LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Why Smith Fell Through the Cracks?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
meekness
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I'm certainly excited to see how he comes out against the rams. I just hope this doesn't save Singletary's job.

the only thing that saves Sings job is a super bowl run, Dude is a goner.

I agree with you and your excitement towards Troy Smith, really interested in seeing how he performs now that he is getting all the reps
Originally posted by valrod33:
I'm certainly excited to see how he comes out against the rams. I just hope this doesn't save Singletary's job.

I agree with you and your excitement towards Troy Smith, really interested in seeing how he performs now that he is getting all the reps

i agree to your agreement of my post and look forward to seeing how you reply to this.
  • dj43

The 49ers would have to run the table to save Sing's job.

i agree to your agreement of my post and look forward to seeing how you reply to this.
agreed
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Look at what Mayock said
Quote:
Sorry, Buckeye fans, but NFL draft analyst Mike Mayock says Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith is two or three years away from making it as an NFL quarterback. Mayock, who works for NFL Network, says Smith's biggest problem is being only six feet tall.

"I really like what I've seen on him on tape," Mayock said Saturday at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. "Having said that, I didn't get too carried away when he was Superman and I didn't get too disappointed when he had a bad (BCS championship) Bowl game, because I think I know what he is on tape.

"He makes a large majority of his plays outside the tackle box. He struggles to find vision within the pocket. There is short list of six-foot quarterbacks out there. You have to be real good. I think he's probably a third round pick. I think two or three years from now, he's so athletic, smart and tough that he'll have an opportunity to play."

The Buckeyes had a record of 25-3 with Smith at quarterback

Championship!
[ Edited by Wodwo on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:21 AM ]

Certainly interested as well, as he continues to grow in the play book.. But what i am most interested in seeing, is........... How does he respond when more and more tape becomes available for other teams and they really get a better sense of how to game plan for him, ya know....
Man I just dont know. I remember when JTO got the starting job everyone found all these quotes about how JTO was this diamond in the rough. Someone even posed a quote saying JTO was one of the best pure passers in the NFL. No joke. And JTO did have a couple good games (just like Troy Smith will)...but in the end...I dont know.

Too traumatized to get excited about ANY QB on this team.
I don't think he'll be the next Kurt Warner, but still excited. If anything, to furthermore prove what a bum A.Smith really is. Still hope we draft a QB high or bring in a proven vet.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Eduardo75:

Certainly interested as well, as he continues to grow in the play book.. But what i am most interested in seeing, is........... How does he respond when more and more tape becomes available for other teams and they really get a better sense of how to game plan for him, ya know....
The big test will be when he plays against teams that can bring pressure from the outside and keep him in the pocket. Given the inconsistency of Staley and Davis, that could create problems for a 6' 0" guy trying to look over a bunch of 6' 5+" guys in front of him.

The current OL has been very ineffective in creating throwing lanes for the QB. If Troy is contained to the pocket, and the OL cannot keeps the hands of opposing DL down, it could be a long day. Let's hope Solari and Brown do some mighty coaching up over this break.

he'll just run it up the middle for 100+ yards!
I would love for Troy to do well, but the qb we need is not on this roster.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

The big test will be when he plays against teams that can bring pressure from the outside and keep him in the pocket. Given the inconsistency of Staley and Davis, that could create problems for a 6' 0" guy trying to look over a bunch of 6' 5+" guys in front of him.

The current OL has been very ineffective in creating throwing lanes for the QB. If Troy is contained to the pocket, and the OL cannot keeps the hands of opposing DL down, it could be a long day. Let's hope Solari and Brown do some mighty coaching up over this break.

I have this same concern.

We may get to see this question answered on Sunday. Rams defense has been good rushing on the edge. Chris Long and James Hall have combined for 11 sacks so far. Not amazing, but the pass rush looked legit from what I've seen.
gameplan all you want. T.Smith seems to be the kind of QB that makes things happen when s**t breaks down.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Kind of disappointed in Troy for heading back to Ohio during the bye week. You would think a guy who has not had many opportunities to show is skills would be working his ass off trying to get better.
Share 49ersWebzone