There are 148 users in the forums

Lacking enthusiam about Troy Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by excelsior:
I have been a fan of the 49ers for 35 years, and you are suggesting I quit rooting for the team - just because I noted some very real issues that will have to be dealt with if Troy proves to be the real deal. For gosh sakes, he may want to go play for Cleveland.

if you've been a fan for 35 years why stop now? you're post indicates your happier with the number 1 pick than you would be with the playoffs when we're two games out of first. who cares about t. smith's contract status worry about that in the offseason. let's focus on the bucs.
I have been a fan of the 49ers for 35 years, and you are suggesting I quit rooting for the team - just because I noted some very real issues that will have to be dealt with if Troy proves to be the real deal. For gosh sakes, he may want to go play for Cleveland.

If Troy was offered the Starting QB job, or atleast be in competition for it, he wouldn't leave us. Troy wants a job, that's why he came here in the first place. He knows he can out play Alex and definitely Carr (who will be gone at season's end anyway). I like Troy, I hope he does stay with us. The guy can play the position. And all that talk about height, "hogwash" Vick, Brees, McCoy are all 6"0 and playing well and even Garcia when we had him was 6"1 under two hundred pounds and he played well. We need to stop TRYING to make Alex Smith into a QB he can't be.
There is an even worse downside to Troy continuing to play well.

(1) Troy's one-year contract ends at the end of this season. Not only will the 49ers want his future services, but other teams probably will as well. Would the 49ers be Troy's first choice? Is it scary to pay big bucks to someone who might be a 1/2 season flash in the pan?

(2) More wins means a lower first round pick. If you think Troy might be the long term answer, do you not draft a QB in the first round? Alex, seeing the handwriting on the wall, goes elsewhere (delighting many on this board). Now if the real Troy reveals himself next year to be not as good as you thought, where are we?

Eric Branch made the statement in today's article that Troy has thrown only 1 INT in 136 career pass attempts. He conveniently chose to ignore Troy's 12 preseason appearances over four years, where he had 86 completions on 156 attempts, 2 TDs and 6 INTs. It is not as if the guy has never thrown INTs. I know, preseason means nothing, except to those who have pointed out Alex's preseason stats.

You bring up some interesting points. If we want to keep him at what point do we begin contract negotiations? After a few more weeks of consistent play? After the season? I would say if he continues to play well another 2-3 weeks let's try to get him locked up, without breaking the bank of course. If he looks like the guy we want and need I would not want to wait til the end of the season to begin talks.

LB
Originally posted by leebert81:

(1) Troy's one-year contract ends at the end of this season. Not only will the 49ers want his future services, but other teams probably will as well. Would the 49ers be Troy's first choice? Is it scary to pay big bucks to someone who might be a 1/2 season flash in the pan?

(2) More wins means a lower first round pick. If you think Troy might be the long term answer, do you not draft a QB in the first round? Alex, seeing the handwriting on the wall, goes elsewhere (delighting many on this board). Now if the real Troy reveals himself next year to be not as good as you thought, where are we?

Eric Branch made the statement in today's article that Troy has thrown only 1 INT in 136 career pass attempts. He conveniently chose to ignore Troy's 12 preseason appearances over four years, where he had 86 completions on 156 attempts, 2 TDs and 6 INTs. It is not as if the guy has never thrown INTs. I know, preseason means nothing, except to those who have pointed out Alex's preseason stats.

You bring up some interesting points. If we want to keep him at what point do we begin contract negotiations? After a few more weeks of consistent play? After the season? I would say if he continues to play well another 2-3 weeks let's try to get him locked up, without breaking the bank of course. If he looks like the guy we want and need I would not want to wait til the end of the season to begin talks.

LB

If we get back from GB at 6-6, I imagine that would be a good time to start contract negotiations. If not for long term, then try and at least get him for 2-3 years!

The Niners were 4-0 in the preseason this season.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by greywolf447:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by BobS:
What gives? In general it doesn't seem the zone is as pumped up about Troy Smith as I am. Do people think he is just a flash in the pan and will regress when defensive coordinators get more film on him? I actually think some people are bummed because he should dump Alex Smith down to second string. I know it is only one game, and many back ups only shine in back up roles, and don't make good starters.
What is it, I thought this place would be rocking after Sunday's game. I know the season is shot, but maybe Troy gives us something to look forward to for the rest of the season.

REALLY!! Come on now. I am not going to get pumped over 1 game. Troy was a unknown commodity that Denver really know what to expect. Now there is game film and the Rams will be better prepared. The O was watered down for him. It is way to early to get excited.

Are you pumped over 2 games? In his first game he showed abilities we haven't seen since Garcia. Given the O-line sucks, even with all the high draft picks, he can succeed in spite of them, which Alex Smith could not.

Not yet!!! He has potential, I will admit, however it is just 2 games. Even the announcers said that the Rams had very little game tape and didn't know what to expect. They even went back to his game film from when he was at Ohio State. Johnson had a GREAT game plan and we took advantage. Lets not lose sight that we beat the Lambs!!!! IN OVERTIME no less. Our opponents the rest of the year are pretty vanilla. He gives me reason to get excited but I personally am going to temper that until next year. Even then I don't even know if he will stay around. He may feel that he needs to follow Sing and leave. Plus new coach may want to bring his own guy in. Will see. The only thing I have to get excited about is when Sing gets handed his walking papers!!!

Not only did Troy Smith make heroic plays at the end of the game, not only did he throw for more yards than we have seen around here for 6+ years (?), but he also probably had the highest quarterback rating that we have seen for 6+ years (?).

Oh ya, I almost forgot. He is 2-0.

The Rams are for real. They have a serious quarterback, with a good defense and will be a thorn in our sides for the next decade.

"Heroic plays" Really!?! I digress, he beat 2 below .500 teams. It is laughable how so many people on the zone are so eager to anoint a savior. Everyone is acting as if we found the next Joe Montana. When he beats a playoff caliber team with a top 5 D then I may concede. Why should I get excited over a player that may not even be on our team next year. I can say that he is the best QB that the niners have. That is not saying much! God willing this will be Sing's last year as our coach and we will hire a new HC that will want to bring in his own QB to groom. Plus Troy may want to cash in on a big pay day. We did only sign him to 1 yr contract. Another thing, I also wonder why the Ravens would cut him. They kept a aging Marc Bulger over Troy Smith. Ozzie Newsom is a great GM and talent evaluator. Why would he pick Marc over Troy? There had to be more than just height. I'm just saying!!!

The Rams at the time were at .500 and have a top 10 defense. So yes Troy did beat a pretty decent team with a good defense. Before the loss to the 49ers the Rams were the division leaders by the way...just a little FYI. Did you also know that if it were not for an illness Troy Smith would be the starting QB in Baltimore?? You might want to check up on your football before you come in here with your high and mighty attitude.

There D ranked 12th in the league. They have beaten Redskins, Seahawks, Chargers, and the Panthers. They lost to the Lions 44 -6!!! That is hardly a resume to brag about. This team took us into overtime. Maybe you should check out your football before you type!!! You and most of everyone on here are jumping on his band wagon after 2 wins. Against the Denver Broncos who are 3-6 with and the Rams who are 4-5. Broncos have the 25th ranked D and Rams have the 12th ranked. I do not consider either of them as a playoff contender. If you think they are playoff teams you need help!!! EVERYONE is blinded by the W's. While the W's are nice they come against weak opponents. Obviously he is not sick this year so why did they cut him?

The Rams defense is ranked 6th for points allowed with only allowing an average of 18.2 points per game. A defense can allow 9000 yards per game but if they are not allowing the other teams offense to put points on the board then they are a solid defense. The Rams defense is 12th in yards allowed. To blow off the Rams defense and say they are not a good defense is just ridiculous. So yes I do know what I am talking about before I type. Maybe you should look at other stats besides just yards allowed. Unless you don't realize that the team with the most yards isn't always the team that wins, it is the team with the most points.

Nobody is anointing Troy Smith the savior of the world, but rather excited about the new energized offensive spark he has brought to the team after a pathetic start to the season. Troy Smith is clearly a play maker and you can't see that. Your eyes are stuck on " OMGZ HE WUZ CUT FROM BALTIMORE, HE IS THE SUXORS!" He has some things he needs to improve upon, but right now he is the best chance the 49ers have at winning any games right now.

To you statement about "everyone being blinded by the W's" Is that not what matters? If a team is winning why b***h and complain? "OMGZ TROY SMITH IS THE SUXORS BUT WE'RE WINNING" So to all of "US" that are blinded by the winning I have this to say GO f**kING NINERS!!!!

ARE THE RAMS A PLAYOFF CONTENDER???? DO THEY HAVE A TOP 5 D???? Is that what you want to hang your hat on? We beat the RAMS!!! Wooo freaking whooo!!! I should buy my ticket for the Super Bowl book a flight to Dallas then. We beat the Rams in overtime! Yeah baby!!!

did I say they were a playoff contender? did I say a top 5 D?? Nope sure didn't. I guess when you get proved wrong you resort to putting words in peoples mouths to make yourself seem cooler than you really are. Troy Smith has started 2 games and has won 2 games. When push comes to shove the only thing that matters is wins. What will your excuse be if the 49ers beat the Bucs and Troy has another great day like he did on Sunday? Oh it's just The bucs

Some people just can't be happy with a win.

Share 49ersWebzone