There are 244 users in the forums

ESPN: Smith worst QB in NFC West and getting worse

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WestCoast:
what has been the ONE constant through all the coaching changes through 2005....

ALEX SMITH

he won't be re-signed and sing will get fired at the end of the year.

Don't be so sure. If Johnson spreads the offense out (which he will) and Smith and co do well (which they have when we open the offense) then he will stay and Sings job might be saved.

But to conclude with certainty that this move was bad for Smith or that "heez dun dood" doesnt seem ljkely considering Johnsons area of expertise. If that was the case they would have benched Smith and kept the run first philosophy and started Davis who could just chuck it every now and then.
  • dj43
Originally posted by mickey49:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
sometimes, the defense gives you one on one. Sometimes you gotta take a chance. Smith rarely does. Also depends on the situations. if it's 3rd and 10, you're down by 3 TD's, you don't check it down for a 2 yard gain.

Thank you! This has been one of the biggest problems with Smith's game. He is so risk-averse, that it actually becomes a bigger risk than taking shots down the field, because you're just not moving the ball. I'm sure defenses get giddy when they see all those check downs...

Rod Brooks was confirming today that all during the OTAs and pre-season, Jimmy Raye was drilling it into his head that he had 3 seconds to get rid of the ball. If the first choice wasn't there, check it down but DO NOT take a chance on turning the ball over. Smith has been being a good soldier. Let's hope the new general will put guys in position so that he can take some shots down the field and give his teammates a chance to make some plays.

It was too bad Smith never had a chance to play in the Martz offense. Martz said Smith was ready to take over the week he re-injured his shoulder. It would have been interesting.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Originally posted by NJNiner:
How long til we see Carr starting?

I say as early as the second half of Falcons game. Smith really needs to come out of the gate fast Sunday.

I hope we see Troy Smith before we see Carr (Alex Smith Beta Version).

Hah! I think Carr was a bust before A. Smith. Now we have two #1 pick busts and a failed Heisman winner. Maybe we should pick up Jamarcus to round things out.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
On NFL Network's Greatest 100, they were commenting on a player (I forgot who - may have been Steve Young...)

The comment was (about a QB) "Sometimes you just have to let it go and hope for the best!" ....or something like that....

Let it go, Alex, you prick!!!! I'd can suffer your inevitable INTs better if you at least threw the ball downfield instead of your passes that go for 6 yards (short of the 1st down marker and get tipped in the air for an INT).
I too am frustrated with the failure to go downfield but the WRs have no speed and Crabtree doesn't read the defense well at all yet and has been very averse to contact. Those things don't make for a very confident QB.
As soon as smith rolls right he has given up and he throws it out of bounds. I have seen that play so many times recently it make me want to puke.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by dj43:
sometimes, the defense gives you one on one. Sometimes you gotta take a chance. Smith rarely does. Also depends on the situations. if it's 3rd and 10, you're down by 3 TD's, you don't check it down for a 2 yard gain.

Thank you! This has been one of the biggest problems with Smith's game. He is so risk-averse, that it actually becomes a bigger risk than taking shots down the field, because you're just not moving the ball. I'm sure defenses get giddy when they see all those check downs...

Rod Brooks was confirming today that all during the OTAs and pre-season, Jimmy Raye was drilling it into his head that he had 3 seconds to get rid of the ball. If the first choice wasn't there, check it down but DO NOT take a chance on turning the ball over. Smith has been being a good soldier. Let's hope the new general will put guys in position so that he can take some shots down the field and give his teammates a chance to make some plays.

It was too bad Smith never had a chance to play in the Martz offense. Martz said Smith was ready to take over the week he re-injured his shoulder. It would have been interesting.

But again, somewhere along the line "instincts" have to take over. I have no problem with Alex's "good guy" mentality. He's helluva person off the field, and does everything he is told from a coaching perspective. But comeon.....your team is down by 2 TDs........you have a 2nd and 20 deep inside your own territory, and you opt for a 5 yard dink because "thats what my coach taught me" ?

You dont find anything wrong with that ?
I say, Sign TRENT EDWARDS!

The guy had no weapons and absolutely no protection when he was a Bill.

He needs a 2nd chance with the weapons and semi protection that the 49ers have.

I know it might never happen but hey...Its just a thought.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SituationCoach:

worst first post in the WZ ever.
Originally posted by Shaj:

worst first post in the WZ ever.

LOL. Hey we are 0-3....might as well throw some crazy/stupid ideas out there.
Originally posted by ZRF80:

But again, somewhere along the line "instincts" have to take over. I have no problem with Alex's "good guy" mentality. He's helluva person off the field, and does everything he is told from a coaching perspective. But comeon.....your team is down by 2 TDs........you have a 2nd and 20 deep inside your own territory, and you opt for a 5 yard dink because "thats what my coach taught me" ?

Its been said over and over that NO ONE WAS OPEN. This is the double standard I dont get. If he checks down then its "Oh captain check down"...if he throws it and takes a chance and misses then its "Oh what a poor decision."

LOL
  • dj43

What I find wrong is the same thing I have been saying all season, THE SCHEME IS WRONG AND THE PERSONNEL IS WRONG!!! You can throw the ball down the field if you don't have a receiver even running down the field much less getting open.

The 49er wide receivers are NOT GOOD. Morgan is a starter because he is a very good downfield blocker. Crabtree is starting because he was paid a lot of money, not because he is good. Ziegler is behind Crabtree which tells us how good he is. Ted Ginn was given a cup of stale coffee and a day old donut while he waited by the phone in Miami for a phone call from the 49ers, the only team that was willing to give him a shot.

Instead of Brian Westbrook in the game, a guy who can get open, we have Moran Norris. ETC., ETC....

Those are very encouraging things to consider if you are the QB.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Its been said over and over that NO ONE WAS OPEN. This is the double standard I dont get. If he checks down then its "Oh captain check down"...if he throws it and takes a chance and misses then its "Oh what a poor decision."

Alexcuse number 467: NO ONE WAS OPEN.

Right, cause in the NFL where professional players (including a probowler in VD) cannot beat rookie safeties on their routes.

[ Edited by ZRF80 on Sep 27, 2010 at 1:34 PM ]
Smith..you're inconsistent...bottom line...no consistency means no success...it's that simple.
Interesting. Either he's getting told he's done OR he's being told Atlanta is his last game if he doesn't perform and he has full access to the playbook. Or he's thanking the mgmt for firing Jimmy.

Per Mindi Bach.

Alex Smith usually speaks to the media in front of his locker on Mondays; today, he's been in meetings all morning; will speak later
23 minutes ago .
Share 49ersWebzone