There are 201 users in the forums

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which Smith should start Week 10?

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Shaj:
The competent one. Captain Checkdown should ride the pine until the season is over and his sorry ass is released for good.

But this is a very important point.

Troy Smith can make PLAYS. It doesn't matter how competent, incompetent, bad, good, lucky or whatever he is. What matters is that he can do everything Carr and Smith can do, PLUS he can make plays.

exactly. Everyone gives so much credit to Gore for being such a total yards from scrimmage workhorse, but it is a red flag, because it is a symptom of our "captain checkdown" syndrome at QB (now on the bench, thankfully).

Both Smith's have mobility, but only Troy uses it, and Troy showed more instinct in this one game than Alex has his whole miserable career.

Plus Sing confirmed what we already knew: Alex Smith is not a leader, and it is killing this team.
The competent one. Captain Checkdown should ride the pine until the season is over and his sorry ass is released for good.

Troy Smith can make PLAYS. It doesn't matter how competent, incompetent, bad, good, lucky or whatever he is. What matters is that he can do everything Carr and Smith can do, PLUS he can make plays.

I'm inclined to agree with you, Brian, and I've got a good gut feeling about Smith Mk.II. But, and it's a big "but," we've barely cracked the book on T. Smith, much less taken the training wheels off. He looks very promising at the moment, but it'll be a few weeks before we get a sense for what he can really do.
Originally posted by Peanut49:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I can't imagine any reason to start Alex Smith. He is who he is. He's ok. That's it.

Let's see what we have in Troy. Maybe we wont have to draft a QB.

Watching his interview right now, the guy is a leader! He just has an aura of confidence. I dont know if he is the future, but it's worth a shot. He's already proven he can win.

How do you know he is a leader? Ah, I forgot you might have watched the game today and adopted everything the commentators told you. I wonder if anyone on this team has ever said Alex has stepped up into that leadership position? Maybe you could find that out for me...

Here is how I saw leadership. He didn't throw any picks, didn't fumble, didn't take a sack, ran it in for a score, and moved the ball. Wow, I would say that looks good.

exactly. Everyone gives so much credit to Gore for being such a total yards from scrimmage workhorse, but it is a red flag, because it is a symptom of our "captain checkdown" syndrome at QB (now on the bench, thankfully).

Both Smith's have mobility, but only Troy uses it, and Troy showed more instinct in this one game than Alex has his whole miserable career.

Plus Sing confirmed what we already knew: Alex Smith is not a leader, and it is killing this team.

Nice post, Shaj. I'll also add that T. Smith seems to be very decisive on the field. There's none of the dithering and p***yfooting around that characterizes Alex's performance. It would seem that Troy doesn't think about the game, he plays the game. And I think that's a big part of the reason why the team looked crisp, up-tempo, and a lot less plodding today, despite the run-heavy game plan.

OR Frank Gore is the core of our offense, and our game plan is to try to give him the ball as much as possible with him still being effective
Oh wait thats not it, that doesnt make sense..
ALEX for now!!! He knows the entire offense. Daft new QB and get new HC after year is over.
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:

OR Frank Gore is the core of our offense, and our game plan is to try to give him the ball as much as possible with him still being effective

Guess you didn't get the memo, all Shaj sees is Alex Smith.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:

Guess you didn't get the memo, all Shaj sees is Alex Smith.

-9fA

he probably has the worst football knowledge on the forum
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:
No question in my mind that Troy did enough today to deserve a 2nd look. Besides; if sh*t starts to go sideways and Troy isn't getting it done, Alex is the best option we have coming in off the bench if we need to go to the hurry up in the 2nd half. Nobody else has had enough reps and/or knowledge of the playbook to dig us out of a hole. Troy's job to lose and Alex has to truly prove that he wants it back.

Did you really just say it's Troy's job to lose? Why is everyone so delusional today? We are still an underachieving team with some below average QB play. However, Alex is the best option we have at QB. To say otherwise is just mad.

Also, I'm not even completely sold on Troy as the number 2. Carr came out last week with the handcuffs on and looked terrible. As did Troy today, he looked better in the 2nd half.(stats a little skewed with that bomb to Walker) Carr was at the very least an average QB who never got a fair shake and he won't get it here either.

