LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Lacking enthusiam about Troy Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by dman:
Originally posted by valrod33:
IT WAS ONE GAME
Lets see how far the Troy Smith Trolley could roll before the wheels come off.

The Rams and Bucs games will either take the Trolley off its tracks or speed it up more.
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ It was 1 game.
~ Against a horrific team.
~ Against a team with a lot of injuries.
~ His one really big play was a wing and and a prayer hail marry. It was a floater, it was late and into double coverage. It should be picked all day. But somehow he was lucky as hell. And it fell through to Delanie. That same pass will be picked 9 out of 10 games.

If Alex played that game and lost (which I'm sure he would have, given he couldn't even beat the Panthers), you would have said:

~ It was a team loss
~ Our D could't stop Lloyd, which was why we lost
~ Nedney wasn't accurate
~ Too many penalties that can't all be put on Alex
~ Our O-line didn't give him enough time
~ VD was out of the game
~ Morgan is overrated
~ Sing sucks
~ It was in London and the team was tired
~ Smith's coordinator just got changed and has no balls and is Sing's puppet
~ Gore kept getting inexplicably pulled for Dixon and Westbrook
~ We had a weak gameplan
~ Our WR's have alligator arms, run wrong routes, and would be backups on other teams
~ etc. (many other Alexcuses)
I know you don't like to give Alex blame when he deserves it, but at least give Troy credit when he does.

This is the kind of post you get when you old in your poop for too long.

This is exactly what has been happening to us in our losses including turnovers. We played an ultra conservative game which almost cost us the game but the QB who was put in the worst position during the game to be called upon to do something without deviating too far from the offense. Basically, he was going up against every excuse that is normally made for Alex but he played well and won.

I still believe Alex botches the Crabtree TD by throwing it 45 yards down field probably as scripted and it wouldnhave been WRs fault for slowing down after being wide open.

Yes fellas Troy did it without Vernon and the precious Seam route and with these WRs who would be second WRs on any other team at best and behind a crap OL and without the spread.

Why did we win: no plays left on the field. We made them.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
~ It was 1 game.
~ Against a horrific team.
~ Against a team with a lot of injuries.
~ His one really big play was a wing and and a prayer hail marry. It was a floater, it was late and into double coverage. It should be picked all day. But somehow he was lucky as hell. And it fell through to Delanie. That same pass will be picked 9 out of 10 games.

If Alex played that game and lost (which I'm sure he would have, given he couldn't even beat the Panthers), you would have said:

~ It was a team loss
~ Our D could't stop Lloyd, which was why we lost
~ Nedney wasn't accurate
~ Too many penalties that can't all be put on Alex
~ Our O-line didn't give him enough time
~ VD was out of the game
~ Morgan is overrated
~ Sing sucks
~ It was in London and the team was tired
~ Smith's coordinator just got changed and has no balls and is Sing's puppet
~ Gore kept getting inexplicably pulled for Dixon and Westbrook
~ We had a weak gameplan
~ Our WR's have alligator arms, run wrong routes, and would be backups on other teams
~ etc. (many other Alexcuses)
I know you don't like to give Alex blame when he deserves it, but at least give Troy credit when he does.

This is the kind of post you get when you old in your poop for too long.

This is exactly what has been happening to us in our losses including turnovers. We played an ultra conservative game which almost cost us the game but the QB who was put in the worst position during the game to be called upon to do something without deviating too far from the offense. Basically, he was going up against every excuse that is normally made for Alex but he played well and won.

I still believe Alex botches the Crabtree TD by throwing it 45 yards down field probably as scripted and it wouldnhave been WRs fault for slowing down after being wide open.

Yes fellas Troy did it without Vernon and the precious Seam route and with these WRs who would be second WRs on any other team at best and behind a crap OL and without the spread.

Why did we win: no plays left on the field. We made them.

exactly, no one open down field, troy buys some time to make a play, Alex, panics, rolls right and throws its out of bounce down the sideline..... notice a difference?
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Because this is the same "hope" that people had about Shaun Hill, Pickett, JTO, and yes even the other Smith. Same "hopeful" feeling the last few off seasons.

It was all false hope and over rated hype. Why will Troy Smith be any different? Honestly. I think had Alex not been injured we would have beat Carolina, Denver and went into the bye 3-5. But in the end it doesn't really matter. He's still not that good and at the end of the day...we still need a new QB. Same with Troy Smith...we handed the ball off 35+ times and yes he made plays when he needed to (like most back ups do) ...but it doesn't change the fact that we have a serious need at GM, head coach, QB, and a litany of other areas.

