LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Why Smith Fell Through the Cracks?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Antix:
I know I'm right.

I love it when people say this. Makes me giggle.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Troy has talent but lacks "NFL Size" so what, so does drew Brees and jeff Garcia! So I guess he fell through the cracks because he is very tiny, but I hope he's more like and Umpa-Lumpa, small be able to get the job done!

Wouldn't we need a whole tribe of Troy Smith's then, though?

No way he pulls off those dance moves by himself.

YES! a whole tribe of Umpa's!

No seriously Troy is VERY VERY small, tiny in fact, That is why he fall through cracks!
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
isn't Smith the same size as Brees, who got selected at the top of the 2nd round if I remember right? I'm waiting for someone to say "because he's Black".
Originally posted by Shaj:
isn't Smith the same size as Brees, who got selected at the top of the 2nd round if I remember right? I'm waiting for someone to say "because he's Black".

They are. Both are 6' tall. Michael Vick is 6' also.
[ Edited by TheChozen on Nov 8, 2010 at 7:03 AM ]
Troy Smith is very small. He has small hands, small feet, a small head, small mind and comes to the park every day on a little "Yellow Brick Road".

Well that did make him harder to see! (sorry that felt wrong) it's mainly because he is tiny!
Troy Smith's fight song
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Nov 8, 2010 at 7:29 AM ]

When I asked a coworker, who is big on NCAA football, he suggested Troy dropped because the NFL has no respect for black QBs, then follows up and says "but I am probably just saying that because I am black..."
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Well that did make him harder to see! (sorry that felt wrong) it's mainly because he is tiny!
Troy Smith's fight song

OMFG HAHAHA YOU BEAT ME TO IT!!!

well, trying to look at some draft profiles

He had a really bad BCS game that may have scared people away

Quote:
"Really, he's not that fast," Seamon said of Smith. "He gets run down by defensive ends. He's not real big. He kind of stares down his targets. You didn't see those breathtaking, thread-the-needle throws [against Florida] that you'd hope to see from a top-of-the-draft quarterback."

Look at what Mayock said
Quote:
Sorry, Buckeye fans, but NFL draft analyst Mike Mayock says Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith is two or three years away from making it as an NFL quarterback. Mayock, who works for NFL Network, says Smith's biggest problem is being only six feet tall.

"I really like what I've seen on him on tape," Mayock said Saturday at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. "Having said that, I didn't get too carried away when he was Superman and I didn't get too disappointed when he had a bad (BCS championship) Bowl game, because I think I know what he is on tape.

"He makes a large majority of his plays outside the tackle box. He struggles to find vision within the pocket. There is short list of six-foot quarterbacks out there. You have to be real good. I think he's probably a third round pick. I think two or three years from now, he's so athletic, smart and tough that he'll have an opportunity to play."

The Buckeyes had a record of 25-3 with Smith at quarterback
Originally posted by SJniner7:

When I asked a coworker, who is big on NCAA football, he suggested Troy dropped because the NFL has no respect for black QBs, then follows up and says "but I am probably just saying that because I am black..."

he was..You can't be 6 ft tall, score a 17 on your wonderlic, and stare down your primary receivers and expect to go in the first three rounds, black or white or whatever.

.....unless of course, you run a 4.2 40 (Vick).
[ Edited by binary2nd on Nov 8, 2010 at 7:44 AM ]

Its irrelevant where he was drafted. He was drafted by BALT in '07 and failed to impress. So they drafted Flacco. He remained on the team during '08 and '09. He so failed to impress that they signed Bulger to be their backup. Smith so failed to impress during this preseason that they cut him rather than keep him as their #3.

Imagine the number of passes the coaches watched him throw in 4 years. He started two regular season games and played in 12 preseason games. Don't you think they undrstood what he was all about?

Oh well. I guess there is a reason that the gambling industry prospers - there are people like you.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Its irrelevant where he was drafted. He was drafted by BALT in '07 and failed to impress. So they drafted Flacco. He remained on the team during '08 and '09. He so failed to impress that they signed Bulger to be their backup. Smith so failed to impress during this preseason that they cut him rather than keep him as their #3.

Imagine the number of passes the coaches watched him throw in 4 years. He started two regular season games and played in 12 preseason games. Don't you think they undrstood what he was all about?

Oh well. I guess there is a reason that the gambling industry prospers - there are people like you.

He impressed enough in Baltimore to get the nod to start the '08 season over Flacco. If he didn't get sick, he would have began the season the starter there.

Further, one of the reasons he was released by Baltimore was because he was making noise about not being content as a back-up and wanting a shot somewhere else where there is the possibility of being the starter (e.g., SF).
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Nov 8, 2010 at 7:55 AM ]
Originally posted by excelsior:

No one is saying he's a long-term solution. We have more talent than most of the remaining teams on the schedule, all he has to do is manage the game and people are thinking we could still be in it. If Troy is are true starter next year, we're probably really, really screwed.
Originally posted by Antix:
God...this is JTO all over again...

Really? He won one game. Can't we wait and see before we anoint him as our savior?
I'm certainly excited to see how he comes out against the rams. I just hope this doesn't save Singletary's job.
Share 49ersWebzone