There are 194 users in the forums

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Originally posted by tjd808185:
We're 2-6 you play the hot hand. Denver's D is atrocious so I'm not jumping on the Troy Trolley or saying see, see what happens when Alex gets hurt we win.

But when you're desperate that's essentially what you have to do. Sorry Alex we won with Troy we keep playing with Troy.

True. But what excited me had nothing to do with the other team. Hear is what I like about him.

He had an uncanny ability to slip the rush without an all out sprint (which we see from Alex). At times he barely moved and yet managed to get away.

While under pressure, he still was able to find a receiver downfield. Nine times out of ten Smith checks that ball down to Gore.

He's a little bit of a loose cannon. I like the fact that he wants to move the chains and he is willing to take a little risk to do it. Sometimes it will bite us in the ass, but I think it's necessary.

Just watched his press conference, the kid exudes (spelling) confidence.

I like his accuracy.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
If Alex is close to 100%, I start him, but I won't be upset if Troy starts. He did enough today.., had overall good protection and a little luck on his side. I was proud of him and he helped us win the game. So whatever they decide, it's good to know that Troy can come in and do enough to be considered a starting option at this time.
conclusion: at least troy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>carr

Yes, I think we can say that much for sure. Carr didn't get much of a chance, but he looked lousy in that short time... so I got no problem with the Troy>Davis sentiment.

~Ceadder
Alex Smith's career as a 49er is over. This thread is pointless.

I cannot believe that we have some posters who want to replace the QB who earned a win in his first start -- and replace him with the worst QB who has ever donned a 49er uniform.

Un-freaking-believable.
It's going to be Troy Smith.

Singletary hand picked Troy to start this game. And he said in the post game presser about the long prayer to Delanie Walker, that that's what separates a QB from another.
Like I told some of you at the tailgate party before the game against the Eagles we should go with Troy Smith, especially since our OC had success working with Michael Vick in Atlanta - he help Vick get to two Pro Bowls in three years.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
We're 2-6 you play the hot hand. Denver's D is atrocious so I'm not jumping on the Troy Trolley or saying see, see what happens when Alex gets hurt we win.

But when you're desperate that's essentially what you have to do. Sorry Alex we won with Troy we keep playing with Troy.

True. But what excited me had nothing to do with the other team. Hear is what I like about him.

He had an uncanny ability to slip the rush without an all out sprint (which we see from Alex). At times he barely moved and yet managed to get away.

While under pressure, he still was able to find a receiver downfield. Nine times out of ten Smith checks that ball down to Gore.

He's a little bit of a loose cannon. I like the fact that he wants to move the chains and he is willing to take a little risk to do it. Sometimes it will bite us in the ass, but I think it's necessary.

I like his accuracy.

Originally posted by NewEraNiner:
That deep pass to Walker was lucky (and awesome) but I was also really impressed with T. Smith's accuracy on most of his short and intermediate throws. Throw in his ability to improvise and make plays with his legs and he's an exciting guy to watch.

Not to mention that zip on his passes. Dude throws with velocity. I agree with his ability to improvise and make plays with his legs, he made some nice plays under pressure even though Moron Norris dropped an easy catch. He still went 12 of 19 with 2 TDs (1 run, 1 pass) and no turnovers. It's nice to see a QB roll out and actually LOOK for an option instead of knowing he's going to throw it to Greg Manusky.
Alex won't be healthy enough, so it's Troy easily. No reason to rush him back in either, especially after Troy got himself a win. Keep the guy with momentum and let him have a chance to prove he can do enough to be the starter. Chances are, another win would solidify that.

In the mean time, Alex can rest up and get healthy. We don't want an '07 repeat. Alex had a hot hand before he got hurt with 6 TD's and only 1 pick. Now Troy has the hot hand with 2 TDs and 1 rushing. Our OL can't pass protect well and Troy's legs help him escape the ever-occurring pressure.

If Troy wins next week, the right move will be to keep him in until he does something bad enough for us to remove him. I just want to win games -- we all do -- so when something's working, we need to take that and go with it.

I wish Alex hadn't gotten hurt last week obviously, but I also wish Troy had come in instead of Carr. We would've won that game if either of those had been the case. Troy is getting his chance now, and we'll see what he can do week 10.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
As soon as we can Singletary, we'll start rolling. And either Smith is fine!

Stop looking for a reason to get get any kind of Alex Smith approval. He is no more than a good backup, and it's been obvious since he first stepped on the field as a 9er.
  • Ang
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I like his accuracy.

I like his accuracy.

It was a good first but let's see what happens when he faces good defenses with game tape on him.

Like I said I want him to start but I'm not going to overreact.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 31, 2010 at 2:14 PM ]
I'd rather watch Alex play, and throw 1 TD, 2 ints, and go 12/30 with crappy pocket presence that gets his WRs killed, than watch some dude who just plays lucky with great footwork, who's receivers just manage to finally find some RAC/TD space on 'lucky' plays.

Yup, I want the guy who's so weak his TE has to motivate him into standing up to his coach when he gets benched. -I want a QB who lacks so much depth in leadership it takes him 6 years to figure it out.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Alex got a Win too and the team that he beat kicked the hell out of the team that Troy Smith just beat.

So I think maybe we should dial back the blind hatred and let's see where we're at. If Sing makes the move then I'll cheer on Troy Smith. If not then I cheer on Alex Smith.

Man, 186 votes and over 3/4 of them in favor of a guy who barely beat a crappy Denver team. Unreal.

~Ceadder

if Alex was playing was playing we would have lost to a crappy team.... Panthers?
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Alex got a Win too and the team that he beat kicked the hell out of the team that Troy Smith just beat.

So I think maybe we should dial back the blind hatred and let's see where we're at. If Sing makes the move then I'll cheer on Troy Smith. If not then I cheer on Alex Smith.

Man, 186 votes and over 3/4 of them in favor of a guy who barely beat a crappy Denver team. Unreal.

~Ceadder

Yes -- you are.

Ohhhh that cut me to the quick bird.

Sadly you don't even comprehend what I was saying other than the final word. Go back and complete your education and then we can pick up where we left off.

~Ceadder
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
I doesn't matter, start Troy, start Alex either way they both have short leashes. What would make this team better is letting Johnson call the plays without being influence by Sing, that would help either qb.
Share 49ersWebzone