LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Why Smith Fell Through the Cracks?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Lots of guy fall between the cracks. The science of picking players is terribly flawed, so they go with size, weight, speed, strength, and reputation of school.

And they tend to go with the herd, drafting the players who everyone knows rather than some unknown from some small school. If the well-known player fails, everyone will be surprised and nobody will get in trouble, but if the unknown player fails, there will be a lot of blame and maybe firings.
I dunno man.

It's just one game and a lucky duck catch by Walker between two ex pro bowlers.

The 3rd and Draws on must needed first downs are another chink in this offenses' armor.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
As has been stated he's just short. He has a pretty decent arm. And he has some athleticism.

Having said all that he is also not really that good. He's overrated on the WZ where people are QB desperate. He's not the long term answer. He just beat a horrific team in 1 game. Let it play out before you get over hyped. He will mess up. Trust me.

I can understand why people are hesitant to say the qb issues are solved, but to say he's no good is going too far the other way. He's in the league for a reason, and given an opportunity who knows.
He ran a really bad 40 time at the combine -- and he was expendable in Baltimore because of Flacco -- before he got the flu, he was schedule to start week 1 in 2008.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
all I know is this....i'm glad we have him

• fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by Antix:
God...this is JTO all over again...

lol

somebody is gonna eat crow soon.....
I think Troy is a good backup to have around but I really don't have faith in him to be what most of this board is trying to make him. The fact that we won that last game was pure luck combined with Frank Gore. I mean if he trys that falling down 40 feet in the air puntish throw that Walker caught 10 times...it would get picked 9 times. The only time in the game when it would even be a throw someone should consider taking is if it's the last play and you're down. It was into 4 man coverage. The only reason it didn't get picked off I'm convinced was that all of the defenders thought one of the other ones was going to get it. Kind of like when a CF, LF, and SS let a pop fly drop between them when any of them could have got to it.
Originally posted by fly15:

lol

How great would it be to have a Cinderella story on this team right now? I'd love to see T. Smith tear it up.

i dont remember JTO doing that during a regular season game
I'm a die hard Michigan fan and Troy Smith tore us up pretty good. He's got moxie about him. Not quite sure how he'll be in the NFL after just ONE game and I'm not going to make any predictions or compare him. Why can't we just be patient and wait and see??

Originally posted by susweel:
Prediction.

Troy will play decent but it still wont be enough to save Sing.

agreed
You know what's amazing to me? T.Smith has only been in the league 3 years and is an unknown commodity as he has not had much opportunity. A.Smith has been in the league 6 years, started multiple seasons and is a pretty well-known commodity. Yet, some people on this board are quick to say T.Smith is a career backup, but A.Smith should still be given the rest of the season to prove he is starter material. That is just beyond bizarre. I'm positive that if A.Smith was chosen in any other round than the top of the first, he would be buried in the middle or bottom of the depth chart of some losing team.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Nov 7, 2010 at 5:29 PM ]
You know what's amazing to me? T.Smith has only been in the league 3 years and is an unknown commodity as he has not had much opportunity. A.Smith has been in the league 6 years, started multiple seasons and is a pretty well-known commodity. Yet, some people on this board are quick to say T.Smith is a career backup, but A.Smith should still be given the rest of the season to prove he is starter material. That is just beyond bizarre. I'm positive that if A.Smith was chosen in any other round than the top of the first, he would be buried in the middle or bottom of the depth chart of some losing team.

I agree....wait.. you're saying Alex Smith should be given another chance right?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Really? Are you sure people are saying this?

Troy Smith deserves a shot. If he sucks, put Alex back in 'cause he knows the playbook and his name isn't Carr. Chief tolded me dat we still gotta chance in the division.

WANT TO WIN!
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fly15:

lol

And I'll eat it happily. I want this team to succeed bottom line..that is more imprtant than me being right.

but, with that said, I know I'm right.
Share 49ersWebzone