There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

ESPN: Smith worst QB in NFC West and getting worse

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Smith should be able to trust VD, Morgan and even Ziegler out there. Crabs, I can see why he'd be weary of chucking it up to him.

Vernon doesn't have the best hands. Morgan? The guy is ok, but I won't throw jump-balls his way. Ziegler - how many times does he line up in the game?

You throw jump balls to two kind of players - a) WRs with great hands and the ability to adjust in the air while catching the ball b) WRs who are tall and can jump high and get the ball at the highest point.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Smith should be able to trust VD, Morgan and even Ziegler out there. Crabs, I can see why he'd be weary of chucking it up to him.

Vernon doesn't have the best hands. Morgan? The guy is ok, but I won't throw jump-balls his way. Ziegler - how many times does he line up in the game?

You throw jump balls to two kind of players - a) WRs with great hands and the ability to adjust in the air while catching the ball b) WRs who are tall and can jump high and get the ball at the highest point.

desperate times call for desperate measures. Just saying. We're losing by 3 TD's in the 4th. Time to start taking some chances.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
sometimes, the defense gives you one on one. Sometimes you gotta take a chance. Smith rarely does. Also depends on the situations. if it's 3rd and 10, you're down by 3 TD's, you don't check it down for a 2 yard gain.

Thank you! This has been one of the biggest problems with Smith's game. He is so risk-averse, that it actually becomes a bigger risk than taking shots down the field, because you're just not moving the ball. I'm sure defenses get giddy when they see all those check downs...
On NFL Network's Greatest 100, they were commenting on a player (I forgot who - may have been Steve Young...)

The comment was (about a QB) "Sometimes you just have to let it go and hope for the best!" ....or something like that....


Let it go, Alex, you prick!!!! I'd can suffer your inevitable INTs better if you at least threw the ball downfield instead of your passes that go for 6 yards (short of the 1st down marker and get tipped in the air for an INT).
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
On NFL Network's Greatest 100, they were commenting on a player (I forgot who - may have been Steve Young...)

The comment was (about a QB) "Sometimes you just have to let it go and hope for the best!" ....or something like that....


Let it go, Alex, you prick!!!! I'd can suffer your inevitable INTs better if you at least threw the ball downfield instead of your passes that go for 6 yards (short of the 1st down marker and get tipped in the air for an INT).

It's funny, I remember a Steve Young interview on KNBR where he essentially said the same thing about Alex. You can go on and on and on about how the progression through X Y Z receivers forces you to check it down. But at some point, the ball has to come out. You HAVE to get vertical. That's ALL on the QB...
True statements.
Originally posted by Smokie:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by maximill15:
he had a serious case of happy feet yesterday! STAND IN THE DAMN POCKET!

dude it was way more than that. kind of hard to stay in the pocket when Chilo & Davis are getting burnt on every snap.

Really good QBs make something out of nothing sometimes. Smith makes nothing out of something often. Why does everyone else in the NFL see this but somehow the people who have watched for six years can't see it? FORGET THE FACT THAT HE WAS PICKED 1st OVERALL!! It doesn't matter anymore.
Originally posted by maximill15:
he had a serious case of happy feet yesterday! STAND IN THE DAMN POCKET!

and throw the f**kin ball downfield
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I WISH we had access to game film that covers the entire field. I'm willing to bet there is at least one person open down field on just about every play that Smith dumps it off for a 2 yard gain.

Majority of 49er fans lack football knowledge...
Were you singing his praises last week.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I WISH we had access to game film that covers the entire field. I'm willing to bet there is at least one person open down field on just about every play that Smith dumps it off for a 2 yard gain.

I wish this as well

But what boggles me is all the times he rolls right to buy 3-5 seconds and never finds anyone open. The crazy thing is a WR doesnt have to be open to get a completion as long as you can place it somewhere the WR can get it only.

Smith throws it where everyone and their mother can tip it
[ Edited by blizzuntz on Sep 27, 2010 at 12:36 PM ]
Smith had another s*itty game. And I lost a little more faith... but, do we agree that he is better than Carr? Yes, I hope. If so, why the hell don't we play to Smith's strengths? Spread it out, down the field. He likes throwing down the middle. We have seen him succeed in two min drives and in the spread. He isn't good enough to adapt to a different style. So, lets play to his strengths instead of having the same discussions about him every week.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
How long til we see Carr starting?

I say as early as the second half of Falcons game. Smith really needs to come out of the gate fast Sunday.
what has been the ONE constant through all the coaching changes through 2005....

ALEX SMITH

he won't be re-signed and sing will get fired at the end of the year.
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Originally posted by NJNiner:
How long til we see Carr starting?

I say as early as the second half of Falcons game. Smith really needs to come out of the gate fast Sunday.

I hope we see Troy Smith before we see Carr (Alex Smith Beta Version).
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
sometimes, the defense gives you one on one. Sometimes you gotta take a chance. Smith rarely does. Also depends on the situations. if it's 3rd and 10, you're down by 3 TD's, you don't check it down for a 2 yard gain.

I agree with you on this point, but are you willing to live with a deflected pass that might get intercepted. I'd guess you or others on this board would jump all over his a_s for the pick and then throw out the he's not accurate enough. Our receivers don't fight for any balls and constantly get beat by dbs on toss up throws.