So yeah..it's hard to get "pumped" up about the this win. I mean it's nice and it's a cool story in a "Rudy" kinda way. I'm rooting for Troy the same way I'd root for any 3rd stringer who never gets a chance and works hard. But beyond that...it's hard to get excited about this team.

But hey...I could be wrong and Troy Smith could be our savior and the next Favre-Flutie-hero type player. That'd be awesome for sure.

Go 49ers.

You shouldn't include Shaun Hill with the rest of those names. He's the best QB we've had since Garcia and would undoubtedly have us at least 4-4.
Everyone here wanted Smith and they got him, like Nolan, they'll do and say anything to hang onto him.
Originally posted by valrod33:
IT WAS ONE GAME

MAYBE SO. BUT WE ONLY WON ONE OTHER GAME ALL SEASON.
Alex Smith 1-6...Troy Smith 1-0...enough said!
I'm pumped about Troy. All excuses aside, he made some plays out of nothing, he didnt have long to prepare, he didn't turn the ball over and most importantly won the game. Turning the ball over and losing games has been a common trend in Alex Smiths career, especially this year. Troy had the exact same Oline as Alex had all year, yet still makes plays under pressure.

Troy Smith > Alex Smith, and apparently 70% of zoners agree according to the poll.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
I'm pumped about Troy. All excuses aside, he made some plays out of nothing, he didnt have long to prepare, he didn't turn the ball over and most importantly won the game. Turning the ball over and losing games has been a common trend in Alex Smiths career, especially this year. Troy had the exact same Oline as Alex had all year, yet still makes plays under pressure.

Troy Smith > Alex Smith, and apparently 70% of zoners agree according to the poll.

If that pass got picked like it should have you guys would be giving TroyEXCUSES by now. And it will get picked in the coming weeks if the keeps floating hail marry's like that. One win against a horrific team doesn't prove anything.

what's funny to me about this situation is this....T. Smith had one shot to prove his worth and now that he did...there is still non-believers still to this day. T. Smith had to SHINE in order to prove he could handle this team/scheme/EXCUSES that would've followed an A. Smith lose.

Again ONE SHOT to prove and he did it. Whether that can be repeated is still to be seen.
Originally posted by digital9er:
what's funny to me about this situation is this....T. Smith had one shot to prove his worth and now that he did...there is still non-believers still to this day. T. Smith had to SHINE in order to prove he could handle this team/scheme/EXCUSES that would've followed an A. Smith lose.

Again ONE SHOT to prove and he did it. Whether that can be repeated is still to be seen.

At least repeat it a few times before you get hyped. And this is the soft part of the schedule. So he arrived in time to succeed. The tough teams and on the road tough teams was the beginning of the schedule. So it's difficult to get a real read on him anyway.
Really don't see what the beef is with that bomb to dwalk. He threw with confidence I like that, its a risk/ reward play. He gave us an opportunity to put points on the board, it was acuare so it went over the first defender and it was in good position for walker to go up and make a play something any other qbs on the roster can't or refuses to do. And those other qbs check down so they wouldn't have even taken the shot.

Picked or not I liked it. Qbs don't win without a swagger.. point an case...cough cough
Originally posted by digital9er:

At least repeat it a few times before you get hyped. And this is the soft part of the schedule. So he arrived in time to succeed. The tough teams and on the road tough teams was the beginning of the schedule. So it's difficult to get a real read on him anyway.

Let me try and predict what you would say if we lost.

1. travel time: London is far away and the time to get prepared is excusible.
2. Kyle Orton is one of the leagues top passers right now.
3. SING SUCKS
4. OC SUCKS
5. OLINE SUCKS
6. We have crappy receivers
7. Alex needs more time
8. (insert one more excuse)
9. Season is done and SING is giving up on this team so who cares lets fire everyone except A. Smith...lets sign him up for 5 more years because he didn't get a real shot.
10. as you sooooo pointed out...."soft part of the schedule"

Please tell me....did you honestly believe that A. Smith was going to blow it up in Carolina??? I gave him 5 seasons and 6 games AND he still looks the same from day one.

oh and ur boy Locker sucked this weekend against a crappy defense. how many yards did he throw??? LOL

Luck>Locker
[ Edited by digital9er on Nov 2, 2010 at 2:08 AM ]
  • Tombo
  • Veteran
Well, I joined the Alex Smith bandwagon, beamed up to the Shaun Hill starship, even lined up with the O'Sullivan..........orbit? Now I've hopped on board the Troy Smith trolley. Let's just hope it doesn't crash and burn!
Share 49ersWebzone