There are 199 users in the forums

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

B.

The TD pass was risky and the long pass to Walker was terrible. A good defense would have picked both.
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
B.

The TD pass was risky and the long pass to Walker was terrible. A good defense would have picked both.

Agreed its a terrible and shouldn't had been throw. I'll give him a pass since he hasn't played for more than 2 years. Hope he works out his stuff. He seems confidence and hard to tackle. I think our crappy O-line really likes it.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Troy had to have certain things happen in order for him to move up on depth chart, considering he joined the team so late. But, I think he can salvage our season and we can make things interesting in the NFC West. Troy Smith was going to be a starter in Baltimore going into his 2nd year in 2008 and then the team drafted Flacco and went with him and I am not quite sure why they got rid of Smith. Part of it could be he was drafted by Brian Billick and the coaching staff wanted their "own guy". Maybe he was to much of a threat to Flacco? I don't know but he certainly at worse is a quality backup and I think he can be a solid starter. Reminds me of Garcia in a lot of ways. Plus I just love his confidence and football intelligence more than Alex Smith's.

You assume way too much without really knowing anything. He didn't back up Kyle Boller or anything. He reminds you of Jeff Garcia? Really?? You honestly think he is capable of 4,000+ passing and 400+ rushing??? Delusional.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
No way you can give this guy a solid B. C'mon what game were you guys watching? If this was 9ers Saints we'da gotten our asses kicked in.

This is 9ers Broncos. A team that has ZERO Pass Rush and has Bad Run Defense. You make the kind of mistakes that T.Smith was making today and this is yet another Loss.

I'm happy that we got the W and I'll take it gratefully but I'm not gonna give the kid a B. He doesn't deserve it and you know it. Your letting your emotions affect your grade.

~Ceadder

I think YOU are letting your emotions for ALEX SMITH ruin his grade! 63% and ZERO picks = WIN.
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
B.

I can see the Delanie pass being risky, but the TD pass was good. If that was a good defense, I don't believe Troy would have thrown the ball. The defender had his back turned making Crabtree open on the play. Troy played well IMO. He was accurate for the most part, "Something Alex has major problems with" and Troy look like he had an idea of what was going on out there on the field, "Something Clueless Carr didn't have".
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
one lucky throw, some good moves with his feet, no mistakes. B

And a lucky bounce!
I'll take some good luck any day! Solid B, happy to see it, but not ready to crown a new king!
I would give him a C. Average game. He needs some more throwing Attempts but he got the win so its cool.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE f**kING GAME DAMNIT!!!

Gunslinger QB.

He'll make some magical plays. He'll make some stupid ones.

Favre is the quintessential gunslinger QB. If you've watched him play, you know the risks. Most INTs all time. Championship game last season. Decades of magic.

You have to be great as a gun-slinging QB to not quickly wear out your welcome, though.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
does anybody else not see that when A. Smith has had almost identical games to this the same people who are giving T. Smith an A+ give Smith a D- ? Doesn't that seem a little bit inconsistent?

The last time I checked the question wasn't "Grade T. Smith juxtaposing hi performance with How you feel about A. Smith, no matter how irrational that hate has been". It is like ten thousand 12 year old's have taken over NT...

Anyway, I will give T. Smith a B for the game. He didn't do much, and had some luck, but he made a few big plays and had to fight against pitiful situational play-calling for much of the game. Also Vernon went down and he still came through so that was nice. I liked his command in the pocket, and his ability to move around. I didn't like his decision making all the time. He needs to be more careful against better defensive squads ecause he got lucky a few times out there.

See it isn't that hard to be unbiased. I want to make sure everyone notices how much the supposedly "biased, myopic etc" Alex fans are being fair with T. Smith. Can't say that for the haters who STILL talk about him even when he wasn't in the game, and incorporate him in their grading systems. Stay Classy Ninertalk.

You are kidding -- aren't you?

Alex Smith has never had a performance like this. Period. End of story. Alex Smith would have thrown two or three picks and turned the ball over three times because that's what Alex does. Period.

We're not blind dude. We know good QB play. We know we haven't seen it out of Alex. His record reflects that.

Why don't you stop hating on Troy after just one game?
Pretty good. For lack of prep time with the starters and the offense I would give him a solid B.

Started off really slow in the 1st half.

The 2nd half he looked much better by making some key plays.

I swear he bought Dingleberry another 2 weeks with a job
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Started slow, ended hot. B+, but he should get an 'A' if you grade on a curve, taking into account that a) he only had one week to get ready and b) if you compare him to Alex Smith's historical performances.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:
Started slow, ended hot. B+, but he should get an 'A' if you grade on a curve, taking into account that a) he only had one week to get ready and b) if you compare him to Alex Smith's historical performances.

And Mike Dingletary was overseeing his development and the play calling.
Solid B for his overall performance.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by Shaj:

And Mike Dingletary was overseeing his development and the play calling.

That's a big handicap!
Share 49ersWebzone