Here is what I saw today. He didn't throw any picks, didn't fumble, didn't take a sack, ran it in for a score, and moved the ball. Why should we allow a QB who fumbles, rolls right, tosses picks, blah blah start another game. Doesn't T. Smith "deserve" another chance to win? Didn't Alex have at least 1 turnover in every game this year? Just asking... And if not, He had 2-3 in a few games to make up for the one game he didn't turn it over.
Look Troy Smith should start because we've already had 5 years of
mediocre to garbage play out of Alex Smith. David Carr is not a backup, he is a
3rd stringer at best. There is no reason AT ALL to put Alex back in becuase he has proven time and time again he is not consistent, not a leader and most importantly not a winner! Alex Smith will not be SF next year anyway. Time to move on.

Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I can't imagine any reason to start Alex Smith. He is who he is. He's ok. That's it.

Let's see what we have in Troy. Maybe we wont have to draft a QB.

Watching his interview right now, the guy is a leader! He just has an aura of confidence. I dont know if he is the future, but it's worth a shot. He's already proven he can win.

How do you know he is a leader? Ah, I forgot you might have watched the game today and adopted everything the commentators told you. I wonder if anyone on this team has ever said Alex has stepped up into that leadership position? Maybe you could find that out for me...

Here is how I saw leadership. He didn't throw any picks, didn't fumble, didn't take a sack, ran it in for a score, and moved the ball. Wow, I would say that looks good.

During the practice week, Delanie Walker told Smith to throw it up to him if he was ever in trouble, because he would make the catch. In the game, Smith did exactly that. If that's not leadership, showing amazing trust and communication with another player in 3 days of practice, I don't know what is.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:
No question in my mind that Troy did enough today to deserve a 2nd look. Besides; if sh*t starts to go sideways and Troy isn't getting it done, Alex is the best option we have coming in off the bench if we need to go to the hurry up in the 2nd half. Nobody else has had enough reps and/or knowledge of the playbook to dig us out of a hole. Troy's job to lose and Alex has to truly prove that he wants it back.

Did you really just say it's Troy's job to lose? Why is everyone so delusional today? We are still an underachieving team with some below average QB play. However, Alex is the best option we have at QB. To say otherwise is just mad.

Also, I'm not even completely sold on Troy as the number 2. Carr came out last week with the handcuffs on and looked terrible. As did Troy today, he looked better in the 2nd half.(stats a little skewed with that bomb to Walker) Carr was at the very least an average QB who never got a fair shake and he won't get it here either.

Here is what I saw today. He didn't throw any picks, didn't fumble, didn't take a sack, ran it in for a score, and moved the ball. Why should we allow a QB who fumbles, rolls right, tosses picks, blah blah start another game. Doesn't T. Smith "deserve" another chance to win? Didn't Alex have at least 1 turnover in every game this year? Just asking... And if not, He had 2-3 in a few games to make up for the one game he didn't turn it over.

I still think this board and this team over-focuses on turnovers and forgets about the fact that the quarterback is a player on the field who helps his team by not only avoiding turnovers but by MAKING plays. A quarterback who never turns the ball over, but also never makes any plays is probably leaving a lot of missed opportunities on the field.

I would rather see both the interceptions and the touchdowns on an exciting offense, then a mistake free offense with a bunch of punts and running plays, on a boring, rudderless ship going nowhere.

For example, Brett Favre always turned the ball over. But when he was younger, he would make up for all those picks by making a ton of miracle plays. This year, the difference is that he is not making the same amount of miracle plays that he used to make.

With Troy Smith and Nate Davis, we have two quarterbacks with cannon arms and quick releases who dodge defenders and make plays.
With Alex Smith and David Carr, we have two skittish quarterbacks with average to poor arms, slow releases, who get sacked and throw the ball away.
I think people need to honestly re-watch this game (by any means possible) and look at the rapport Troy had with this team today, it was pretty impressive.

After each scoring-series Troy was all over the sideline giving props to the o-line/pumping them up (even during the post-game presser he was giving them love), and after that TD to Crabs they were exchanging elation-filled banter. -The Guy oozes with confidence and leadership.

Troy Smith = Willie Beamen

• BobS
  • Veteran
This Smith seems to be able to complete passes with out needing the protection to hold up for 5 seconds.
It's hard to read too much into beating a terrible Denver team. But Troy Smith played pretty well. He's certainly way better than David Carr. Whether he is better than Alex for the rest of the season I don't know. He didn't play badly though.

The 49ers always do this. Lose tons of games. Then go on a meaningless winning streak to give false hope and just miss the playoffs. We are going to do it again...

The early season schedule was clearly harder BTW. And now all the softballs are lined up. So I don't think it's a fair comparison. Having said that Troy played well and he may get the opportunity to continue.
Share 49ersWebzone