There are 199 users in the forums

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by Peanut49:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I can't imagine any reason to start Alex Smith. He is who he is. He's ok. That's it.

Let's see what we have in Troy. Maybe we wont have to draft a QB.

Watching his interview right now, the guy is a leader! He just has an aura of confidence. I dont know if he is the future, but it's worth a shot. He's already proven he can win.

How do you know he is a leader? Ah, I forgot you might have watched the game today and adopted everything the commentators told you. I wonder if anyone on this team has ever said Alex has stepped up into that leadership position? Maybe you could find that out for me...

Here is how I saw leadership. He didn't throw any picks, didn't fumble, didn't take a sack, ran it in for a score, and moved the ball. Wow, I would say that looks good.

agree
Let's watch the game tape and decide...
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
The competent one. Captain Checkdown should ride the pine until the season is over and his sorry ass is released for good.

But this is a very important point.

Troy Smith can make PLAYS. It doesn't matter how competent, incompetent, bad, good, lucky or whatever he is. What matters is that he can do everything Carr and Smith can do, PLUS he can make plays.

exactly. Everyone gives so much credit to Gore for being such a total yards from scrimmage workhorse, but it is a red flag, because it is a symptom of our "captain checkdown" syndrome at QB (now on the bench, thankfully).

Both Smith's have mobility, but only Troy uses it, and Troy showed more instinct in this one game than Alex has his whole miserable career.

Plus Sing confirmed what we already knew: Alex Smith is not a leader, and it is killing this team.
OR Frank Gore is the core of our offense, and our game plan is to try to give him the ball as much as possible with him still being effective
Oh wait thats not it, that doesnt make sense..

Guess you didn't get the memo, all Shaj sees is Alex Smith.

-9fA

he probably has the worst football knowledge on the forum

No, I'm just the most sick of watching a coach and team killer at the helm for much of the last 6 years.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's hard to read too much into beating a terrible Denver team. But Troy Smith played pretty well. He's certainly way better than David Carr. Whether he is better than Alex for the rest of the season I don't know. He didn't play badly though.

The 49ers always do this. Lose tons of games. Then go on a meaningless winning streak to give false hope and just miss the playoffs. We are going to do it again...

The early season schedule was clearly harder BTW. And now all the softballs are lined up. So I don't think it's a fair comparison. Having said that Troy played well and he may get the opportunity to continue.

I agree with you. Right now, I think T. Smith deserves another shot at the starting spot and am sure he will get it. I think he played par today. I think he missed some easy throws and it was a great play by D. Walker to really help him. So really not quite sure what we have in him quite yet. He didn't do anything to cost us the game so yeah give him another shot. Why not?

About the playoffs. We still have 5 division games left. Last season we went 5-1. Right now if we can do that again we are at a 7-6 record. With the other 3 games being pretty tough, we need to win out the divison and squeek out a win against TB at home, and squeek out a win against either GB, or SD. It's going to be extremely tough, but this is pretty much our only shot.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's hard to read too much into beating a terrible Denver team. But Troy Smith played pretty well. He's certainly way better than David Carr. Whether he is better than Alex for the rest of the season I don't know. He didn't play badly though.

The 49ers always do this. Lose tons of games. Then go on a meaningless winning streak to give false hope and just miss the playoffs. We are going to do it again...

The early season schedule was clearly harder BTW. And now all the softballs are lined up. So I don't think it's a fair comparison. Having said that Troy played well and he may get the opportunity to continue.

I have this same fear about Troy Smith, he played way better than I expected. I am hoping it wasn't because the defense did not prepare well enough because of lack of film. Right now it seems he has the promise to at least be an average or better NFL quarterback. A guy who could at least lead the team to 10 wins a year until we find the next Jeff Garcia. I didn't say Young or Montana, as we have had 3 HOF Qbs, I don't think the gods that rule this sport will give us anymore. Yes 3, I think a lot of zoners forget about Y.A. Tittle, I was not a fan in his day, but I know my 49er history.
Troy Smith won himself another start.

Rest Alex, possibly permanently as a starter
Troy should start if anything because of his ability to improvise.His mobility makes defenses have to gameplan against it, in turn opening it up down field, our recievers dont get separation very well so having a qb that can create extra time with his legs is always a plus, smith showed he can do this on a few plays today, imagine what he could look like with 100% of the playbook under his belt, I think he'll get better each week. It seems like troy just goes out and plays whereas alex thinks about it too much.
Originally posted by Hopper:
No question Troy Smith. A win should buy him another start.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by Peanut49:
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:
No question in my mind that Troy did enough today to deserve a 2nd look. Besides; if sh*t starts to go sideways and Troy isn't getting it done, Alex is the best option we have coming in off the bench if we need to go to the hurry up in the 2nd half. Nobody else has had enough reps and/or knowledge of the playbook to dig us out of a hole. Troy's job to lose and Alex has to truly prove that he wants it back.

