There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why Smith Fell Through the Cracks?

  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Troy has talent but lacks "NFL Size" so what, so does drew Brees and jeff Garcia! So I guess he fell through the cracks because he is very tiny, but I hope he's more like and Umpa-Lumpa, small be able to get the job done!

Wouldn't we need a whole tribe of Troy Smith's then, though?

No way he pulls off those dance moves by himself.
As has been stated he's just short. He has a pretty decent arm. And he has some athleticism.

Having said all that he is also not really that good. He's overrated on the WZ where people are QB desperate. He's not the long term answer. He just beat a horrific team in 1 game. Let it play out before you get over hyped. He will mess up. Trust me.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
As has been stated he's just short. He has a pretty decent arm. And he has some athleticism.

Having said all that he is also not really that good. He's overrated on the WZ where people are QB desperate. He's not the long term answer. He just beat a horrific team in 1 game. Let it play out before you get over hyped. He will mess up. Trust me.

Definitely agree. If Balt cut him after a few years, I'm sure he was having trouble reading defenses, that's usually the case with really athletic, physically gifted QBs. Troy had a lot of support in the locker room too in Balt., he just stopped improving after year 1.
Originally posted by Antix:
God...this is JTO all over again...

Less int's then jto. ha More Luck hopefully he's like warren moon was not good enough to play.
Hey I am optimistic enough to want to find out what the kid might have but I do realize that like many 49ER fans I have been QB deprived. Let the job interview continue.

GO NINER'S
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
Hey I am optimistic enough to want to find out what the kid might have but I do realize that like many 49ER fans I have been QB deprived. Let the job interview continue.

GO NINER'S

+1
Originally posted by Antix:
God...this is JTO all over again...

agreed
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Drew Brees: Height: 6-0 Weight: 209

Troy Smith: Height: 6' 0" , Weight: 217 lbs

If he can play, his height shouldn't be an impediment to winning.

If you fans dont like his height, we can get 6'3" Alex Smith back in there...dont kill me, just sayin at this point, who really cares about Troy's height, unless he is 5'6" or something. He probably has bigger hands than Alex.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by Antix:
God...this is JTO all over again...

agreed

No, this time its all we have to look forward to.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by susweel:
Prediction.

Troy will play decent but it still wont be enough to save Sing.

I hope to god this is true. If Troy does great and saves Sings job... it's like... I can't go through this AGAIN.


Singletary must be fired at the end of the season.

Plus, even if Troy Smith does good, who's to say he still starts with A. Smith comes back? By my count, Singletary goes with his original guys NO MATTER WHAT. Change is bad for mean ole 85 Singletary.

So you would rather have the team go through another crappy season, not make the playoffs, fire the coach and hope they get the guy you want, pay through the nose for a high draft pick which is a crap shoot, and hope things play out perfectly than the people we currently have figure it out and right the ship.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by TheCatch:


If you fans dont like his height, we can get 6'3" Alex Smith back in there...dont kill me, just sayin at this point, who really cares about Troy's height, unless he is 5'6" or something. He probably has bigger hands than Alex.

1. He's 6' tall. Senior Bowl weigh-in. /silly talk

2. The above link does prove that Troy has bigger hands than Alex Smith. Alex has 9 3/4 inch hands. Troy Smith's are 10 1/4 inches.

3. I bet that's not all the parts of Troy that are bigger than Alex. /racism
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by LB49ers:


So you would rather have the team go through another crappy season, not make the playoffs, fire the coach and hope they get the guy you want, pay through the nose for a high draft pick which is a crap shoot, and hope things play out perfectly than the people we currently have figure it out and right the ship.

It seems that this is the consensus. I'm certainly not looking forward to it. Can't really see another option, though.

Plus, I'm so f**king gun shy about drafting a QB in the first round now... every time I hear a loud noise I soil my pants.
Originally posted by LB49ers:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by susweel:
Prediction.

Troy will play decent but it still wont be enough to save Sing.

I hope to god this is true. If Troy does great and saves Sings job... it's like... I can't go through this AGAIN.


Singletary must be fired at the end of the season.

Plus, even if Troy Smith does good, who's to say he still starts with A. Smith comes back? By my count, Singletary goes with his original guys NO MATTER WHAT. Change is bad for mean ole 85 Singletary.

So you would rather have the team go through another crappy season, not make the playoffs, fire the coach and hope they get the guy you want, pay through the nose for a high draft pick which is a crap shoot, and hope things play out perfectly than the people we currently have figure it out and right the ship.

Ideally, we'd make the playoffs and Sing would still get canned. That's the best way for this team to move to the next level. I don't know if Jed has that kind of good sense though.
Originally posted by mayo49:
He reminds me of a shorter Donavon McNabb. Obviously, fell through because of his height.

Height and his performance in the national title game. If he'd done well in the national championship, he would have went 2nd or 3rd.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
As has been stated he's just short. He has a pretty decent arm. And he has some athleticism.

Having said all that he is also not really that good. He's overrated on the WZ where people are QB desperate. He's not the long term answer. He just beat a horrific team in 1 game. Let it play out before you get over hyped. He will mess up. Trust me.