LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 152 users in the forums

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Peanut49:
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:
No question in my mind that Troy did enough today to deserve a 2nd look. Besides; if sh*t starts to go sideways and Troy isn't getting it done, Alex is the best option we have coming in off the bench if we need to go to the hurry up in the 2nd half. Nobody else has had enough reps and/or knowledge of the playbook to dig us out of a hole. Troy's job to lose and Alex has to truly prove that he wants it back.

Did you really just say it's Troy's job to lose? Why is everyone so delusional today? We are still an underachieving team with some below average QB play. However, Alex is the best option we have at QB. To say otherwise is just mad.

Also, I'm not even completely sold on Troy as the number 2. Carr came out last week with the handcuffs on and looked terrible. As did Troy today, he looked better in the 2nd half.(stats a little skewed with that bomb to Walker) Carr was at the very least an average QB who never got a fair shake and he won't get it here either.

So if a defender is running straight at Alex Smith or David Carr unblocked, what will happen?
Perhaps a sack? Or perhaps Smith will run straight backwards, then to the sideline and then throw the ball out of bounds?

Troy Smith was able to duck and dodge UNBLOCKED defenders coming at him, and then complete the pass. This is also known as "making a play."

I'm curious if you go through each play, in which circumstance could you tell yourself, "you know what, Alex Smith would have made something out of that play where Troy Smith did not." No. It is the opposite. Alex Smith or David Carr would have been sacked several times during that game.

Does Troy Smith have a weaker arm? Poor vision? What? What is the part of play where you think, "wow" Alex Smith is really an improvement over Troy Smith?

Troy Smith was barely given any opportunity to throw the ball with only 3 days of practice, but he was able to make plays, instead of throwing the ball out of bounds. In contrast, after 6 years, and countless practice hours, I can't see what Alex CAN do that Troy CAN'T do. Troy Smith did everything Alex Smith or David Carr would have done in that game PLUS some extra.

If Alex Smith gets the start next game, and we lose, this fan base will go apoplectic. Yes, Troy Smith WILL start next game, and as long as he keeps winning, its not going to change.

This post is so on point, don't even bother posting unless you agree.....
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Peanut49:
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:
No question in my mind that Troy did enough today to deserve a 2nd look. Besides; if sh*t starts to go sideways and Troy isn't getting it done, Alex is the best option we have coming in off the bench if we need to go to the hurry up in the 2nd half. Nobody else has had enough reps and/or knowledge of the playbook to dig us out of a hole. Troy's job to lose and Alex has to truly prove that he wants it back.

Did you really just say it's Troy's job to lose? Why is everyone so delusional today? We are still an underachieving team with some below average QB play. However, Alex is the best option we have at QB. To say otherwise is just mad.

Also, I'm not even completely sold on Troy as the number 2. Carr came out last week with the handcuffs on and looked terrible. As did Troy today, he looked better in the 2nd half.(stats a little skewed with that bomb to Walker) Carr was at the very least an average QB who never got a fair shake and he won't get it here either.

So if a defender is running straight at Alex Smith or David Carr unblocked, what will happen?
Perhaps a sack? Or perhaps Smith will run straight backwards, then to the sideline and then throw the ball out of bounds?

Troy Smith was able to duck and dodge UNBLOCKED defenders coming at him, and then complete the pass. This is also known as "making a play."

I'm curious if you go through each play, in which circumstance could you tell yourself, "you know what, Alex Smith would have made something out of that play where Troy Smith did not." No. It is the opposite. Alex Smith or David Carr would have been sacked several times during that game.

Does Troy Smith have a weaker arm? Poor vision? What? What is the part of play where you think, "wow" Alex Smith is really an improvement over Troy Smith?

Troy Smith was barely given any opportunity to throw the ball with only 3 days of practice, but he was able to make plays, instead of throwing the ball out of bounds. In contrast, after 6 years, and countless practice hours, I can't see what Alex CAN do that Troy CAN'T do. Troy Smith did everything Alex Smith or David Carr would have done in that game PLUS some extra.

If Alex Smith gets the start next game, and we lose, this fan base will go apoplectic. Yes, Troy Smith WILL start next game, and as long as he keeps winning, its not going to change.

This post is so on point, don't even bother posting unless you agree.....

great post BrianGO.
Sing put Alex back in instead of Troy. I would be frigin POed if that happened! It is time to move on and see what Troy's got. We got a taste of what he can do today. Now lets see if he can be consistent. I have confidence that he will continue to improve his game and get us some more W's. From what I've heard he prepared like a mad man this week and even kept the Offense after practice to keep on working. The guy did not even go sight seeing for crying out loud when the rest of team did! So far so good for Troy, and I hope he continues to get better for the team's sake. Discuss.........
Originally posted by BleedRandG:
Sing put Alex back in instead of Troy. I would be frigin POed if that happened! It is time to move on and see what Troy's got. We got a taste of what he can do today. Now lets see if he can be consistent. I have confidence that he will continue to improve his game and get us some more W's. From what I've heard he prepared like a mad man this week and even kept the Offense after practice to keep on working. The guy did not even go sight seeing for crying out loud when the rest of team did! So far so good for Troy, and I hope he continues to get better for the team's sake. Discuss.........

P.S. Troy better be starting cuz I am going to the rams game in 2 weeks!
I think Sing's leadership comments mentioned by the commentating crew tells me he doesn't think too hard in whether he feels compelled to put Alex back in the game.

I think Alex should start but be benched if he plays like his normal self and has 3 quarters worth of droughts.
Missed most of the game. Cant wait to watch it.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
I liked smith at ohio state, but I wouldn't be giddy just yet. He had a good forth quarter, the rest of the game wasn't that good. I'd keep him in if he has the hot hand, but one quarter is a little short to tell that just yet.
If Alex is healthy put him in.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Missed most of the game. Cant wait to watch it.

It was my first win I got to watch this year, I missed the raider game

Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:
If Alex is healthy put him in.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Alex is done, I think Sing has moved on.
Originally posted by susweel:

It's because Troy Smith is a brotha. Sing likes his brothas.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by susweel:

It's because Troy Smith is a brotha. Sing likes his brothas.

Just not Nate Davis.
Share 49ersWebzone