtually every rookie OT in this league gets torched at first. Usually, the coaching staff has the sense to put a veteran guard next to the rookie tackle to help him along during the bumps in the road of a rookie season. Yet another reason why this coaching staff needs to be replaced at the end of the season.

That being said, I certainly understand the criticism of Davis. He has had a rough time. However, I think he has had some good moments too. He certainly has shown potential. It was my hope that once he got some experience, he and Staley could switch positions and Davis could go back to the left side where he probably feels more comfortable.

I see this season as an investment....in the experience that both Davis and Iupati are getting. We all knew when these guys were drafted that they would have some rough moments. Here they are. Deal with them.

By the time Davis is 22 or 23 he will probably be a stud and we will all be laughing that we had this conversation. In the meantime, let us all take heart. It looks like Troy Smith may be a half way decent QB....and with a coming draft that has few if any real QB prospects that may fall to the Niners (forget about Andrew Luck), that is some good news in this very disappointing season.

The TD pass to Crabtree was a glimpse of the future for both rookie OL.

Davis locked up the DE (Chris Long I believe) and Iupati saved Staley by sliding over when nobody came his way and intercepting Staley's man when he got by.

T. Smith had all kinds of time to find Crabtree in the end zone
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
I say with Staley out 4-6 weeks maybe move him back and try him out at his natrual position at LT and see how he does. Just an idea to consider.

Are you serious? He can't even handle RT. How in the hell is he going to hangle LT in the NFL against the absolute best pass rushers?

Troy Smith trolley will get derailed.

Maybe LT is his natural position like NC said. Some guys play better on one side over the other and some guys like Staley can play both. Not everyone can. Its just like being right handed and left handed sort of. If need proof look at Barry Sims. He was a revolving door at RT and played LT just fine when he needed too last season.

exactly Barry Sims was horrid at RT 2 seasons ago and when he filled in for Staley last year at LT he played very poised. This is his first year at RT and yes I know he is dissapointing but we need to find a way to utilize him the best we can before we can truly slap the bust label on him. Say what you guys want to but it wont hurt to try it.
Originally posted by crabman82:
hes 20 years old, he probably should have stayed at rutgers one more year

What worries me more is his feet are slow and not NFL level. I'm fine with him learning because he is young. But he is just not quick or athletic. That's a big concern. I don't think that can get better.

You're joking, right? You realize that this kid is widely regarded to have upper-echelon quick feet? The kid's problem is that he's RAW. He gets beats with savvy moves after he's already in good position. He just needs to learn the game.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
That guy is horrendous. I can't belive we traded up for him. His feet are so slow...

Exactly, I am afraid he is a bust. Notice how long it takes him to get out from his stance and get his feet under him? We are in week ten and he hasn't improved. I don't think you can correct what is wrong with him. Who is drafting these guys? We probably have more 1st & 2nd round offensive lineman than anyone, and our line stinks.

I'm seeing bad habits of him being a waist bender instead of a knee bender. Low man will always get leverage in this case.

I thought Solari would be a big upgrade coaching up our Oline. Now I see why the Hawks dumped him.
[ Edited by Hopper on Nov 15, 2010 at 2:14 AM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
That guy is horrendous. I can't belive we traded up for him. His feet are so slow...

Exactly, I am afraid he is a bust. Notice how long it takes him to get out from his stance and get his feet under him? We are in week ten and he hasn't improved. I don't think you can correct what is wrong with him. Who is drafting these guys? We probably have more 1st & 2nd round offensive lineman than anyone, and our line stinks.

I'm seeing bad habits of him being a waist bender instead of a knee bender. Low man will always get leverage in this case.

I thought Solari would be a big upgrade coaching up our Oline. Now I see why the Hawks dumped him.

Solari was dumped because Carroll wanted to implement a WCO blocking scheme and Alex Gibbs is one of the best...and then he retired.

This really isn't Solari's fault. Any OL coach isn't going to look good when you have a change at center, a mediocre RG, rookie LG and RT, and an average LT.

At the very worst, Davis has the size and physical skills to succeed at OG if he doesn't pan out to be a OT. But I rather have him go through his rough patches this year, and learn from experience instead of playing poorly in a playoff game.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

This. I would have been happier had they only started Iupati. Two rookies on one line is not good. Davis could have been given plenty of playing time behind Sims. But hey ho, at least he gets the experience.

But guys, way, way too early to be calling him a bust! Give me a break. A young OT, half way through his first season. I can understand the call to pull him out of the firing line, but a bust!

Two years is what it takes, on the whole.
This is a stupid post, the guy is a rookie that is out there on his own. Like any other job in the world at the beginning you need some sort of guidance to get afloat.
and most of you guys forget that Long is a top5 DE. Doesnt get any recognition on the sorry Rams.

