There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Originally posted by ObePwnD:
PS: COACH SING, Troy can't play with one hand tied around his balls, set him free and let him use that beautiful big arm of his.



If they did that we may be looking at a whole different outcome.

You're playing against a team that just left Oakland run all over them and we have a QB that has had little to no practice and doesn't know the playbook like you want your starter to know it. They played it perfectly (aside from that 3rd and 5 to Dixon in the 4th).
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
B-, I guess it helps to be lucky because if it was Alex out there that throw up would have been a pick 6 and that fumble would have bounced to the defense. It helps that the OL didn't let any free rushers at him, blocked well in pass and run, didn't have any false starts, didn't have any holds and didn't have any personal fouls. Basically, didn't beat themselves and hurt the QB like they did in most of the other games. The defense got turnovers as well. Plus we ran the ball well and when we do that plus don't turn the ball over, DL gets turnovers and OL blocks well we can win with Alex or Troy Smith.


All great points, and with it said, I do briefly think about "the luck" factor or lack thereof. Does seem like Alex is cursed or something... very strange.

I was thinking the same thing on that fumble and the falling back pass into double coverage. If it was Alex there's no way he'd be so lucky on either of those plays.
A- considering his little prepartion, playing away from home, etc...He can only get better with more practice with them first team O...Cant really say the same for Alex....
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
B-, I guess it helps to be lucky because if it was Alex out there that throw up would have been a pick 6 and that fumble would have bounced to the defense. It helps that the OL didn't let any free rushers at him, blocked well in pass and run, didn't have any false starts, didn't have any holds and didn't have any personal fouls. Basically, didn't beat themselves and hurt the QB like they did in most of the other games. The defense got turnovers as well. Plus we ran the ball well and when we do that plus don't turn the ball over, DL gets turnovers and OL blocks well we can win with Alex or Troy Smith.


All great points, and with it said, I do briefly think about "the luck" factor or lack thereof. Does seem like Alex is cursed or something... very strange.

I was thinking the same thing on that fumble and the falling back pass into double coverage. If it was Alex there's no way he'd be so lucky on either of those plays.

So if there really was a continuing differential in "the luck factor", how can one not just say, "Hey Alex, you know... it's not fair to you, but sorry... gonna have to step aside."

Whether it's right or wrong... In the end, all we want is to win.
I gave him a B cause we won the game.

Hope he gets better cause he won't be seeing a D like that again and those throws into double coverage deep will be picked off and a fumbled ball will not always bounce back up to your hands.
Positives:

1. Great poise/footwork/zip on the ball, hung in the pocket and made things happen when the o-line collapsed.

2. Adjusted protection packages/shifted the line like a pro. (This was pretty impressive, Troy shifted Byham and Walker from left to right on almost 3 different occasions, which all resulted in manageable gains for Gore.

3. Took shots at open receivers (not just the 'safe' routes, but open ones down-field), and didn't once settle for a dump-off/screen.

4. Was an instrumental factor in today's win.

Negatives:

1. Dropped the ball on the 50 (but picked it up and at least gained 2 year yards on the play).

2. The "draw" audible up the middle towards the end of the the third quarter was very questionable. (Bought into the blitz package far too easily.)

3. Seemed very off-rhythm with most of the receivers during the first 2-3 quarters. (But it's hard to access since it's his first start/Delanie Walker couldn't catch a ball if his life depended on it.)

Overall: B-

We'll see what Troy is really made of after having 2 weeks to prep against a hungry/improving Rams team (that's actually proving to be a legit division leader.)
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 31, 2010 at 3:41 PM ]
  • 8to80
  • Member
  • Posts: 265
B+. He made around 2 inaccurate throws that should have been accurate considering he wasn't under alot of pressure. That's still less than A. Smith who seems to be off/on with his accuracy.

He made that one stupid decision to throw to Walker, although that helped us win the game.

QB rating = 115.2. Last time we had a QB with a QB rating over 100 was with A. Smith on 10/25/09. The fact that he hasn't started a game in 3 seasons, plus the fact that he hasn't had alot of time learning the offense and building chemistry. I give him a B+. I think C is kind of harsh, unless you guys have been giving D's & F's to A. Smith.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
A

One week of practice, and he has the best QB performance of the year. Definitely cannot ask more than that.

I second this notion, absolutely
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Peanut49:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
No way you can give this guy a solid B. C'mon what game were you guys watching? If this was 9ers Saints we'da gotten our asses kicked in.

This is 9ers Broncos. A team that has ZERO Pass Rush and has Bad Run Defense. You make the kind of mistakes that T.Smith was making today and this is yet another Loss.

I'm happy that we got the W and I'll take it gratefully but I'm not gonna give the kid a B. He doesn't deserve it and you know it. Your letting your emotions affect your grade.

~Ceadder

But you have been give Alex and A+ all season. Your credibility is hsot my friend..LOL!

When? I never graded ANY game by Alex and if I did it sure as hell wouldn't be an A+. You're talking out your ass.

~Ceadder

What about the game against the Saints?

C+ and Troy was about a C in this one.

Thank you. If I were to grade(or if I did grade it) it would've had to be a C+.