Did you really just say it's Troy's job to lose? Why is everyone so delusional today? We are still an underachieving team with some below average QB play. However, Alex is the best option we have at QB. To say otherwise is just mad.

Also, I'm not even completely sold on Troy as the number 2. Carr came out last week with the handcuffs on and looked terrible. As did Troy today, he looked better in the 2nd half.(stats a little skewed with that bomb to Walker) Carr was at the very least an average QB who never got a fair shake and he won't get it here either.

Here is what I saw today. He didn't throw any picks, didn't fumble, didn't take a sack, ran it in for a score, and moved the ball. Why should we allow a QB who fumbles, rolls right, tosses picks, blah blah start another game. Doesn't T. Smith "deserve" another chance to win? Didn't Alex have at least 1 turnover in every game this year? Just asking... And if not, He had 2-3 in a few games to make up for the one game he didn't turn it over.

I still think this board and this team over-focuses on turnovers and forgets about the fact that the quarterback is a player on the field who helps his team by not only avoiding turnovers but by MAKING plays. A quarterback who never turns the ball over, but also never makes any plays is probably leaving a lot of missed opportunities on the field.

I would rather see both the interceptions and the touchdowns on an exciting offense, then a mistake free offense with a bunch of punts and running plays, on a boring, rudderless ship going nowhere.

For example, Brett Favre always turned the ball over. But when he was younger, he would make up for all those picks by making a ton of miracle plays. This year, the difference is that he is not making the same amount of miracle plays that he used to make.

With Troy Smith and Nate Davis, we have two quarterbacks with cannon arms and quick releases who dodge defenders and make plays.
With Alex Smith and David Carr, we have two skittish quarterbacks with average to poor arms, slow releases, who get sacked and throw the ball away.

I agree with you. No risk, no reward. I am 40 and have been watching this team since I was 10. For 22 years, I have enjoyed football, but this loyalty to Alex Smith just baffles and upsets me. You can watch other teams throw in other QB's just to see what they have, or to get a spark. Heck, McNabb got yanked out again today. All we have done is let A. Smith do what you stated above, the skittishness (is that a word?) inconsistancy, inaccurate at most times, accurate others. However, I am so sick of Singletary. Poor coaching has been killing us all year. Unprepared, poor clock management, and just his rants on the sidelines.... For the 1st time in 30 years, a little part of me wanted them to lose to ensure M.S. and A.S. are gone after this year or sooner.
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
this isnt even a question....

its troy

Especially if he wins the next game, its unlikely Alex would be ready, Troy should finish the year
[ Edited by TheCatch on Oct 31, 2010 at 8:09 PM ]

i wouldnt want that decision on my head. on one hand smith played pretty good the last 2-3 games before getting hurt and then you have a guy who looked great, albeit against a s**tty team like denver. i wish they wouldve let troy play from the beginning of the game, they baby sat him too long, the 2nd half he looked great. itll be interesting to see how they handle it.
The competent one. Captain Checkdown should ride the pine until the season is over and his sorry ass is released for good.

Troy Smith can make PLAYS. It doesn't matter how competent, incompetent, bad, good, lucky or whatever he is. What matters is that he can do everything Carr and Smith can do, PLUS he can make plays.

exactly. Everyone gives so much credit to Gore for being such a total yards from scrimmage workhorse, but it is a red flag, because it is a symptom of our "captain checkdown" syndrome at QB (now on the bench, thankfully).

Both Smith's have mobility, but only Troy uses it, and Troy showed more instinct in this one game than Alex has his whole miserable career.

Plus Sing confirmed what we already knew: Alex Smith is not a leader, and it is killing this team.
OR Frank Gore is the core of our offense, and our game plan is to try to give him the ball as much as possible with him still being effective

-9fA

No, I'm just the most sick of watching a coach and team killer at the helm for much of the last 6 years.

To bad he hasn't exactly been on the field for the 6 years but whatever floats your boat....... Jim Hostler and Mike Nolan have gone on to have great coaching careers

We all know where you stand.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Oct 31, 2010 at 8:14 PM ]

-9fA

To bad he hasn't exactly been on the field for the 6 years but whatever floats your boat....... Jim Hostler and Mike Nolan have gone on to have great coaching careers

We all know where you stand.

-9fA

we sure do and no one really cares shaj. youve been such a troll around here the last few years most of us disregard what you say anyway.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
this isnt even a question....

its troy

Especially if he wins the next game, its unlikely Alex would be ready, Troy should finish the year

troy>alex

alex first game of the year = interceptions and a loss.

troys first game of the year = cool, calm, no turnovers, and most importantly, a WIN!!
Share 49ersWebzone