LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 319 users in the forums

The NFL's # 1 Defense Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i know. defense has not been consistent.
another 3rd and long given up!!!!!!!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Wow, Brown on White the entire drive. This guy is and has been garbage for years...players playing off deep. letting quick passes to the sidelines and getting out of bounds, zero pressure save for a couple from Haralson/Smith, etc. OLB's asked to continue to cover 20 yards down the field, remains terrible in coverage in the middle of the field (includes everyone, even Willis), etc. The defense FINDS a way to lose when the game is on the line...every time...this is part of a losing culture. I've been saying it for years but a bad team finds great ways to lose and it just amazes me how creative we are at finding new ways to lose each and every week. The underline theme is...dumb! We just don't have smart players or coaches. Now that Johnson looks promising, it's time to turn the heat over to Manusky!

BTW: We may need to look at benching Goldson...was HORRIBLE today. Worst safety play I've seen since Mark Roman!

Mr. NCommand- we need to blitz more
What about the comments Rodney Harrison made prior to the game. From his experience as a defensive player, he said it affects the defense's momentum, aggressiveness and mentality when the offense is continuously turning the ball over.

So, this subjective comment completely gets overlooked but when Steve Young makes a subjective comment about Smith's mentality, it's taken as 100 more excuses.
Originally posted by nyc49erking:
For how many years are going to keep saying this defense is good ? They never stop a good passing team, never get any pass rush on the opposing qb, and THEY CANT EVER STOP A TEAM IN THE FOURTH QUARTER, EVER.

This defense has let us down, time after time, after time. Everybody loves Willis, but the brother cant even recognize a simply screen pass play. The heat needs to be put on the defensive players and Manusky, his job should not be safe either. They dont produce in the future, send them all home.

Alex Smith.
Has anyone done some serious analysis of this? I'm having a hard time understanding how our run defense, which was amongst the tops in the league, has totally gone down the crapper. Did we get hurt by the swap of Taylor Mays for Michael Lewis? The more high profile scapegoats aside, our run defense stinks. Would like to hear from those with a passion for the defensive side of the ball.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Has anyone done some serious analysis of this? I'm having a hard time understanding how our run defense, which was amongst the tops in the league, has totally gone down the crapper. Did we get hurt by the swap of Taylor Mays for Michael Lewis? The more high profile scapegoats aside, our run defense stinks. Would like to hear from those with a passion for the defensive side of the ball.

I have no idea. It's not like we are only getting hurt up the middle. Teams are running effectively on us on the edges also. I think, as was said by Collinsworth, that they are allowing Franklin to pick his direction and pushing him towards that same direction. This allows one blocker on him and allows for the Guard to move up to Willis so that he can't cover the cutback.

Our OLBs aren't sealing the edges either. Manny has done a decent job but Parys and his backup are not doing well.

Someone with more knowledge about how the defense operates and how Manusky moves them around probably knows more in detail.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:

I have no idea. It's not like we are only getting hurt up the middle. Teams are running effectively on us on the edges also. I think, as was said by Collinsworth, that they are allowing Franklin to pick his direction and pushing him towards that same direction. This allows one blocker on him and allows for the Guard to move up to Willis so that he can't cover the cutback.

Our OLBs aren't sealing the edges either. Manny has done a decent job but Parys and his backup are not doing well.

Someone with more knowledge about how the defense operates and how Manusky moves them around probably knows more in detail.
I have been watching the DL a lot and the point Collinsworth pointed out is something I have noticed, and Gary Plummer has mentioned it as well.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
The only problem with our defense is Patrick Willis is not playing on the same level has he did in previous years. He use to cover so much field, this year, not so much. I wish the real Patrick Willis would come back.

LaBoy is pretty terrible in run defense, but obviously him alone doesn't account for the decline

I think it starts up front, for example Smith hasn't been the same, but then again he was all-pro godly last year

It all starts with the man in the middle. A. Franklin is getting his @ss kicked regularly.
Yep, these guys need to step it up. FAST. We got the Raiders coming up and they're looking alot better than we are...F$%^ing Sad.
Originally posted by Chief:
The only problem with our defense is Patrick Willis is not playing on the same level has he did in previous years. He use to cover so much field, this year, not so much. I wish the real Patrick Willis would come back.

How about the one that did not have $50+ million and lots of custom cars, endorsements, and Playboy ho's?
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:

How about the one that did not have $50+ million and lots of custom cars, endorsements, and Playboy ho's?

and he posed naked for playgirls or some s**t, got his priorities all wrong this offseason
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:

Willis is having to take on blockers because A Frank is getting handled up front.
Share 49ersWebzone