Originally posted by boriken_9er:
This is a stupid post, the guy is a rookie that is out there on his own. Like any other job in the world at the beginning you need some sort of guidance to get afloat.

...and you need time to sit and learn your job. He's not ready to start. Plain and simple. Wragge or even Boone would be a better option. Davis is playing worse than Kwame or Snyder ever did. Didn't we resign Barry Sims? Sims played great at LT last season. Sim at LT and Staley at RT... something.

Davis needs to be benched. Maybe he can start next season. Singletary was quick to bench Rachal (who got smoked by Michael Lewis yesterday) last season. Why such loyalty to Davis?
Originally posted by strickac:

...and you need time to sit and learn your job. He's not ready to start. Plain and simple. Wragge or even Boone would be a better option. Davis is playing worse than Kwame or Snyder ever did. Didn't we resign Barry Sims? Sims played great at LT last season. Sim at LT and Staley at RT... something.

Davis needs to be benched. Maybe he can start next season. Singletary was quick to bench Rachal (who got smoked by Michael Lewis yesterday) last season. Why such loyalty to Davis?

You'd start someone who has never started at tackle or someone who was on the PS last year over the player we drafted at #11? AND you want to try to start him again next year?

That doesn't simply make no sense. That makes less than no sense. If Anthony Davis is benched halfway through his rookie campaign, then he's never going to be a starter for this team, and we wasted a #1 draft pick without giving the guy a fair shot. That's why its never going to happen, and why this thread is one of the dumbest I've seen on the Webzone.

It's not a matter of loyalty, its a matter of common sense. He's 20 years old, he's a rookie, and the only O-lineman that he gets to line up next to seems to change on each play. He's a raw talent who will have some great performances (like he already has this year) and will have some bad performances. And by playing through them, he'll get better, the line will gel, and in 2-3 years will have one of the best, and one of the youngest, lines in the league.
Originally posted by sspiker:
Originally posted by strickac:

You'd start someone who has never started at tackle or someone who was on the PS last year over the player we drafted at #11? AND you want to try to start him again next year?

That doesn't simply make no sense. That makes less than no sense. If Anthony Davis is benched halfway through his rookie campaign, then he's never going to be a starter for this team, and we wasted a #1 draft pick without giving the guy a fair shot. That's why its never going to happen, and why this thread is one of the dumbest I've seen on the Webzone.

It's not a matter of loyalty, its a matter of common sense. He's 20 years old, he's a rookie, and the only O-lineman that he gets to line up next to seems to change on each play. He's a raw talent who will have some great performances (like he already has this year) and will have some bad performances. And by playing through them, he'll get better, the line will gel, and in 2-3 years will have one of the best, and one of the youngest, lines in the league.

Wow! I can't believe that made sense in your head.

Look, you said it yourself. It may take 2-3 years before Davis is the guy we drafted him to be. Plus, benching a 20 year old, who's very raw, does not mean he'll never start again. That's nonsense.

Davis is killing us on the right side. Physically, he has the tools. Mentally though, he's not up to par (yet). Wragge played well at LT yesterday when Staley briefly went out. Sims played great when Staley was injured last season. Since Staley has experience on both sides of the line, it makes sense (to me) to start exploring different options to protect Smith. Boone? Who knows what he can do? I know he can't be worse than Davis is now.

We're in a close race to win the division and we finally have some excitement at the QB position. It's vital that the Oline protect Troy. Davis is fine when we play our rush-oriented attack, but as Johnson and Singletary move forward with Troy, he's going to see more and more pass attempts. That's what scares me about leaving Davis in there.

We had 3 TDs called back yesterday. Stupid penalties are killing our momentum. Davis' stupid holding penalty in the 4th almost lost the game for us. It negated Vernon's spectacular catch.

IMO, that's unacceptable. Just because someone is a 1st round pick doesn't mean they should be excused for poor play. If he was a mid-round pick, he wouldn't be starting. You know that. It's just like the whole Alex Smith fiasco. The team had so much money invested in him that they felt they had to start him, no matter what. That's a recipe for disaster. It ruins teams.

I remember people getting on Vernon saying he is never going to catch the ball. He hasn't learned by now he ain't gonna. Not saying he is Rice but he has been holding on to the ball. He is probably slow out of his stance because he is thinking too much. That TD to Crabs he attacked Long instead of letting him get into him and it worked out just fine. Troy had all day to throw.
What I don't understand is why doesn't Singletary pull this kid to the side and use his "motivational powers" (from his DVD!) to whip this kid's psyche and get him focused during the game....I mean he did that to Alex Smith for bad play right?! Why can't he do it to AD for playing horribly!?

Hypocrisy!?
Share 49ersWebzone