There are 249 users in the forums

The NFL's # 1 Defense Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by Chief:
The only problem with our defense is Patrick Willis is not playing on the same level has he did in previous years. He use to cover so much field, this year, not so much. I wish the real Patrick Willis would come back.

How about the one that did not have $50+ million and lots of custom cars, endorsements, and Playboy ho's?

and he posed naked for playgirls or some s**t, got his priorities all wrong this offseason

Patrick Willis was in playgirl?

WTF?
Did you guys see the Vikings game? Jets scored 29 points but in no way did the Vikings lose that game because of their defense.

They lost because of their QB turned the ball over and thew INT's. The defense held the Jets to 4 FGs into the 3rd quarter but just couldn't hold on much longer. Yes, multiple turnovers game in and game out does affect the defense also.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Has anyone done some serious analysis of this? I'm having a hard time understanding how our run defense, which was amongst the tops in the league, has totally gone down the crapper. Did we get hurt by the swap of Taylor Mays for Michael Lewis? The more high profile scapegoats aside, our run defense stinks. Would like to hear from those with a passion for the defensive side of the ball.

It all starts with the man in the middle. A. Franklin is getting his @ss kicked regularly.

It almost seems as though he's slanting too hard and not holding his position. Hope that's not a Manusky strategy.
  • Brew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Has anyone done some serious analysis of this? I'm having a hard time understanding how our run defense, which was amongst the tops in the league, has totally gone down the crapper. Did we get hurt by the swap of Taylor Mays for Michael Lewis? The more high profile scapegoats aside, our run defense stinks. Would like to hear from those with a passion for the defensive side of the ball.

It all starts with the man in the middle. A. Franklin is getting his @ss kicked regularly.

It almost seems as though he's slanting too hard and not holding his position. Hope that's not a Manusky strategy.
Originally posted by Brew:

This. I'm surprised more people haven't jumped on Franklin's lack of production. Last year, he was a machine in the middle. Every game, you'd see him taking RBs down in the backfield, getting penetration, getting his hands on passes, etc. This year, nada. Smith finally had a decent game yesterday with a couple of sacks, but I couldn't even tell you who our other DE is at this point. You'll hear more of P. Willy and our LBs when our front line starts doing their jobs better.

Another thing, will we EVER send a CB or safety blitz??? Clements and Spencer are good-tackling CBs. Remember Spencer against the Lions a couple years ago and that smash he laid on whoever was QBing for the Lions back then? Damn. Some creativity would be nice.
This D failed on Sunday, plain and simple. Made Kolb look like a stud. That first TD drive by our O was big, but the way our D let Kolb march down and get 7 back so quick was embarrassing...I knew it was gonna be a long day after that. Sing needs to realize that this D is wildly overrated, and we need to score points to win, yes we need to SCORE POINTS. We can't rely on our D, only an imbecile would do that (Sing).
The defense sucks
anyone else notice that Reggie Smith has been invisible as the 3rd safety?

1 solo tackle, and 1 assist through 5 games

Mark Roman had 53 total last year
  • dmax
  • Veteran
worst defense..ive seen in twenty yrs...This defense couldnt stop a cold
Did you guys see the Vikings game? Jets scored 29 points but in no way did the Vikings lose that game because of their defense.

They lost because of their QB turned the ball over and thew INT's. The defense held the Jets to 4 FGs into the 3rd quarter but just couldn't hold on much longer. Yes, multiple turnovers game in and game out does affect the defense also.

This!

Where is Dashan Goldson? He is like the invisible man out there. Sure he makes a nice tackle from time to time. However, I haven't seem him make many plays in the passing game which you need from a FS. I believe he is a FA. Give Reggie Smith a shot if Goldson isn't cutting it.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners6262:
Where is Dashan Goldson? He is like the invisible man out there. Sure he makes a nice tackle from time to time. However, I haven't seem him make many plays in the passing game which you need from a FS. I believe he is a FA. Give Reggie Smith a shot if Goldson isn't cutting it.

Goldson made a couple of plays on Celek on the last two defensive series. He played good bump and run....but his coverage skills in space have always sucked.
Originally posted by DShanghai69er:
Originally posted by Brew:

This. I'm surprised more people haven't jumped on Franklin's lack of production. Last year, he was a machine in the middle. Every game, you'd see him taking RBs down in the backfield, getting penetration, getting his hands on passes, etc. This year, nada. Smith finally had a decent game yesterday with a couple of sacks, but I couldn't even tell you who our other DE is at this point. You'll hear more of P. Willy and our LBs when our front line starts doing their jobs better.

Another thing, will we EVER send a CB or safety blitz??? Clements and Spencer are good-tackling CBs. Remember Spencer against the Lions a couple years ago and that smash he laid on whoever was QBing for the Lions back then? Damn. Some creativity would be nice.

I had been saying this from week one. He has been gettinghis a$$ handed to him week in and week out. Last year was a contract year and I think he might have had extra motivation trying to play for a big contract. This year even though he is a franchise player he is not as effectve. Is it because he missed all of training camp? Is it because he is not as motivated? I don't know but I think RJF showed he can take the load in the preseason and get some push. I would like to see him in there more if Franklin continues to stink it up.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

This!

If that was our team with Alex Smith, 49ers fans would be saying that it was the defense's fault. But if you watch another team's QB make big mistakes and then that teams defense finally give, we say that QB didn't play well and hurt his team the most.

Our defense isn't great, but their goal is to keep it at 17 or under. They kept it to 20 which isn't playing bad when you consider 3 or 4 turnovers by the offense.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

This!

If that was our team with Alex Smith, 49ers fans would be saying that it was the defense's fault. But if you watch another team's QB make big mistakes and then that teams defense finally give, we say that QB didn't play well and hurt his team the most.

Our defense isn't great, but their goal is to keep it at 17 or under. They kept it to 20 which isn't playing bad when you consider 3 or 4 turnovers by the offense.

Exactly my arguments in the "rewatched the game thread." It's crazy that some people can watch so much football, yet still not know what the f**k they're looking at.
Share 49ersWebzone