There are 220 users in the forums

Why Smith Fell Through the Cracks?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I would have thought Troy Smith to be a lot smaller than Mike Vick, same size, uh

is he? same size?

T. Smith 6-0 217
M. Vick 6-0 215

Its not the size of the dog its the bite.

oh wait...........

Vick looked mighty dam good yesterday. I would't doubt if Kob is on the trading block this off season. If T.Smith doesn't work out, maybe we go that route?
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Nov 8, 2010 at 12:23 PM ]
Originally posted by English:
Height.

this is why.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I would have thought Troy Smith to be a lot smaller than Mike Vick, same size, uh

is he? same size?

T. Smith 6-0 217
M. Vick 6-0 215

oh wait...........

Vick looked mighty dam good yesterday. I would't doubt if Kob is on the trading block this off season. If T.Smith doesn't work out, maybe we go that route?
I highly doubt Philly trade Kolb. For one thing, where would they be now if the had not had him while Vick was hurt?

Every team in the league that wants to make a serious playoff run needs to have at LEAST a competent game manager as the backup. In a league that has over a dozen "game managers" STARTING, I don't see any teams willing to part with a solid QB.

As to trading for Kolb; you can be certain it would take a starter in exchange. Who are you willing to give up that Philly needs?
Originally posted by dj43:

is he? same size?

T. Smith 6-0 217
M. Vick 6-0 215

oh wait...........

I highly doubt Philly trade Kolb. For one thing, where would they be now if the had not had him while Vick was hurt?

Every team in the league that wants to make a serious playoff run needs to have at LEAST a competent game manager as the backup. In a league that has over a dozen "game managers" STARTING, I don't see any teams willing to part with a solid QB.

As to trading for Kolb; you can be certain it would take a starter in exchange. Who are you willing to give up that Philly needs?

I don't think it would take a starter just a high draft pick.

is he? same size?

T. Smith 6-0 217
M. Vick 6-0 215

oh wait...........

Probably just take a 2nd round pick in exchange. If T. Smith doesn't do it and we don't have a shot at Luck or Mallett then I'd do it and bring in a WCO coach.
  • dj43
Originally posted by lamontb:

is he? same size?

T. Smith 6-0 217
M. Vick 6-0 215

oh wait...........

By "high," what do you mean? How high? A first? Second?

Kolb was the #36 pick overall and has a career QB rating of 82, which is just about in the middle of current starting QBs in the league.

is he? same size?

T. Smith 6-0 217
M. Vick 6-0 215

oh wait...........

Kolb was the #36 pick overall and has a career QB rating of 82, which is just about in the middle of current starting QBs in the league.

Probably a 2nd round pick dude. Don't forget that Kolb has a decent sized extension on his contract and if they pay Vick they're not going to want all that money invested in the QB position, as well as him not wanting to stick around for his whole career and be a back up. If they keep Vick Kolb will be gone.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

is he? same size?

T. Smith 6-0 217
M. Vick 6-0 215

oh wait...........

Probably a 2nd round pick dude. Don't forget that Kolb has a decent sized extension on his contract and if they pay Vick they're not going to want all that money invested in the QB position, as well as him not wanting to stick around for his whole career and be a back up. If they keep Vick Kolb will be gone.

Yea that sounds about right to me. If Reid feels as if Kolb is a starter then he isn't gonna take a crappy draft pick in return. Like they did with McNabb a high 2nd round pick.
  • dj43

is he? same size?

T. Smith 6-0 217
M. Vick 6-0 215

oh wait...........

I agree it would take at least a 2nd.

I disagree over Philly wanting to dump salary money at the QB slot. As I said earlier, if the Eagles had not had Kolb while Vick was injured, they would have lost the season. Teams need two QBs that are capable of winning games.

All this points to how important it is that Troy turn out to be a right-handed Steve Young. If they have to invest a 2nd in another QB, it means another high priority needs goes unfilled.

HIGH PRIORITY
----------------------
PASS RUSHER
CB
WR WITH SPEED
[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:24 PM ]
Someone suggesed earlier that Troy was initially scheduled to be the Ravens starting QB in '08, but illness forced the Ravens start the regular season with their rookie Flacco. Obviously he played well enough to hang onto the job.

I reviewed ESPN's stats on the '08 preseason and discovered that Troy earned a rating of 43.5 during preseason, while Flacco's was 69.3. This suggests that it was poor performance that benched Troy.

is he? same size?

T. Smith 6-0 217
M. Vick 6-0 215

oh wait...........

I disagree over Philly wanting to dump salary money at the QB slot. As I said earlier, if the Eagles had not had Kolb while Vick was injured, they would have lost the season. Teams need to QBs that are capable of winning games.

All this points to how important it is that Troy turn out to be a right-handed Steve Young. If they have to invest a 2nd in another QB, it means another high priority needs goes unfilled.

HIGH PRIORITY
----------------------
PASS RUSHER
CB
WR WITH SPEED

Based on everything I've seen this season I would say our highest priority has to be QB and I would be more than happy to send Philly a second for Kolb. Whether or not Philly would part ways with him is total speculation, but most teams aren't going to keep two starting quality QBs on the roster for various reasons (trade value, contraversy, locker room issues, money)
We need a QB and new head coach this off season. I could live with everything else.
  • dj43

is he? same size?

T. Smith 6-0 217
M. Vick 6-0 215

oh wait...........

I disagree over Philly wanting to dump salary money at the QB slot. As I said earlier, if the Eagles had not had Kolb while Vick was injured, they would have lost the season. Teams need to QBs that are capable of winning games.

HIGH PRIORITY
----------------------
PASS RUSHER
CB
WR WITH SPEED

Based on everything I've seen this season I would say our highest priority has to be QB and I would be more than happy to send Philly a second for Kolb. Whether or not Philly would part ways with him is total speculation, but most teams aren't going to keep two starting quality QBs on the roster for various reasons (trade value, contraversy, locker room issues, money)
IF Troy cannot convince the 49ers that he can be the starter, THEN it forces them to take a QB with the top pick. We should all hope that he CAN turn out to be the guy because that changes the draft a ton.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
We need a QB and new head coach this off season. I could live with everything else.

Luck and Harbaugh!!!!
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Luck and Harbaugh!!!!

indeed
Share 49ersWebzone