There are 171 users in the forums

Lacking enthusiam about Troy Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by alpha81:
Alex Smith 1-6...Troy Smith 1-0...enough said!

Haha, I like it.
Troy Smith should not be a factor on this team next year. None of these QBs should. If you're excited about Troy, you can always go to .com, where there numerous groupies you can have fun with.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by digital9er:
what's funny to me about this situation is this....T. Smith had one shot to prove his worth and now that he did...there is still non-believers still to this day. T. Smith had to SHINE in order to prove he could handle this team/scheme/EXCUSES that would've followed an A. Smith lose.

Again ONE SHOT to prove and he did it. Whether that can be repeated is still to be seen.

At least repeat it a few times before you get hyped. And this is the soft part of the schedule. So he arrived in time to succeed. The tough teams and on the road tough teams was the beginning of the schedule. So it's difficult to get a real read on him anyway.

You are already setting up the excuses for Troy doing well and why Alex failed miserably in the games he played. I agree that we need to see how he performs week after week but even you have to admit he played well with the same players that Alex played with and limited snaps prior to the game. Troy will throw interceptions as all QBs do. The question is will he throw less than 2 per game like his predecessor did.

LB
Originally posted by BobS:
What gives? In general it doesn't seem the zone is as pumped up about Troy Smith as I am. Do people think he is just a flash in the pan and will regress when defensive coordinators get more film on him? I actually think some people are bummed because he should dump Alex Smith down to second string. I know it is only one game, and many back ups only shine in back up roles, and don't make good starters.
What is it, I thought this place would be rocking after Sunday's game. I know the season is shot, but maybe Troy gives us something to look forward to for the rest of the season.

Massive overreaction in my opinion.
Originally posted by BobS:
What gives? In general it doesn't seem the zone is as pumped up about Troy Smith as I am. Do people think he is just a flash in the pan and will regress when defensive coordinators get more film on him? I actually think some people are bummed because he should dump Alex Smith down to second string. I know it is only one game, and many back ups only shine in back up roles, and don't make good starters.
What is it, I thought this place would be rocking after Sunday's game. I know the season is shot, but maybe Troy gives us something to look forward to for the rest of the season.

He played great in ONE game. We are a 2-6 team with many issues. Although QB play played a role it was not only the QB that we need to get fixed. I am sure if Troy Smith can resurrect this season for us fans there will be a celebration on the zone on his behalf. Let's be excited but a bit tempered.
I like the way Smith stepped up in the pocket and delivered a strike
I love hearing the excuses that the Broncos have a banged up team. Who doesn't? We freakin lost to the 2nd and 3rd string Eagles. And it wasn't even close until they played prevent defense.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
I like the way Smith stepped up in the pocket and delivered a strike

exactly instead of running outside the pocket right away only to throw it away.
This team needs to believe in something. That means the fans too. I don't care what the answer is, Troy Smith, Alex Smith, Nate Davis, Andrew Luck, just let this team have a QB that will put us back on top. Top of the world Ma.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Troy Smith is a Jedi.

How can you not be excited?

Black drew brees?

lay off the crack pipe..what in his performance reminded you of Drew Brees?

Originally posted by verb1der:
Troy has the arm, and the "swag" we have not seen in a long long time.

Who knows what he will bring us, but I am one of the enthusiastic ones!
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ It was 1 game.
~ Against a horrific team.
~ Against a team with a lot of injuries.
~ His one really big play was a wing and and a prayer hail marry. It was a floater, it was late and into double coverage. It should be picked all day. But somehow he was lucky as hell. And it fell through to Delanie. That same pass will be picked 9 out of 10 games.

If Alex played that game and lost (which I'm sure he would have, given he couldn't even beat the Panthers), you would have said:

~ It was a team loss
~ Our D could't stop Lloyd, which was why we lost
~ Nedney wasn't accurate
~ Too many penalties that can't all be put on Alex
~ Our O-line didn't give him enough time
~ VD was out of the game
~ Morgan is overrated
~ Sing sucks
~ It was in London and the team was tired
~ Smith's coordinator just got changed and has no balls and is Sing's puppet
~ Gore kept getting inexplicably pulled for Dixon and Westbrook
~ We had a weak gameplan
~ Our WR's have alligator arms, run wrong routes, and would be backups on other teams
~ etc. (many other Alexcuses)
I know you don't like to give Alex blame when he deserves it, but at least give Troy credit when he does.