I'm starting to think this is a 2nd half team.

~Ceadder

I was alluding to the fact that you DID grade Alex after the Saints game and you gave him an A. I have the quote if you need it.

But I agree about Troy Smith. I'd give Troy Smith about a C+

I stand corrected. That seems like it happened last season.

~Ceadder

I think losing season's just run longer.

Yeah, unfortunately they do.

I just think people need to take a step back and drop the name Alex Smith from their grading curve good or bad.

I gave Smith a reasonable grade based on what he was allowed to do which wasn't much. That DB doesn't get stupid, Tree doesn't go free and it's probably not a Touchdown there. But this team is built for speed. Yeah I know that Morgan isn't but we have 2 TEs' that run ~4.4 speed, Ginn, Tree and that's just on the Offense. Haralson was nowhere to be seen today, but he and Manny have to be the fastest OLB tandem in the league and couple them with Bam Bam and dang we got speed to burn. Unfortunately our guys haven't been playing within themselves for much of the season.

It was just nice to come away with the Win.

QB gets a C.
Team gets a B
OC gets a C+ as much as I hated seeing Gore get all those touches.
Defense gets a B-
Coach gets a B- cause the Timeouts are being called by the QB to keep from getting Delay of Game. Could care less if he rants at the idiot Officials. Maybe Goodell will scrutinize the calls more if he gets out of hand.
Manusky gets a C+ cause let's be honest our guys are the ones making the mistakes, Wembley doesn't have a Coordinators booth and he sends in the right calls that our Personnel faps.

Overall I would give us a B-. Would have been a C+ but we got the Win and a Win is what really matters in the end. 2-6 going into the Bye and St. Louis coming up. If #11 is healthy enough to go then I want him on the field but damn our team needs to pull its head out of it's cheeks and breathe some clean air. St. Louis isn't good and our team is playing below their expectations. It's time to turn up the heat on these fools in the NFCWest.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by verb1der:
For a 3rd stringer to come in mid-season and take over, I think he did a damn good job.

Poise, leadership, and a WIN!

This more anything. Also with very little NFL experience. Lucky throw but it was still close enough to a receiver to allow him to make a play on it: something we havent seen a QB do since the Hill pass to Morgan against STL.
  • 8to80
  • Member
  • Posts: 265
Originally posted by Ceadder:



Yeah, unfortunately they do.

I just think people need to take a step back and drop the name Alex Smith from their grading curve good or bad.

I gave Smith a reasonable grade based on what he was allowed to do which wasn't much. That DB doesn't get stupid, Tree doesn't go free and it's probably not a Touchdown there. But this team is built for speed. Yeah I know that Morgan isn't but we have 2 TEs' that run ~4.4 speed, Ginn, Tree and that's just on the Offense. Haralson was nowhere to be seen today, but he and Manny have to be the fastest OLB tandem in the league and couple them with Bam Bam and dang we got speed to burn. Unfortunately our guys haven't been playing within themselves for much of the season.

It was just nice to come away with the Win.

QB gets a C.
Team gets a B
OC gets a C+ as much as I hated seeing Gore get all those touches.
Defense gets a B-
Coach gets a B- cause the Timeouts are being called by the QB to keep from getting Delay of Game. Could care less if he rants at the idiot Officials. Maybe Goodell will scrutinize the calls more if he gets out of hand.
Manusky gets a C+ cause let's be honest our guys are the ones making the mistakes, Wembley doesn't have a Coordinators booth and he sends in the right calls that our Personnel faps.

Overall I would give us a B-. Would have been a C+ but we got the Win and a Win is what really matters in the end. 2-6 going into the Bye and St. Louis coming up. If #11 is healthy enough to go then I want him on the field but damn our team needs to pull its head out of it's cheeks and breathe some clean air. St. Louis isn't good and our team is playing below their expectations. It's time to turn up the heat on these fools in the NFCWest.

~Ceadder

Ummmm........I think you misread the subject. It is titled "Grade Troy Smith's Peformance". Not "Grade every position, coach, and play".
[ Edited by 8to80 on Oct 31, 2010 at 3:47 PM ]
Originally posted by 8to80:
Ummmm........I think you misread the subject. It is titled "Grade Troy Smith's Peformance". Not "Grade every position, coach, and play".

Ummmm........I think you forgot or don't know how to quote...
[ Edited by Gavintech on Oct 31, 2010 at 3:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by 8to80:
Ummmm........I think you misread the subject. It is titled "Grade Troy Smith's Peformance". Not "Grade every position, coach, and play".

Ummmm........I think you forgot or don't know how to quote...

NM, you fixed it... LOL
Originally posted by niteshade80:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
A

One week of practice, and he has the best QB performance of the year. Definitely cannot ask more than that.

I second this notion, absolutely
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by verb1der:
For a 3rd stringer to come in mid-season and take over, I think he did a damn good job.

Poise, leadership, and a WIN!

This more anything. Also with very little NFL experience. Lucky throw but it was still close enough to a receiver to allow him to make a play on it: something we havent seen a QB do since the Hill pass to Morgan against STL.

LOLWHUT????