Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by mickey49:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
sometimes, the defense gives you one on one. Sometimes you gotta take a chance. Smith rarely does. Also depends on the situations. if it's 3rd and 10, you're down by 3 TD's, you don't check it down for a 2 yard gain.

Thank you! This has been one of the biggest problems with Smith's game. He is so risk-averse, that it actually becomes a bigger risk than taking shots down the field, because you're just not moving the ball. I'm sure defenses get giddy when they see all those check downs...

Rod Brooks was confirming today that all during the OTAs and pre-season, Jimmy Raye was drilling it into his head that he had 3 seconds to get rid of the ball. If the first choice wasn't there, check it down but DO NOT take a chance on turning the ball over. Smith has been being a good soldier. Let's hope the new general will put guys in position so that he can take some shots down the field and give his teammates a chance to make some plays.

It was too bad Smith never had a chance to play in the Martz offense. Martz said Smith was ready to take over the week he re-injured his shoulder. It would have been interesting.

But again, somewhere along the line "instincts" have to take over. I have no problem with Alex's "good guy" mentality. He's helluva person off the field, and does everything he is told from a coaching perspective. But comeon.....your team is down by 2 TDs........you have a 2nd and 20 deep inside your own territory, and you opt for a 5 yard dink because "thats what my coach taught me" ?

You dont find anything wrong with that ?
What I find wrong is the same thing I have been saying all season, THE SCHEME IS WRONG AND THE PERSONNEL IS WRONG!!! You can throw the ball down the field if you don't have a receiver even running down the field much less getting open.

The 49er wide receivers are NOT GOOD. Morgan is a starter because he is a very good downfield blocker. Crabtree is starting because he was paid a lot of money, not because he is good. Ziegler is behind Crabtree which tells us how good he is. Ted Ginn was given a cup of stale coffee and a day old donut while he waited by the phone in Miami for a phone call from the 49ers, the only team that was willing to give him a shot.

Instead of Brian Westbrook in the game, a guy who can get open, we have Moran Norris. ETC., ETC....

Those are very encouraging things to consider if you are the QB.

agree with all of that, but how does that fix Smith's propensity to be inaccurate, have poor downfield reads, show little to no leadership, and demonstrate poor mechanics?
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Interesting. Either he's getting told he's done OR he's being told Atlanta is his last game if he doesn't perform and he has full access to the playbook. Or he's thanking the mgmt for firing Jimmy.

Per Mindi Bach.

Alex Smith usually speaks to the media in front of his locker on Mondays; today, he's been in meetings all morning; will speak later
23 minutes ago .

or Mike Johnson is going over what his expectations are or Johnson is asking Alex what he likes and doesnt like. A lot of things can be going on right now
sometimes, the defense gives you one on one. Sometimes you gotta take a chance. Smith rarely does. Also depends on the situations. if it's 3rd and 10, you're down by 3 TD's, you don't check it down for a 2 yard gain.

Thank you! This has been one of the biggest problems with Smith's game. He is so risk-averse, that it actually becomes a bigger risk than taking shots down the field, because you're just not moving the ball. I'm sure defenses get giddy when they see all those check downs...

Rod Brooks was confirming today that all during the OTAs and pre-season, Jimmy Raye was drilling it into his head that he had 3 seconds to get rid of the ball. If the first choice wasn't there, check it down but DO NOT take a chance on turning the ball over. Smith has been being a good soldier. Let's hope the new general will put guys in position so that he can take some shots down the field and give his teammates a chance to make some plays.

It was too bad Smith never had a chance to play in the Martz offense. Martz said Smith was ready to take over the week he re-injured his shoulder. It would have been interesting.

But again, somewhere along the line "instincts" have to take over. I have no problem with Alex's "good guy" mentality. He's helluva person off the field, and does everything he is told from a coaching perspective. But comeon.....your team is down by 2 TDs........you have a 2nd and 20 deep inside your own territory, and you opt for a 5 yard dink because "thats what my coach taught me" ?

Its been said over and over that NO ONE WAS OPEN. This is the double standard I dont get. If he checks down then its "Oh captain check down"...if he throws it and takes a chance and misses then its "Oh what a poor decision."

