There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Alex won't be healthy enough, so it's Troy easily. No reason to rush him back in either, especially after Troy got himself a win. Keep the guy with momentum and let him have a chance to prove he can do enough to be the starter. Chances are, another win would solidify that.

In the mean time, Alex can rest up and get healthy. We don't want an '07 repeat. Alex had a hot hand before he got hurt with 6 TD's and only 1 pick. Now Troy has the hot hand with 2 TDs and 1 rushing. Our OL can't pass protect well and Troy's legs help him escape the ever-occurring pressure.

If Troy wins next week, the right move will be to keep him in until he does something bad enough for us to remove him. I just want to win games -- we all do -- so when something's working, we need to take that and go with it.

I wish Alex hadn't gotten hurt last week obviously, but I also wish Troy had come in instead of Carr. We would've won that game if either of those had been the case. Troy is getting his chance now, and we'll see what he can do week 10.

Too bad Alex's "hot hand" only got us one win.
Per Eric_Branch:
Singletary noncommital about his starting QB "going forward," to borrow a favorite phrase.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Denver's D is atrocious so I'm not jumping on the Troy Trolley

At the same time, our play-calling was even more atrocious. Troy should have been given more chances to throw. Denver's defense wasn't an advantage for Troy due to the off-setting disadvantage of having our play-calling.

If you're gonna make excuses, make them both ways.
Originally posted by gtowns:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Alex got a Win too and the team that he beat kicked the hell out of the team that Troy Smith just beat.

So I think maybe we should dial back the blind hatred and let's see where we're at. If Sing makes the move then I'll cheer on Troy Smith. If not then I cheer on Alex Smith.

Man, 186 votes and over 3/4 of them in favor of a guy who barely beat a crappy Denver team. Unreal.

~Ceadder

if Alex was playing was playing we would have lost to a crappy team.... Panthers?

Don't be a Tool. #11 was playing pretty decently and got injured on a missed block.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Denver's D is atrocious so I'm not jumping on the Troy Trolley

At the same time, our play-calling was even more atrocious. Troy should have been given more chances to throw. Denver's defense wasn't an advantage for Troy due to the off-setting disadvantage of having our play-calling.

If you're gonna make excuses, make them both ways.

Maybe you should take your own advice. Considering the play calling all season long has put our QBs' in a position of having to play catchup regardless of the points put on the board in the first half.

But I forgot it's all on #11. Get real.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I'd rather watch Alex play, and throw 1 TD, 2 ints, and go 12/30 with crappy pocket presence that gets his WRs killed, than watch some dude who just plays lucky with great footwork, who's receivers just manage to finally find some RAC/TD space on 'lucky' plays.

Yup, I want the guy who's so weak his TE has to motivate him into standing up to his coach when he gets benched. -I want a QB who lacks so much depth in leadership it takes him 6 years to figure it out.

some of these guys will ride with Alex no matter what... He has never had a winning season and never will... Sorry
one game and you guys are already crowning Troy.. i think he deservers the chance to show what else he can do.. Troy has had one sold half and thats it.. the first half he was absolutely worthless..
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Alex got a Win too and the team that he beat kicked the hell out of the team that Troy Smith just beat.

So I think maybe we should dial back the blind hatred and let's see where we're at. If Sing makes the move then I'll cheer on Troy Smith. If not then I cheer on Alex Smith.

Man, 186 votes and over 3/4 of them in favor of a guy who barely beat a crappy Denver team. Unreal.

~Ceadder

if Alex was playing was playing we would have lost to a crappy team.... Panthers?

Don't be a Tool. #11 was playing pretty decently and got injured on a missed block.

~Ceadder

Alex would have lost this game...thank god he's on the bench
Unreal.

I was thinking the same thing about your post.

For someone who claims to not be on either side of the fence regarding Alex Smith, you sure do make excuse after excuse to build him up and you do your best to discredit our other QBs.

Then again, I saw this post coming from a mile away. It was more predictable than a shotgun draw on 3rd-and-8 from our offense today.
I'd rather watch Alex play, and throw 1 TD, 2 ints, and go 12/30 with crappy pocket presence that gets his WRs killed, than watch some dude who just plays lucky with great footwork, who's receivers just manage to finally find some RAC/TD space on 'lucky' plays.

Yup, I want the guy who's so weak his TE has to motivate him into standing up to his coach when he gets benched. -I want a QB who lacks so much depth in leadership it takes him 6 years to figure it out.

some of these guys will ride with Alex no matter what... He has never had a winning season and never will... Sorry

Not that big of a deal, but he went 5-5 last year.
Originally posted by kazak13:
one game and you guys are already crowning Troy.. i think he deservers the chance to show what else he can do.. Troy has had one sold half and thats it.. the first half he was absolutely worthless..

He had 2 decent slant throws, but otherwise, yeah... it was an ugly though limiting 1st half for him. He really got lucky with that punt-chuck to Walker with double coverage, and he did get lucky with that fumble that bounced back to him. That said, I was encouraged by his play, but I'm not interested in exaggerating his performance because I hate Alex. We all know there's a lot of that going on...
Singletary: "We’re going to go forward with Troy Smith right now. We go into the bye week and as far as Alex Smith is concerned, it’s a week-to-week deal. I’ll wait and talk to doctors, trainers, whatever. We'll make those decisions as we need to.”
This season is done they need to see what Troy has. They have the bye week to get him practice with the first team and let him see what he can do.

Me too!
oh yeah.. id rather see what Troy can do... let Alex heal.. but either way the next 2-3 games will show us what Troy can do.. one game is nothing to judge him. overall he showed some good movement.. id like to see what else he can do before crowning him.