This is the kind of post you get when you old in your poop for too long.

This is exactly what has been happening to us in our losses including turnovers. We played an ultra conservative game which almost cost us the game but the QB who was put in the worst position during the game to be called upon to do something without deviating too far from the offense. Basically, he was going up against every excuse that is normally made for Alex but he played well and won.

I still believe Alex botches the Crabtree TD by throwing it 45 yards down field probably as scripted and it wouldnhave been WRs fault for slowing down after being wide open.

Yes fellas Troy did it without Vernon and the precious Seam route and with these WRs who would be second WRs on any other team at best and behind a crap OL and without the spread.

Why did we win: no plays left on the field. We made them.

exactly, no one open down field, troy buys some time to make a play, Alex, panics, rolls right and throws its out of bounce down the sideline..... notice a difference?

I did, and most of all, the team did.
I'm enthusiastic. I'm enthusiastic that he has a Bye week to get the offense down more. I'm enthusiastic that we have the Rams out of the Bye week and the Bucs after that. Even with a limited play book if he can make a few things happen he can be 3-0 heading into Arizona. Then he'll need to show what he's made of.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Really don't see what the beef is with that bomb to dwalk. He threw with confidence I like that, its a risk/ reward play. He gave us an opportunity to put points on the board, it was acuare so it went over the first defender and it was in good position for walker to go up and make a play something any other qbs on the roster can't or refuses to do. And those other qbs check down so they wouldn't have even taken the shot.

Picked or not I liked it. Qbs don't win without a swagger.. point an case...cough cough

I agree. Arm in arm with losing, conservatism has been the hallmark of our franchise for the past decade, so it was refreshing to see a Niners QB decisively roll the bones on a high risk/high reward play. We've occassionally seen our QB's throw that ball out of desperation, but as you correctly point out, that ball was not launched with a deficiency of confidence. Far from it.

As to the lack of enthusiasm, I think it's worth expanding upon something that JoeCool touched upon earlier. Troy Smith is going to be yoked to our conservative offensive philosphy. This means that he'll be forced to play the bulk of the game with one arm tied behind his back before being forced to pull a rabbit out of his hat in the 4th quarter. The key point is this: our conservative philosphy ensures that Troy will always be playing into a defence that is fully primed for the series of plays that he is about to call. It's hard to win that way and he's simply the latest in a string of promising QBs that have been destroyed by our obstinate conservatism.

In short, why the lack of enthusiasm? It's hard to get too excited about the latest piece of grist for our conservative mill. We've all been here before and you can't help but think the poor fella would be better served by a cigarette and a blindfold than our lousy playbook.
Well i for one cant wait to see what T. Smith can do, while at the same time not drinking the coolaid just yet.

We already see in 5 pages, that we will go back and forth with the A. Smith vs. T.Smith debate.

Winning does a funny thing to you, and we got a win, so im definitely happy. But there's nothing wrong with being happy for a win, but still a little reserved until you see more.

This is why i think he should start our next game after the bye, just to see if it was a fluke or is this guy for real. I'll support whomever is behind center, because most of us are niner fans first.

But some of ya'll cant be mad if people are reserved. I mean like i said in another thread, those that are jumping all on Troy are some of the same folks on the I Want Carr Caravan, and we see what happened with that.

Troy played well enough to start the next game in my opinion, but to say that he just blew us all away is a little pre-mature. That hail mary not being caught we lose.

Also one thing i noticed someone said, it's funny how they said if Smith threw that same long ball to Ginn, it would be tipped and INT"d. And i remember after that pass, they said well it's not like Ginn is an Andre JOhnson, so we cant be mad if Ginn cant get the ball. But Delanie was able to beat his two and brought the ball down. So i mean we all are gonna see what we personally want to see, but to crown T. Smith and all that is a little too soon.

Lets just all support, just like we did, JTO, HIll, or whomever else is behind center regardless of any bias's.
Share 49ersWebzone