Alexcuse number 467: NO ONE WAS OPEN.

Right, cause in the NFL where professional players (including a probowler in VD) cannot beat rookie safeties on their routes.

Are you retarded or just plain dumb? I didn't make any excuses. They said this on tv or radio. I think even Lynch made this comment. I'm not saying it's every play. Just the one you're referring to.
Interesting. Either he's getting told he's done OR he's being told Atlanta is his last game if he doesn't perform and he has full access to the playbook. Or he's thanking the mgmt for firing Jimmy.

Per Mindi Bach.

Alex Smith usually speaks to the media in front of his locker on Mondays; today, he's been in meetings all morning; will speak later
23 minutes ago .

I'm assuming he and the new OC have A LOT of work to do.

Per Mindi Bach.

23 minutes ago .

I'm assuming he and the new OC have A LOT of work to do.

Mike - cmon man, you gave one to everybody else
Alex - I know but, its just getting so frustrating
Mike - alright well, let me just see what David will be open to
Alex - Fine, but when will you people just start liking me for me you know
Mike - soon Alex, soon
Alex - mmm mmm mmm
[ Edited by danimal on Sep 27, 2010 at 1:43 PM ]

Its been said over and over that NO ONE WAS OPEN. This is the double standard I dont get. If he checks down then its "Oh captain check down"...if he throws it and takes a chance and misses then its "Oh what a poor decision."

Right, cause in the NFL where professional players (including a probowler in VD) cannot beat rookie safeties on their routes.

I agree. Good quarterbacks make oppurtunies. Alex is too scared to take a chance.

I was watching the Jets game last night and Sanchez hit Braylon on a criticial 3rd down and long on bracket coverage. He saw the corner wasn't looking and quickly made a perfect pass. That's something we'll never see out of Alex.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 27, 2010 at 1:45 PM ]
Very overly simplistic. The media always only looks at the QB and thinks that's all there is. Just like most fans.

~ How does it explain why we can't get our plays in on time?
~ How does it explain the players can't understand the OC?
~ Explain why our PR guys can't catch a punt?
~ Explain why we get out coached and out schemed in every single game?
~ Why is our ownership so reactionary instead of being proactive?

This is a dysfunctional organization don't kid yourself. You could just as easily say we have the "WORST OWNERSHIP IN THE LEAGUE" and it's getting worse...

I think you could make a real strong argument for that.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 27, 2010 at 1:58 PM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Very overly simplistic. The media always only looks at the QB and thinks that's all there is. Just like most fans.

This is a dysfunctional organization don't kid yourself. You could just as easily say we have the "WORST OWNERSHIP IN THE LEAGUE" and it's getting worse...

If Smith would come out of the damn chute and play like Ryan, Flacco, Roethlisberger, or so many others, you would be singing the praises of our management team. Alex is a cancer in this organization. He has the NFL QB version of Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy - everyone around him *but him* gets hurt, but he is the one inflicting the harm.
Originally posted by Shaj:

If Smith would come out of the damn chute and play like Ryan, Flacco, Roethlisberger, or so many others, you would be singing the praises of our management team. Alex is a cancer in this organization. He has the NFL QB version of Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy - everyone around him *but him* gets hurt, but he is the one inflicting the harm.

Flacco has looked pretty bad so far this year.

no one was open, because smith is scrambling before wr's make their cuts! He gets SOOO scared in the pocket he just gets rid of it! And the one deep pass to crabtree, he over threw!

This is like some sort of deranged Odd Couple.
Originally posted by jreff22:

so not the point.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jreff22:

Even the best QBs have had partially bad years; put Brett Favre in that category this year too. Conversely, only the WORST QBs have bad CAREERS. That is what we have in year 6 (and counting) of the Alex Smith experiment.

You don't think the organization is part of the problem? What is the "plan" other than reactionary? Do you see anything proactive with them? Hiring proven winners? Strong experienced GM?

We have a SUCK organization. It's the worst in the league and among the worst in all of sports.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Lets see the worst QB in the NFC west.

the NFC west is the worst division in the NFL

Smith = Worst QB in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone