LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Originally posted by oldman9er:
I thought the sideline pass to Crabtree was solid... risky, as most throws to the back shoulder on those passes are risks.

I thought the pass to Walker was very unwise and should never be thrown, but I'm so glad it somehow fell into Walker's hands.

Gotta love it though, those are the high risk/high-reward renegade plays that fearless/good QBs take a shot at. Troy Smith is one confident motherf**ker, Alex Smith could learn a thing or two from him.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I thought the sideline pass to Crabtree was solid... risky, as most throws to the back shoulder on those passes are risks.

I thought the pass to Walker was very unwise and should never be thrown, but I'm so glad it somehow fell into Walker's hands.

Gotta love it though, those are the high risk/high-reward renegade plays that fearless/good QBs take a shot at. Troy Smith is one confident motherf**ker, Alex Smith could learn a thing or two from him.

this.
Originally posted by DominantQE:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
A

One week of practice, and he has the best QB performance of the year. Definitely cannot ask more than that.

Not to mention he was working with a limited play book.

Alex fanboys will find a reason to dismiss Troy's performance. A lucky throw (one Alex would have never attempted due to lack of testicular fortitude) or "it's the Broncos and they suck" will probably be the main reasons.

it was an awful pass that should not have been attempted.

That pass was thrown on the money! What are you all talking about? He did what playmakers do and you all are extreme haters!

On the money? That pass gets picked off 9 out of 10 times. He wasn't only lucky it was a completion, he's very lucky it wasn't a turnover.

Just take a look at the play again if you can. That pass was on the money!

No it wasn't. On the money is over the shoulder. Crabtree had to turn around to get it while running in reverse to the Goal Line.

If #11 throws that Pass you wouldn't say it was on the money.

~Ceadder

short and/or wide is more of a likely scenario if #11 throws

You probably watch the 49ers more than any other team and maybe you have come to the conclusion that Alex throws the ball high and or wide more than any other QB. I just wanna let you know every QB does it no more than the next.

I truly believe Romo throws the ball high every time, my mom is a cowboys fan so I catch most of the games, but it seems like he rarely throws an incomplete pass.

We all know Crabs and VD give up on a lot of passes.
How can we have so much disagreement? WE WON! its not like were used to it at this point... Lets enjoy it. The man gets an A+ bcuz he's 1-0, and has got to stay in the game because at 1-6 nobody can be playing that good.. Alex (obviously) included!

Yeah... love it when it works in our favor. Hate it when it bites us in the rear.

This time, it worked out... so I am .
  • 8to80
Originally posted by gtowns:
How can we have so much disagreement? WE WON! its not like were used to it at this point... Lets enjoy it. The man gets an A+ bcuz he's 1-0, and has got to stay in the game because at 1-6 nobody can be playing that good.. Alex (obviously) included!

NO, WE REFUSE! The fight must go on!
Its still better than watching alex smith roll right and throw out of bounds over and over and over and over and over
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
one lucky throw, some good moves with his feet, no mistakes. B

Yup, he looked ok out there with a limited playbook and with limited practice as well. I loved the athleticism that he brought when the play broke down, something that I just haven't seen from Smith.

If Alex can't practice the week before the STL game, it will be the best to declare Troy the starter. If we pull that game out, we stand a tiny glimmer of hope of in the division.

-9fA

I can't say much because the pass was caught.

However that is the type of play from a paniced QB in all actuality. That play doesn't even have a place in college football. It was a high risk, low success rate play if I've ever seen one. Hail him because Alex thinks too much and Troy doesn't think at all.
Originally posted by Peanut49:

However that is the type of play from a paniced QB in all actuality. That play doesn't even have a place in college football. It was a high risk, low success rate play if I've ever seen one. Hail him because Alex thinks too much and Troy doesn't think at all.

Didn't comment on this but you are so right. The Crabtree pass was bold and fine. The Walker one was really... okay I'll just say it... stupid.

Originally posted by Peanut49:

Then you clearly haven't watched a lot of football in your lifetime.

Dude, you're down by 7 f**king points with possibly the game on the line (knowing how s**tty/tired your defense is getting), and you hang in the pocket, evade, wait for an open guy, and BOOM you take the shot. YOU THROW YOUR BALLS ON THE WALL!!! Troy knew what he was doing.

f**k, put Alex Smith in that situation and it'd be a f**king dump-off screen to Gore, or a 6 yard check-down to Josh Morgan with Ted Ginn open 40 yards down field!

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE f**kING GAME DAMNIT!!!

Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Ummmm he's had SEVEN weeks and Training Camp to prepare.

Huh!? You mean all those reps he had with the first team throughout those 7 weeks of "preparation"? ......oh... wait........

Do you know what a frigging playbook is? Regardless of personnel the plays are the same. Johnson didn't just throw it out and start drawing up plays in the dirt. Geezus, you might try listening to announcers instead of tuning them out. That and Bill, Joe and Steve(Bono and Young) have all said what good backups do to prepare. So pound sand.

~Ceadder

LOL! First of all don't get your panties in a bunch, dude. And no, I have no idea what a playbook is. Durrr. Really insulting me on that one.

I OBVIOUSLY know that the plays are the same, but you're trying to tell me preparation by looking at the plays, throwing to different (less talented) players, and throwing against different (less talented) players in practice is that same as what work Alex has been doing all year in preparation?! Give me a f**king break. It's night and day. Get your pompous head out of your ass.

Oh, and listening to the announcers is how you learn football huh?
TROY HAS THE "IT".... we have been looking for.... cheers...
Well he didn't do anything to ruin the game for us...something new for a change.
Troy had to have certain things happen in order for him to move up on depth chart, considering he joined the team so late. But, I think he can salvage our season and we can make things interesting in the NFC West. Troy Smith was going to be a starter in Baltimore going into his 2nd year in 2008 and then the team drafted Flacco and went with him and I am not quite sure why they got rid of Smith. Part of it could be he was drafted by Brian Billick and the coaching staff wanted their "own guy". Maybe he was to much of a threat to Flacco? I don't know but he certainly at worse is a quality backup and I think he can be a solid starter. Reminds me of Garcia in a lot of ways. Plus I just love his confidence and football intelligence more than Alex Smith's.
Share 49ersWebzone